SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marjory_

Addition to small older home; pros & cons of separate structure

Marjory S
5 years ago

We have a barely 1000 sf stone-sided home on 2.5 acres in a rural setting we love. One bedroom, one bath, very small kitchen. My husband also has a small business (music recording/production) in the home, which has been his priority. When we married last year, we knew we would want to add at least 600 sf on to the house and we have begun talking to contractors. We would like a slightly larger kitchen, a second bathroom, and a master bedroom with large, perhaps walk-in, closet. I would like to stay in tune with the style of the existing rustic old house. The basic question that I am having the most trouble with, is whether to build a regular addition to the home or a separate building attached by a covered walkway or dogtrot. If we did the latter, the kitchen would be probably be in the new section, and the old kitchen would become mostly new bathroom. The contractor we interviewed suggested the separate structure idea would save a few thousand dollars, not much in the scheme of things. But putting stone siding to match the old house on a new addition would be very costly and I suspect a different siding would make more sense visually if the structures were separate. I appreciate any thoughts.

Comments (20)