If you're choosing the restaurant, where are you going?
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (35)
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
chemocurl - if you're going...
Comments (15)You didn't get Fortissimo from me, Well what a conundrum! I know it is new as it is in a new bed made in 2008. hmmm....I wonder if Kato's is a bit sparse because he sent me too many...Maybe? I'll have to try and find my trade records in the trade pile heap...sigh. but you did get Spring Pride from me. Not funny, but I traded for that one and already had it! Now I have a nice established clump in one bed, and now the start of another 'clump; in another bed. Did I mention my daff records stink? Kathy, might you have handy the varieties we traded last year? If so, would you mind dropping me an email with what we both sent one another. As you and I have discussed, I am doing my first show tomorrow. Are you excited, scared/fearful, apprehensive, insecure? I talked to an exhibitor last Sat who said that when she initially started to show, it made her absolutely 'sick' with emotions, to the point of getting an upset stomach. Can you believe that? I also picked up some plastic flower picks from the florist which I will stick into a piece of packing styrofoam. If it works, I will send pics later today. hmmmm....well I'm wondering just what you are doing with picks and foam, and look forward to your pic. I hope I can get it all done before it starts raining! You mean you don't have your blooms picked, clocked, groomed, posed, and waiting? That should have been done at least by yesterday and then put into a cool holding place. GF, who is coaching you? Did they not tell you that? My local daff friend (grows over 1500 varieties) picked hers 3 days before the last show and then stored them in a cool place.(cool breezeway) I hope you have several daffs to enter without being overwhelmed. Bear in mind that they need not be perfect blooms to enter them. In browsing the many entries, I saw that there were numerous ones that were not totally cleaned, not clocked, cup imperfections, minor tears, mittens, etc. Good luck! I look forward to hearing how it all went. Sue...See MoreI know what you're going to say, BUT...
Comments (52)In fairness to the USDA's use of "unsafe," "untested," etc. interchangably: Given what we know about bacteria and other pathogenic organisms, I think it's reasonable to assume, by default, that it's not safe to eat wet, cut vegetables that have been left on a shelf at room temperature for months unless there's a darn good reason to believe it is. For many recipes and processes, I believe that we have that reason: someone credible (for this kind of thing, anyway) has done testing and concluded they're safe. That's good enough for me. That someone has been doing it for thirty years and isn't dead yet is not. "Crazy until proven safe" might be a good motto when it comes to canning recipes. We might consider it "proven" that a fruit or vegetable concoction with at least a certain viscosity and acidity processed for a certain amount of time is safe, which is why it's safe to improvise some with pickle recipes even if the USDA doesn't agree. But I don't think anyone has come up with one processing time that's adequate for anything you can think of to pack into a jar and yields edible results. To sumarize and reiterate Petro's response to the confusion about processing times and botulinum spores: You CANNOT kill them in a BWB. (Boiling can destroy the toxin they produce, which only does you any good after you open the jars and right before you eat the contents.) Commercial canners bring foods to 250 degrees for three minutes to kill them. And that means that the internal temperature of the food is actually at that temperature for that length of time, not that the ambient temperature was 250 degrees for three minutes. This means processing times must be based on each food's viscosity and other properties, which determine how long it takes to heat through. Foods with pH less than 4.6 need not be processed at such a high temperature because the acid inhibits botulinum growth and toxin production (it still doesn't kill it). BWB processing is still necessary to pasteurize the food, to kill molds and other bacteria and perhaps to help deactivate botulinum. So the questions we need to ask when deciding whether and how to can something at home are Is the pH low enough to inhibit botulin production? and How long does it take to heat through? Without these answers, the canning process is a crapshoot. If a recipe gives consistent results, the USDA can answer these questions for us. If not, and we want to can a recipe anyway, we must answer these questions ourselves and FOR EACH BATCH. I'm not aware of any way to determine that every point in a batch of jars reached a certain temperature for a certain length of time at home. I do believe we can reliably determine the pH of a batch: with a good pH meter, perhaps like those used by wine or vinegar makers. (For chunky foods like pickles or fruit, you can put one jar through the blender--as long as each jar has close to the same amount of solid and liquid--and measure the pH of the results.) But with thick foods like pumpkin butter, even if you confirm the pH batch by batch, I still am not sure how to know your BWB processing time is long enough for pasteurization. The argument that you or your mother or grandmother have been using a recipe for decades and no one's died yet is invalid. I bet that of all the cases of foodborne botulism reported to the CDC, not one involved someone who had--or whose mother or grandmother had--botulism before. The fact that botulism is extremely rare is a testament to the success of the USDA guidelines, certainly not a reason to start ignoring them. And keep in mind that while botulism may be pretty rare, so is home canning. Your risk is not the same as that of the general population. "In recent history (i.e., the past, say, 30 years) the average annual incidence of food-caused boutulism is amazingly low. Of those reported cases a minority are from home-canned foods (most are from restaurants and other food-service organizations). And among those that do come from home-canned foods there are mitigating factors---such as using the food in a mayonaise-based dish, which then sits out at room temperature or in the sun for several hours." Look at the CDC handbook link Petro provided. On average, there were 23 cases per year of foodborne botulism in the US from 1950 to 1996 (and the numbers are pretty consistent, so only considering more recent years doesn't paint a prettier picture). Most of those are from home-canned food: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/files/botulism.pdf. You can figure this out from that report by looking at the number of outbreaks (affecting 2 or more people) caused by home-canned food and the total number of cases (apparently including those from "outbreaks"). 289 outbreaks x 2 = 578 / 1087 = .53. So AT LEAST 53% of foodborne cases are caused by home-canned food. CDC and other sources will say that most of these were caused by "improper canning techniques," but I imagine that they are assuming that if a canning technique allowed the production of botulin, it was improper--how else would they know? Besides, these sources would classify any canning of pumpkin butter as "improper". I could not find any evidence that all or most of these cases involved "mitigating factors". Please provide your sources, gardenlad. My point is this: malonanddonna says "A recipe pressure canned for an adequate amount of time effectively destroys any spores that might be present." I totally agree with this statement. However, in the case of pumpkin butter, we have no way of knowing what amount of time is adequate....See MoreThe perils of not watching where you're going
Comments (7)Lol, that is so funny. This wasn't so much not paying attention as not understanding the law of gravity lol. My DF in his younger days was top fix-it guy around our house. My DGF decided to appoint himself as top fix-it guys helper one late fall afternoon and they were on a mission to take the swamp cooler out of the bedroom window on the second floor of our house. My DF "rigged" up a pulley system to the roof overhang above the swamp cooler to be removed and using a long rope secured the swamp cooler (otherwise known as heavy object ;0))to one end and my DGF on the ground to the other end. (You can see where this is going can't you?) My DF sat himself upon the bedroom floor, called to my DGF to be ready below and using his feet gently nudged the swamp cooler out the window. My DGF passed the swamp cooler somewhere in the middle of our two story house lol. He wasn't hurt but he did have to hang there a bit while top fix-it guy figured out how to quit laughing and get him down. Of course we kids were terribly worried about DGF after we quit rolling around on the ground and came to our senses, one or two of us still get hick-ups when we remember this event happening before our eyes ;0) lol....See MoreIf you're going to work telemarking, you should speak slowly...or
Comments (11)My hearing is bad, and I often have trouble understanding people. They may be speaking plenty loud enough, but they just don't enunciate very well, their words seem to run all together. I often have to ask that they please try to speak a little plainer and slower. I rarely answer unknown numbers on my caller ID, so it is not just telemarketers that I have this problem with. Recently I was speaking to someone in a county government office, couldn't understand a word she said. When I asked her, very politely, to please speak a little plainer, as I have a hearing problem, she responded in a very huffy tone of voice "I am talking plain!". Rusty...See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

GRAYGoing Greige: Tips for Choosing This All-Around Neutral
Here are some ways to highlight and complement your home with this elegant hybrid of gray and beige
Full Story
DOORSPocket Door Ideas You’re Going to Love
Thinking about a space-saving sliding door for your home? Take a look at these 10 efficient examples
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESWhere to Splurge and Where to Save When Decorating
Get a designer’s advice on where to invest in durable essentials and focal pieces for your home, and where to economize
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESWhere to Splurge, Where to Save in Your Remodel
Learn how to balance your budget and set priorities to get the home features you want with the least compromise
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESHow to Go Geometric Without Going Overboard
If your home decorating isn’t adding up, consider angles and shapes to help solve the equation
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDES10 Signs You’re in the Middle of a Renovation
A renovation project allows you to choose every last detail for your home, but decision making can quickly go from ‘Ooooh’ to ‘Argh!’
Full Story
TASTEMAKERSWorld of Design: Where Color Trends Begin
Colors go in and out of vogue. Here’s how they make their way into our home decor
Full Story
DINING ROOMSSmart Shopper: How to Choose a Dining Chair
Before you go for that gorgeous velvet nap or slender sculptural seat, check out our guide to successful chair buying
Full Story
MOST POPULARDecorating 101: How Much Is This Going to Cost Me?
Learn what you might spend on DIY decorating, plus where it’s good to splurge or scrimp
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROSInside Houzz: How to Contact a Home Pro and Get Your Project Going
When you're ready to begin that remodeling project or landscape design, here's how to contact a pro on Houzz and get started
Full StorySponsored
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)