SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lexiebmax05

Corn is tasseling - shouldn't I have ears??

lexiebmax05
13 years ago

Last year was my first year growing corn and I didn't do too well with it. I planted silverqueen but I didn't know how to fertilize it or how to plant it for good pollination. I did still get ears even though they didn't look too great. This year I planted a different variety, not sure of the name, but its a yellow sweetcorn and I've fertilized it with bloodmeal once when it was about 12" high and again not too long ago and planted them like I was supposed to. I thought I've done everything right and my plants have looked so good this year. Last week they started to tassel and I've been looking for ears but haven't seen one. I checked them over good yesterday..I guess I'm thinking last year the ears started showing around the same time as they tasseled or is that wrong?? Also I noticed yesterday the stalks look a little skinnier than the ones I planted last year...but not sure if that's because of the different variety?

***Also I'm posting a pic of a bug that is on all my corn plants..no damage and it looks like a ladybug but it's pink..and its funny I have the exact same looking bug on my squash plants next to my corn but they are yellowish green instead of pink. Should I just leave them or spray for them? Didn't know if they were just beneficial since I see no damage.

{{gwi:66996}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

{{gwi:66997}}

{{gwi:66998}}

Comments (13)