SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashirene1430

The most akward living room

Ashley Humphrey
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

i've had trouble placing furniture ever since we have moved in. We have an entire wall of windows, we are completely open to the kitchen and an oddly placed opening right in the middle of the wall coming in from the front office. We had a sectional and it just didnt fit in the room. So we got new furniture (what we currently have) thinking seperate pieces would be better. IT'S STILL DIFFICULT AS EVER. Between the two couches, oversized chair, coffee table and end table i can't figure it out. We have no overhead lights in our living room so are required to have lamps. So we have two tall ones and a table one. Any help on furniture placement would be so helpful! *SIDENOTE* the fireplace isn't exactly centered on the wall either so I don't have equal space on either side.

First photo is taken from the wall of windows. Second photo is taken from the "focal" point fireplace wall. Third photo is taken from the front office which is where our front door is. Last photo is taken from the kitchen.

Comments (46)

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Oversized and too much is the issue here; the clock and puffy, dark furniture, and rocker need to go. Put the TV on the clock wall above a credenza 25% wider than the TV. You can leave the beige sofa in place and put two normal size comfy TV watching armchairs at the window. Please remove the cannisters of dried shattery stuff flanking the FP. Take down all the shelves and the big box store decor, words and photos on them. This is a dated look and too "granny" for you. Start looking for art and have a family portrait done, matted and framed to hang above the fireplace.Keep it no wider than the firebox opening. New window treatments should be shades (roman, pleated or roller style.) Make a list and gather the budget for new tables and lamps.

• User
    5 years ago

Are you able to sketch a floorplan? Even with the photos, I can't get a feel for the size of the room...(just include the carpeted area)

Are you open to moving the tv or does that stay where it is?

Can you get rid of the leather sofa? It's doing you no favors in here, but you probably know that..

ETA It's NOT, by far, the most awkward living room I've seen on here :)

• Related Discussions

MOST AWKWARD shaped living/sunroom/kitchen ever!! HELP!!

Q

Comments (46)
    I’m digging the 3rd one! My style is contemporary and/modern. Do You think I need it to to be big enough for all the furniture to go on? I’d probably need a 9x12 or even 10x13 to fit it all. Or should it just be big enough for the front legs of each piece to rest on? Like an 8x10.
    ...See More

Akward Corner, need suggestions please!

Q

Comments (17)
    I caution against a sectional in a small, oddly-shaped space because they are so limiting and because the corner seat is really wasted space. I also think I would try to get that the TV out of the corner, even if I had to run a long coax cable along the baseboard to get it to the long wall. Having it on the long wall will allow you to watch from the kitchen and bar stools as well. Here are a few iterations for you. I have no idea of the dimensions of any of these pieces. I suggest you tape your favored configuration out on the floor, then measure to see what sizes of sofa and chairs you can accommodate. Swivel chairs and swivel bar stools will give you the most flexibility.
    ...See More

Furniture placement in really akward dining area

Q

Comments (12)
    Hi there may I suggest hanging small pictures on each of the walls - either try and make them the same size and hang at the same height - or make small collections together on each wall .like this (though not as many) This will give you something to focus on other than the walls, The large picture does not really work in the space. maybe try hanging pendant light above the table to make the table the focus instead of the walls. Instead of trying to fight the small space why not embrace it by using rich dark colour to make it feel elegant and/or cosy and welcoming and have something striking in the table centre like this
    ...See More

Most premium color palette for Living Room?

Q

Comments (1)
    "Modern/upscale" and "easy to resell" don't necessarily mean the same things. If you're renovating with resale in mind look at local listings and see whats popular in your area. But if you're not selling for 5-10 years don't worry about it, trends will change. I'd probably go more classic on the floors, a medium natural stain wood, as for wall color some neutral would be best.
    ...See More
  • partim
    5 years ago

Which furniture has to stay?

• jamminjm
    5 years ago

My neck would kill me trying to watch that TV. You really need to move that!

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Everything deco said. Except for the family portrait. Do real art over the fireplace. Get rid of every fake flower and plant.

• vpierce
    5 years ago

Before you move the TV to the wall that currently has the clock, be sure there won't be too much glare from the windows opposite.

• tatts
    5 years ago

I'm going schizo in that room. On the one hand, there's wall words telling me to 'Relax', and on the other there's a big-ass clock hectoring me about how much time is passing. I can't do both! Aaarrrgh!!!

Get rid of each of them, too much Home Goods/Marshalls vibe.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Hi there.... do you use the fireplace ? If you were to close it and place sofa there, would it work? I don't think the room is long enough to have 2 small accent chair flanking the fireplace ?? and work the arrangement more toward kitchen...

• Bold Ego
    5 years ago

@groveraxle... Did you create the sketch using Houzz or another design app? It turned out great!

• daneejela
    5 years ago

Here is what I think it's wrong/needs change:

- Furniture in total is too big for the space (I would get rid of either smaller sofa or armchair)

- I would change window treatments into full length drapes or roman shade

- I would remove those shelves under tv, they are too small/weird for that spot. If you want shelves I would rather do set of three floating shelves on every side of the fireplace or low bookshelves on the floor.

- I'd put piece of art or mirror above fireplace, and put tv on where the clock is now

There you can make a gallery around it (if it's too crowded to have cabinet beneath):

• Ashley Humphrey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your input. A few things...First is the fireplace is an electric one and CAN be moved (it's not attatched to the wall) We did have the TV on the wall the clock is on but moved it to the other wall because half of the living room was unusable as you couldn't place any furniture and see the tv. I'd also prefer not to have to get rid of or purchase any new furniture since we JUST got it all about a month ago. Moving the armchair to the front office is a possibility though. We do alot of entertaining so needed extra seating. Maybe i should sketch the room with measurements. We are painting the walls in the fall a very light grey and we DO have roller blinds on the windows but they're brown (looking into getting them changed out) The curtains I pinned up because I had to move one couch to the windows.
  • daneejela
    5 years ago

It would be perfect if you could do sketch, that way we could give you more useful tips about arrangement.

• Ashley Humphrey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Rough sketch of room measurements. Our linen couch is roughly 7 feet long, our leather sofa is roughly 6 feet long. We're moving the rocker back to the basement. The fireplace and TV are open to being moved as well. We do have the coffee table and end table as well. I was also contemplating whitewashing the dark tables.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

That fireplace is way too small for that wall. Move the huge chair to another room, put the fireplace where the chair is, lower the TV to seated eye level over a long media cabinet.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Blow up your very best photos and frame them or have them printed on canvas. Google tips for creating a gallery wall. You could probably even incorporate some of your current wall decor. That way it will look like a single composition rather than just so much wall clutter.

There are lots of online tips for creating gallery walls. Google them. Here is one: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/28/realestate/tips-creating-a-gallery-wall.html

• jpp221
    5 years ago
    Setting aside the finishing touches (the tv that’s mounted too high, the wall hangings too great in number but small in size, etc), the real issue is not that complicated. The sofas are simply way too bulky. The sofa facing the fireplace should be a 2-seater, and trim, and the arms on the other sofa need an acreage of their own. Once that’s trimmed down, the layout will work.
  • Ashley Humphrey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ya'll have all been very helpful! What are you all using to rearrange my living room i am LOVING it! Would it be a terrible idea to move the fireplace and tv to the smaller wall that way the larger wall can be utilized for one of the sofas? And possibly a nice mirror with some photos?
  • partim
    5 years ago

Hard to say since we do not know the wall size

• partim
    5 years ago

How about fireplace where the Relax sign is

• Sammie J
    5 years ago

Love Grover's image!!!! But, If you want to put a sofa on the wall, make an "L" with the other sofa in front on the window. Put the tv where Grover currently has the fireplace. You might have room to place the leather chair at the end of the sofa by the windows; angle it towards the tv. Try the fireplace where your "relax" sign is now.

• Ashley Humphrey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    My original plan when we purchased the fireplace was to have it in the corner of the room with the TV above. That way we weren't taking up A TON of wall space. I had my clock on the wall the TV is currently on with nothing else around it. If we could corner mount the television and have the fireplace angled out from the corner, i could photo wall (as many of you have recommended) on the remainder of the dark blue wall. I feel like I would have many more options to place furniture without having to get rid of seating.
  • tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Yes, move the fireplace. Move it out for now.

Do both sofas need to stay? which one is shorter? Are the drapes made that way or do you just have them clipped up for light?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

The fireplace has got to go! Than you can have the sofa on that wall and perhaps the other sofa opposite on the window all. But as of now, Grover is (as always), nailing it.

When your clock is bigger than your fireplace, something is off This room is actually very normal, its just been kinda mushed up.

• Ashley Humphrey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I would prefer that both sofas stay. The leather one is "supposed" to be a 3 seater but really only holds two adults comfortable. It's a little over a foot shorter than the linen one.
  • Ashley Humphrey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The curtains are also floor length and are bracketed higher than the window because they are extra long ones, i just have them pinned up because I have little ones.
  • tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Maybe the fireplace can go to the bedroom or maybe in this room instead of the small white shelf. I would put the linen sofa on the fireplace wall to open up the room. Put the dark chair to the left of the leather sofa. TV with Grover's credenza on current clock wall. Rocker out of the room.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

The fireplace and TV do not go together. A TV needs to be 1) at eye level, and 2) grounded by furniture that is much wider than the TV. If you want this room to look good, you can have the chair OR the fireplace here, but not both.

• Sammie J
    5 years ago

A definite no to the fireplace and tv in the corner.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

I do like Grover's placement since you can see the TV from the kitchen.

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    Bummer about that furniture being new; this is why I hate bulky furniture! It just takes up a lot of room (physically and visually) without really adding much benefit. I would definitely get the large chair out of there at least.
  • Ashley Humphrey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Well, you all have just inspired me to just sell the fireplace and use that to purchase a giant buffet/credenza! Maybe I can find one that has a firebox built into it?
  • tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Yes, sell it and get a credenza, long but not too wide. I delicately suggest that it not have a firebox in it.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

How exciting! Do it ! Sell the clock too!

Gover, can we put the chair on the window wall and the couch on the opposite side?

• Ashley Humphrey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Our current TV now is a temporary until we get our replacement from the one that broke in the mail. Normal television size is a 55". What is a decent size piece to have underneath?
  • Sammie J
    5 years ago

With a 55", you'll probably want a credenza at least 70". Did a google search and found this one similar to Grover's from Pier 1

• User
    5 years ago

Do what Grover described and showed. That layout is visually pleasing and functional. (Or switch window sofa over to fireplace wall and sell FP as you suggested.) The TV set at a proper viewing height, over that low and wide media console looks great.

• Ashley Humphrey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    In my defense with the TV the bracket is actually sitting at the bottom of the tv but when we put it up it sat way higher than we anticipated because the holes on the back were set high. We just havent gotten around to changing it but since we are painting now I have a reason to take all of your suggestions!
  • Ashley Humphrey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Should we maybe pull the leather sofa away some from the window, slide the linen one over a tad to the right and pull the arm chair in closer so everything isn't up against walls?
  • Yayagal
    5 years ago

Groveraxle always gets it right.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Please please please do not buy a media console with a fireplace built into it. They are an abomination. There is something just wrong about a fire inside a wooden box.

You've got a big wall and you're going to have a big TV. Get the absolute longest media cabinet you can find. Note: super long ones are hard to find unless you're willing to spend really big bucks.

• Ashley Humphrey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Grover, ACTUALLY! We have an antique store here that always has great big pieces like that for VERY reasonable prices.
  • Ashley Humphrey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Would something like this work?
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

bump.... I like the toasty tone.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

I looked at your initial photos with linen/beige items, so yes seems nice. Has this discussion covered the tv and shelves? cause seems it might look better without shelves between fp and tv... crowded?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

yes that console will work.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County