SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_sublett46

1957 Kitchen - Open or closed? Updated or vintage?

Ashley
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Since I got so much awesome feedback on my first Houzz post ever, I'm gonna ask for more help! ;-) I am trying to decide on a game plan for my 1957 kitchen. I have included pictures of various angles to help give you an idea of the layout.

While I love the vintage cabinets, hardware, hood range, etc., the layout is awkward I have no dishwasher at the moment (which is a MUST-have), there is a ton of wasted space between the refrigerator & cabinets, and even though I know it's period-typical, I am bothered that it is cut-off from the living room (I guess I'm accustomed to the "open" floor plans of newer homes.)

Here are some photos:

This is looking into the kitchen from the eating area.

The awkward space between the refrigerator and cabinets.

Notice the cornice detail above the sink and the original NuTone range hood. :)

Looking into the eating area from the kitchen. Please excuse our messy table. :)

View from the kitchen into the living room.

The wall that separates the living room from the kitchen.

Our front door, which is directly across from the wall the separates the living room and kitchen.

Also, the floors in the kitchen are not original. The previous owner replaced the kitchen flooring with a "wood look" vinyl floor to try to match the original oak hardwoods throughout the rest of the house. What kind of flooring should I put in the kitchen? Extend the hardwoods or some sort of tile?

Here are my issues with the kitchen as it is:

1. No dishwasher
  2. Wasted space between fridge & cabinets/counters
  3. Ugly floors
  4. Feels a little cut off from living space (but that was typical of houses in 1957, so I don't know if I should change it??!)
  5. Replace the original counters or leave as is? Chrome or un-lacquered brass?
  6. Kind of want a modern kitchen, but feel like I'd be cheating on the original kitchen details

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks! :)

Comments (25)