SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parma42

Favorite new (or any) TV shows

parma42
14 years ago

DH and I are really enjoying TNT's "Men of a Certain Age".

We started watching it because Andre Braugher, who was the much underappreciated star of "Homicide", is in the cast. Ray Romano and Scott Bakula are the other male leads.

It seems we're viewing more cable than network TV. We also love "The Closer" TNT (DH's favorite) and "In Plain Sight" USA.

The quirky comedy "Better off Ted" ABC seems destined for cancellation, after a short run. Portia de Rossi (Arrested Development) is a hoot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Men of a Certain Age

Comments (41)

• User
    14 years ago

We purposely only have basic cable and I try to limit myself or I'd have a big list for you. :) I'd probably like that show you listed.

One new show we like is Accidently On Purpose. DH and I like Davis.

My stuff is on in a row Monday night. How I Met Your Mother, Accidently On Purpose, Three & 1/2 Men I could live without, and The Big Bang Theory. How I Met Your Mother is still my favorite.

We did somehow get sucked into the last (our first) American Idol. Trying not to watch this time. Also we like America's Got Talent.

DH likes Bones.

• User
    14 years ago

We like Gary Unmarried too.

• Related Discussions

Will our favorite TV gardening shows return?

Q

Comments (3)
    GGG - I had no idea that Animal Planet had any type of garden show - guess I should check out daytime shows a little better. Anyway watched it today and a big "thumbs-up". It is now set for a season pass on TiVo so I won't miss any episodes. I have always wanted to get a National Wildlife certification - this show will help me get off my butt and get the paperwork filled. It never ceases to amaze me how many tips and ideas I get from this forum and a couple of others (Garden Junk and Wintersowing). Many times this place is a better wealth of info and ideas than any TV show but thanks for mentioning that show - I will enjoy it.... Lynne
    ...See More

Favorite T.V. shows

Q

Comments (24)
    I forgot about Life and The Office. Sorry to hear Life was cancelled. I also like The Beast with Patrick Swayze. I guess I like cop shows. I hate any show that deals with hospitals. I want to avoid them...not drag myself into them...even for an attempt at entertainment. I did watch House a few times and it was okay. I never seen The Sopranos when it was on it's run because I didn't have HBO, but I started watching it on Netflix and went through all 6 seasons last year. Great show. Duane
    ...See More

Do you watch any educational TV shows?

Q

Comments (16)
    We watch a lot of the History Channel as well as the Discovery Channel. I like PBS shows, love to catch a cooking show of Julia Childs...she is a hoot to watch. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to catch a quilting show on PBS, I can't seem to find out just when they are showing! Deb
    ...See More

Have any of you seen this TV Show?

Q

Comments (9)
    It's on my Instant Queue, but I haven't watched it yet. I like Kevin Spacey, and I heard the show is very good. I was telling someone about it, and I called the show "King of Spades." Hope he found it. LOL
    ...See More
  • mrsmarv
    14 years ago

Homicide, Life on the Streets was one of my all-time favorite shows. I agree about Andre Braugher being an excellent actore (albeit underrated).

I love Ugly Betty because it's such a fun show and the casting is really spot-on. I've watched it since the first episode. It really sends a "moral to the story" lesson each week and it's done in a way that is very sensitive and caring.

The New Adventures of Old Christine is good for a barrel of laughs...Wanda Sykes is an absolute hoot!

The Good Wife is a really top-notch show. Julianna Margulies gives a stellar, complex and riveting performance. And the woman who plays Kalinda is terrific....the jury's still out on her character's real motives (no pun intended).

I really like The Closer and have been watching it on and off for a few years.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

I actually stay up late to watch The Good Wife (funny, I never saw too many ER episodes with J.M., started watching it just as her character was leaving, but that was the only other TV show I'd stay up for - actually *plan* on watching).

We don't get ABC and we don't have cable - just antenna. Even with a VHF antenna we might not pick up ABC without an amplifier and antennaweb.org doesn't recommend amplifiers in "yellow" (UHF) areas.

The kids watch PBS (both 11 yr old and 6 yr old like Cyber Chase and Maya and Miguel), DH doesn't really watch much TV (except occasional football) at all. Makes me wonder why he's been wanting an HDTV for years. Well, I think he does like all the CSIs but as far as I know doesn't watch them every week (I go to bed). Maybe just b/c it's reruns now?

Now that we finally bought a big plasma TV, I find it's great for watching DVDs. I can't wait to watch some of my old movie "chick flicks" on it - I found the original Romeo and Juliet (Olivia Hussey, not L. DiCaprio) and Brigadoon on DVD at Big Lots! Maybe tomorrow night?

• User
    14 years ago

We don't have cable at all, but do enjoy some of the HBO and Showtime programs through Netflix. Some of our favs are Big Love, The Wire (best TV show *ever*), Weeds, Six Feet Under, Entourage, In Treatment and The Tudors. All are adult only entertainment IMO.

Network shows we watch are The Amazing Race (and we make little ms. sandyponder fink the destinations in the atlas and on the globe), Lost and Modern Family. We don't care for most of the network sitcoms and don't stay up late enough for the dramas. Also, after you've gotten shows on Netflix with no commercials, it's hard to stomach any ads, so we wait for everything to come out on DVD and watch it then. It helps that we are old and don't care about being au courant...

sandyponder

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

Six Feet Under was a great show! After it ended we cancelled our HBO. Did see a bit of Rome before they cut us off, but that was waaaay too explicit for me and I'm no prude. Our DS loves Big Love and also Pushing Daisies. We haven't seen either.

• natal
    14 years ago

I love Men of a Certain Age! Sharp with great humor!

The Good Wife is another. Never saw ER, but am impressed with Julianna Margulies.

I'm even enjoying Flash Forward. Wonder when it returns?

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Wire (best TV show *ever*)

DH and I agree.

The Wire was produced by the same people who did "Homicide, Life on the Street" and Clark Johnson, who played Meldrick on Homicide factors in on "The Wire", as well (both acting and directing).

Sandy, have you had a chance to catch "The Shield"? We ended up buying the whole series after being mesmerized by the first season. I think it's a must see for fans of "The Wire".

There's kind of a six degrees of separation thing going on with that show, too. Clark Johnson directed the pilot and a few of the other episodes.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Shield

• natal
    14 years ago

Btw, did anyone catch PBS's the Young at Heart documentary the other night?

Young at Heart

Talking Heads' Road to Nowhere

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Is it too late to start watching Men of a Certain Age? Is there a plot that you need to follow or be lost?

Andre Braugher is one of those actors who just takes over the screen.

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Graywings, do you have On Demand? TNT has a few of the older episodes still showing there.

If not, just read up on one of the websites. It's only been out for a few weeks. It's not really like a soap.

• natal
    14 years ago

Graywings, definitely not too late. Not like Mad Men. You can jump right in. Three men in mid-life with all the baggage that goes with it. Read the synopsis Parma linked and you're all set.

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

Both DH and I enjoy Men of a Certain AGE a lot--we DVR it every week! We also get a kick out of Modern Family, and The Middle too.

Other favorites:
    Spectacle with Elvis Costello (Sundance)
    Hoarders (A&E)
    Mad Men (A&E)
    The Office, 30-Rock (NBC)

From DVD/Netflix:
    The Office (original with Ricky Gervais)
    Extras (another Ricky Gervais)
    Curb your Enthusiasm (HBO or DVD)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

We watch very few shows but need a new one right now (we use Netflix).
    I might get The Wire- but how gritty is this? I know it's from hbo but we loved John Adams so I'm not writing off all hbo programs.
    I don't like hearing profanity every other word or having a show that has " adult oriented situations".
    I would never ever watch Oz, for instance.

We love MI-5- the British 24 but a whole lot better.
    The new MI-5 doesn't come out until later this month.

I'm more of a "Cranford" girl myself but dh and Dad want a little more action.

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I might get The Wire- but how gritty is this?

Very, very gritty. If you don't like much profanity, I'd skip this one.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Ok- what I suspected. Thanks!

• User
    14 years ago

parma42-

Have you seen The Corner? Also done by Burns et al, a great show, and interesting to see some of the same actors (Lester and Mrs. Daniels play junkies!). The Corner was done before The Wire, not as good, frankly, but still compelling TV, and, of course, nothing can ever touch The Wire. If you haven't rented Spike Lee's documentary about Hurricane Katrina, that's very well don, and has a lot of Bunk, playing himself (he's a NO native).

We didn't like Rome, too gory, ugh, and sometimes The Tudors is the same way. Forgot to mention Flight of the Concords, an outstanding and unusual program.

WRT The Wire being gritty, I guess it is, but it's *real* and the world is full of grit.

sandyponder

• jay06
    14 years ago

I think "The Middle" is really funny, and I'm usually pretty picky about sitcoms. I like the kids' characters.

• flyingflower
    14 years ago

Another fan of HOARDERS here! I'm fascinated by these people and the way they live. Two of DH's single friends are hoarders and my childhood friend's mother was a hoarder. There's even a woman on this forum that I suspect is a hoarder. Watching this show helps me to understand what makes these people tick and why it is that they cannot control their urge to aquire things even as it's leading to their ruination.

Aside from that I mainly watch silly fluff such as:
    Desperate Housewives
    Real Housewives of ...
    Little People Big World
    Cake Boss
    18 Kids and Counting (probably 20 by now)
    Design Interns
    Project Runway
    Launch My Line
    Platinum Weddings
    Rich Bride Poor Bride
    Toddlers & Tiaras and Little Miss Perfect

(dang I watch a lot of TV!)

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

Lately there is nothing worth watching (IMHO). I am waiting for Project Runway to come on. We've been watching movies on TV...lots of our old faves are on TBS. We don't get HBO or the other premium channels, and we're considering cancelling our cable and going with Netflix and Hulu on PC.

Our kids got us into Dexter, and I've been trying to catch up on Mad Men with On Demand. We did watch Rome and got into it (yes, it IS explicit), Deadwood and Big Love during the free HBO promo we had, and we're looking forward to getting them all on DVD via Netflix.

Other than that, DH is an HGTV fan...loves House Hunters so we watch that unless we've got History Channel or Nat Geo on.

• dixiedo
    14 years ago

Modern Family. Best new show EVER!

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sandyponder,

I've never watched The Corner but may have seen some promos.

Lester a junkie? Say it ain't so. :) I'll have to look it up.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Let's see:

Paranormal State
    Supernatural
    Ghost Whisperer
    Medium (are you sensing a trend yet? LOL!)
    Fringe

Bones
    ........ and Clean House .......
    Underground Cities
    ...... and the very corny "monster" movies on Sci-Fi.

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• natal
    14 years ago

FF, Hoarders is fascinating. I can't wrap my brain around how someone can live like that. Especially when it's a family with kids! Now that Men of a Certain Age is on I have to catch it online.

• flowermum
    14 years ago

Does anyone watch FlashForward? I really really liked this show. It's supposed to start again in March, I believe. It has Dominic Monaghan and Joseph Fiennes.

You can watch it on hulu also.

• natal
    14 years ago

Flowermum, I watch it. Was wondering when the new season started.

What I'm really looking forward to is Lost! Btw, all 27 episodes of season 5 are finally back online at the ABC site.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

We watched hoarders while we were on vacation. Not something I would want to watch all the time but for a few days it was fascinating. I bet most of them go right back to where they were.

• runninginplace
    14 years ago

I can't-literally-watch Hoarders. It makes me extremely uncomfortable to see those piles of debris, filth and disorder. And as someone else pointed out it seems so pointless. The solution to the problem is long and intense therapy for the hoarders, not an organization expert bringing in a dump truck and bunch of workers with gloves to shovel it out...

Let's see, shows I like and try to watch:

The Office

Colbert Report--because my daughter likes to me to watch it with her, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother

Real Estate Intervention-rubbernecking at a realty pileup, fun to see people get hit by the truth fairy. Especially a bald blunt 6+ foot truth fairy

Property Virgins - I like that Sandra Rinomato. She is always so sunny and upbeat

That's about it. I usually watch the last 2 shows on DVR, The Office and Colbert live.

• tinam61
    14 years ago

I am really feeling like the lone ranger here LOL. We watch very little tv. I am with Pesky1 that there is just not much on. I used to keep up with Grey's Anatomy and Brothers and Sisters. Now I am getting a bit disgusted with Grey's. I wish there would be a good drama series that I could get into. We need something new! hehe I do like some of the Law & Order shows and catch those occasionally.

runninginplace - I don't know that I could watch Hoarders either.

tina

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Tina - watch The Good Wife on Tuesday. As I said, that's the only show I watch now. The kids are really the only TV watchers in the house (PBS), mostly we just watch DVDs.

• deeinohio
    14 years ago

I've been meaning to catch Men of a Certain Age since I'm a huge Ray Romano fan. After the glowing reports here, I'm going to try to catch up with it on demand. As far as shows I love, I NEVER miss The Office, and watch all the reruns. It's so multi-layered, and I see or hear something new on second watchings. I'm starting to also like Parks and Recreation, since after 33 years in municipal government, the outrageous situations often ring true. I also enjoy Shark Tank. I like seeing people offered an opportunity to reach their dreams. I like comedies, not so much dramas, but am also a great Medium fan, Jan!
    Dee

• nancylee_ky
    14 years ago

I usually watch House Hunters and Property Virgins on HGTV. Also like Say Yes to the Dress. On network TV, I started watching Glee and Modern Family.

• sable_ca
    14 years ago

Another The Office fan here. We only discovered it about 5-6 months ago, so we're still enjoying re-runs and, of course, new episodes. I thought that no comedy would ever replace Seinfeld, and while that's true for us, The Office comes pretty close.

I'll watch any re-run of Law&Order:Criminal Intent, but only if it stars Vincent D'Onofrio. Have deliberately missed a few, though, as I won't watch anything about serial sex maniacs.

I don't like Property Virgins. She irks me. "Go inside and then tell me what you think it costs." I would fire a broker who said that. But I like HouseHunters and also Holmes on Homes. I enjoy seeing the construction details.

• prairiefox
    14 years ago

Modern Family has my vote.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Mystery! is my favorite, but isn't on as regularly as it used to be-alas. I also like NCIS, the original Law and Order (even with all the cast changes-really like the new Prosecutor), and Law and Order Criminal Intent. I like The Closer, but can never remember when it's on and there are a lot of 10 pm shows I would probably like, but I go to bed early (school starts early, don'tchaknow).

House Hunters and HH International are fun, too. We actually know some people who were on House Hunters. Such a disappointment-they had already bought their house and the other two houses were just filmed for the show. Not sure if they are all like that, but this one was not entirely honest. Too bad.

• polly929
    14 years ago

Wow, I can't believe none of you are watching Jersey Shore. It's quality TV at it's finest. Thinking of changing my hair to the "Snook."

• natal
    14 years ago

Polly, LOL ... had to Google that one. Yeah, just what we need ... another reality show.

• momto4boys
    14 years ago

Modern Family
    The Middle
    Three Rivers
    Trauma

But, my very fav...GLEE!!! Awesome show! I think it won a Golden Globe last night, too.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

I miss Boston Legal, what happened to that show?

Someone told me about The Tudors on showtime, don't bother it's boring.

.....Jane

• Osowso na
    5 years ago

Good to know about this. I am watching shows by Andy Yeatman now days and these shows are superb. The entertainment and literacy value is very high. I am sure kids learn good things from these shows and that’s why his shows are award winning. I must share this further with my friends and cousins.

• User
    5 years ago

This is an old thread!

I got excited for a min to see Parma again.