SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mytemporaryacct

Pros / Cons of composting in the same area as planting ?

I found hardened clay under the 13" of of my soil. I dug a trench to plant for this spring, but currently stopped at this depth where the clay becomes hard clay. I am planning to continue the digging with the purchase of a spud (or St. Angelo bar) and this trench will reach 2 feet in depth (or more if needed). The top 12" will get compost mixed with my silty clay (46 to 60% clay) soil. So, there will be 33% compost mixed with this yard soil at the top 1 feet. So this top 16 " is enough for the plants i intend to grow in this.

Between 18" and 24" depth, i am considering putting in layers of composting material, and let it decompose at that depth for a year. The plan is to till all that compost into the same trench, for continued improvement of this silty clay soil that has been ignored for many years. There will be 2" of Pine bark mulch at the depth of 16" to 18" to separate the composting materials (and to provide them with better aeration). I expect this scheme to finish composting by the time i dig this up again next March.

For various reasons, creating a separate hole/trench (for the sole purpose of composting) is not under consideration. Above ground composting is also ruled out. I would like to know the pitfalls in this scheme, before i proceed with this. Thanks for your comments.

Comments (30)