SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbclem

Corn tassel problem in S. California

jbclem
11 years ago

I have a very small fall plot of Kandy Korn, planted close together, next to a small plot of Japanese Hulless popcorn. The Kandy Korn started tasseling a few weeks ago and the tassels are all hooking over and looking very frizzy. The Japanese Hulless started tasseling a week ago and look normal so far.

The photo below shows what I mean. On the Vegetable Gardening forum someone told me this means no pollen. I've come here because I'd like to get a more specific idea about this problem, and I'm hoping to tap into a wealth of Oklahoma corn knowledge. Can someone tell me what could cause the tassels to look like this.

Until a week ago we were having a two month spell of hot weather, plenty of days at 100 degrees (up to 105 a few times). I've been giving the corn plenty of water, every other day during the 100 degree heat, but there were some times I missed a couple days and the corn was stressed, some wilting with stress crinkles you could see in the leaves. But generally it's been pretty healthy looking.

The Kandy Korn tasseled at 12-14 leaves, about 3-4ft tall. The Japanese Hulless, generally shorter, is tasseling at 10 leaves. There are still plants of both kind that haven't tasseled. This week the weather's been in the low 80's and the nights dropping to low 50's.

Any ideas about this.

John

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting