SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ana474

help with planning my courtyard garden

ana474
5 years ago

can anyone please make some recommendations? I have an enclosed courtyard, gated, leading to my front door. it is 17 feet long by 10 feet wide on each side of the center sidewalk, so there is 2 beds 17x10. I am planting star jasmine on the sidewalls and mexican heather closest to the sidewalk on each side. I have large concrete urns flanking the door in the bed that I got tri-colored hibiscus small trees for with flowers and vines under it. I will be putting a small (4 ft high) concrete fountain on one side centered and a concrete bench on the other side centered. I have a few foxglove to line in front of the fountain and 2 small gardenia bushes that I will plant next to each side of the bench and keep trimmed.

the problem is I need to fill in the space in front of the jasmine and behind the fountain on one side and behind the bench on the other side. I was going to do rose bushes, but was told roses don't fare well in zone 10. i need a flowering formal shrub that will stay about 3 feet with pruning. I would love love something unusual and fragrant, but maybe I am asking too much. I want to keep it formal though so no ti plants or tropical looking wild stuff. i would love to grow hydregenas, but this space gets a good amount of daytime sun. The courtyard faces west if that helps.

what can I plant here that would give a formal WOW factor? no typical home depot or Lowe's stuff please. I like a more tight kept english garden looking space.

Comments (23)