SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ned_b

Refinishing stone floors pt2: no polish in the corners and edges

A Fox
5 years ago

Some might remember my post from October when we paid a company to make a real mess of our marble and granite floors. We are on our second try and experiencing another issue. I am running this by the John Bridge Tile forum as well, but responses are sometimes slow there. Are main questions: are we expecting too much? Is this the best the floor will look? What could be done differently?

We brought in another local stone refinisher. He was knowledgeable, mirrored some of the experts from the tile forum. He thought our floors would require a decent amount of hand work, and said that he wouldn’t be able to get all the way to the wall, and for the best results that we should remove our shoe molding.

He is basically finished with the work today, and while it’s a big improvement over what is was and generally satisfactory, we are bothered by the edges. Where we might have expected that he could only get within an inch or so of the trim and door casings, with the original polished finish filling in the remainder, it seems he only got about 4” away. The final result is an inch of original polish, followed by 3” of cloudy almost honed finish and then his polished finish.

We thought he had an another day of work, so when he asked for payment to be left tomorrow, we said we would rather see the final product. I guess this is the final, and we seem to have upset him that we weren’t just excited by how much more it had improved.

The only way he thinks we could get better is by removing all of the trim and door casings and three weeks of hand work. We are wondering what handwork was indeed done since he was still primarily using the floor machine 80% through the process, and because our previous bad work similarly didn’t get very close to the wall. He had said then the issue was that they hadn’t done any hand work.

So back to my original question: are we expecting too much, or is this something that a skilled tradesman should be able to do?

Comments (5)