SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
violetsnapdragon

Plants That Have Thrived For You Where They Shouldn't Have

violetsnapdragon
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Recently I read a remark from a surprised gardener who heard that monarda can take some shade. This got me thinking about plants that you (or I) have grown in conditions not recommended on the tag. Here's one--I was on a garden tour in July in blazing afternoon sun when I saw the tallest, most amazing astilbes EVER. I asked the homeowner and she said, "Yeah, they do great there--as long as I water them every day--on hot days, twice." I know this sounds impractical, but still possible.

From personal experience, I have grown peonies in some relatively shady conditions. I picked their location before the trees leafed out (whoops!) and they were in dappled shade for most of the afternoon. They were not prolific bloomers, as were the ones that got all-day sun, but they got a couple of flowers and had robust foliage. Also, I once planted autumn fern in two places (once again--before the trees leafed out, this time predicting that they WOULD be shaded) and, to my surprise, the ones that got a lot of sun (NOT somewhere I would have put them on purpose) got HUGE! I mean HUGE! Three times the size of the ones in shade.

Most of these discoveries were happy accidents--I wasn't actually trying to go against common wisdom. What about you?

Comments (9)