Lord of the Rings TV show

Rosefolly

Really? Really?

Somehow this seems wrong to me, and I have been reading these books since the 1960's. And yes, I do like the Peter Jackson movies.

https://screenrant.com/lord-rings-tv-show-map-not-silmarillion-young-aragorn-amazon/

SaveComment9Like
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rouan

I'm with you Rosefolly. I am a long time fan of LoTR too and I have misgivings about this project. On the one hand, as a fan I want it to work, but on the other hand, I don't want them to ruin the world Tolkein created and I fell in love with.

Save    
donnamira

Oh dear, I think this is another TV show I'm going to skip. I'm another longtime fan of LotR as well, having read my original Ballantine/Barbara Remington cover paperbacks to shreds. I can't imagine a modern TV show that can stay true to the Tolkien's vision. I hated how the Little House books were bastardized by TV.

Save    
sheri_z6

Oh, yikes. I'm afraid this cannot possibly be good. The Peter Jackson LoTR films -- though IMO not his Hobbit -- were miraculously close to what I envisioned when I read and re-read the books (though I am still annoyed by the film's treatment of Faramir, the dwarf-tossing joke, and Legolas surfing down a flight of stairs on a shield -- perhaps it's time for me to get over this?).

Bottom line, I cannot image anyone else even getting close to doing right by Middle-earth. I will plan to give this series a miss.

Save    
Rosefolly

I actually liked the surfing incident. It tickled my funny bone.

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

No TV and I haven't seen the movies, but I'm a very long time fan of Tolkien and have read the LOTR over 15 times. I really enjoy The Prancing Pony Podcast--two very bright, articulate men (though they sometimes get a little silly as they digress) who discuss and analyze first The Silmarillion, then The Hobbit, and are now on the LOTR. I binge listened to the earlier ones over a 4 month period and am now caught up. They also occasionally have on many Tolkien experts--Cory Olsen, Tom Shippey and others. If you love Tolkien, give them a try. https://theprancingponypodcast.com/

BTW, they (politely) detested the Hobbit film.

2 Likes Save    
rouan

Laceyvail, thanks for letting us know about the Prancing Pony Podcast. I have been playing catchup with the Hobbit section (I started with that first since I'm about to re-read it). Althoigh I don't always agree with everything they say, they hav given me much to mull over before I start my re-read.

Save    
Rosefolly

Thank you Lacey and Rouan - I have subscribed as well. I doubt I'll listen to all of the episodes, but I expect to enjoy the ones I do hear.

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

I strongly recommend starting with the first ones (though their inexperience as podcasters shows just a little, they improve fast). So much of the Silmarillion informs both the Hobbit and LOTR, that your enjoyment of both will be hugely enhanced. I binge listened for over 4 months before I caught up, and now wait impatiently for each weekly podast. I also reread the Silmarillion as I listened and found it much easier to follow and understand. It is dense and radically different from the novels; it is the mythological background that lies behind the novels. Deeply rich and challenging.

Save     Thanked by Rosefolly
Rosefolly

So far I have listened to the first one. I prefer to start series books with the first one as well.

By the way, there has recently been some updating to the LotR series to be filmed by Amazon. It will be set in the Second Age (possibly not the original plan) will be about the Numenorians, and it will be filmed in New Zealand, not Scotland as once considered. Sauron was around in those days so he will be featured. Peter Jackson will not be involved.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides 15 Cool Rooms and the TV Shows They Want You to Watch
Get nestled in with the fall 2014 premieres, some old favorite shows and a coordinating nosh
Full Story
Design Pop A ‘Lord of the Rings’ Fan Makes His Dream Hobbit House
A New York construction supervisor and his family spend more than 6 years building this cozy, movie-inspired cottage
Full Story
Decorating Guides New Strategies for Hiding the TV
Its easy to be discreet when you've got cabinets, panels and high-tech TV hiders like these
Full Story