Anyone watch the Grammys?

Alisande

I have a problem with flashing lights, and it seems most singers these days can't perform without them, so I didn't see much of the Grammys last night. I did see the "Havana" opening number, which I loved, and after that I was happy to see Michelle Obama's appearance and the rousing reception she got. Also delighted with Alicia Keys, whom I always like--and glad to see she's still doing little-to-no makeup.

I had to turn off JLo's Motown tribute (those lights again), but it seemed like she did a good job. I wanted to catch Lady Gaga's performance of "Shallow," and I did. I love her voice, but her over-the-top persona is not my thing. It's a great song but to me, at least, the costume, the crazy makeup, and the dizzying hair whips and other gyrations detracted from it. Badly.

If she had come out sans makeup and did the song as her character in "A Star is Born," I wonder how it would have been received. I would have loved it, but would anyone else?

SaveComment36Like
Comments (36)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

I don't have the patience to sit through shows like this. But I saw some of the highlights on the morning news shows and it looked great. Alicia Keys on the two pianos, Dolly Parton singing Jolene, the Motown tribute - I need to hunt them down on YouTube.

Save     Thanked by Alisande
rob333 (zone 7a)

You are not alone. From Cosmo today, awkward moments of the evening:

Lady Gaga's entire performance.

Let's just say people weren't loving it. Or, rather, they just didn't know how to feel about it.

No disrespect to #LadyGaga
bc I think she is a very talented artist and an amazing vocalist.
However, my neck literally hurts from watching her throw her head
back-and-forth like that. #GRAMMYs— Kristin Hurd (@kristin_hurd) February 11, 2019

Lily613

I told my daughter yesterday I would be watching Netflix because I knew none of the artists. She said that I would. I watched the opening and saw Michelle O brought the house down. I saw Lady Gaga win her first award and then switched to Grace and Frankie. I haven't seen A Star Is Born and I want to catch it soon but I DO love the way Gaga looked in the movie. So natural and pretty. I don't do glitz. She has a wonderful voice. I read Diana Ross was there at 75. I used to love her music. I'll catch it online.

Alisande

Rob, I had a slight headache last night, and watching Gaga's head throws threatened to turn it into a big headache.

Forgot to mention I saw Miley Cyrus' duet with a young man I didn't know. They were both good, but I was distracted by worries that a wardrobe malfunction (for Miley) was imminent.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

No. Current music isn't to my liking. I don't listen to it, so awards for same are not of interest for me.

4 Likes Save    
marilyn_c

Ditto, that. ^

4 Likes Save    
tackykat

I did not watch. From what I've read/seen in highlights today, there are bits and pieces (prob 15-20 minutes total) that would have interested me, so I guess I could have taped it and FFed until something looked interesting enough to stop. But I was not that interested, I guess, based on the people they were touting beforehand as the performers.

I love Gaga's voice but wish she would just sing and lose all the theatrics/costumes.

1 Like Save    
Toomuchglass

No I didn't watch. I don't know many of the singers ,and the ones I do know - I don't care about ! LOL

1 Like Save    
PRO
Lars/J. Robert Scott

I also can't think of any current music that I like, except for some European bands, and they don't seem to make it to the Grammys. We don't watch any awards shows, including the Oscars. I know people who go to the Oscars in person, and that would be interesting. I believe that Beatles never won a Grammy while they were together, and so it's hard to take them seriously. The Rolling Stones did not win a Grammy until 1986, which is rather late for them. The only hip hop group I like is Die Fantastischen Vier.

I do like Lady Gaga, however.

Save    
cherryfizz

I haven't watched any award shows for a long time but I wanted to see the Grammys last night for the Motown Tribute. I was disappointed. It seemed to be all about J-LO. The Aretha tribute was okay.

Save    
Rusty

Personally don't care for the so-called 'music' that seems to be popular now, nor do I care for any awards shows. So I didn't watch, and from comments above about who was on, I'm glad I didn't watch.

Rusty

3 Likes Save    
Michael

I didn't watch it and was shocked when I found out GVF won rock album. They've been on my playlist for a few years. Those who say they don't like today's music, listen to the boys from Frankenmuth, MI and it may remind you of your days of rock n roll. Perhaps better.

Save    
arcy_gw

I saw Dolly give Miley a dirty look when they did their Joleen duet. Miley was trying to compete and probably winning and Dolly didn't appear to appreciate it. Miley's wardrobe didn't do much for me.

Save    
tackykat

Yeah, it's in pretty bad taste to try to upstage the person being honored (as I recall it was a tribute to Dolly Parton?). But then I would not expect much in terms of manners from Miley Cyrus.

2 Likes Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Can't imagine Dolly looking at anyone harshly? She's tough as nails when it comes to her music (story about I will always love you), but seems so kind?

ETA: Evidently, Katy Perry and Dolly is another story!?

Save    
Lily613

I like Miley and Dolly who is Miley's godmother.

1 Like Save    
tackykat

That doesn't really change my opinion of Miley, but that is nice.

Save    
arcy_gw

I saw this and thought Dolly didn't look too happy. Watching the entire clip, it is less certain.

1 Like Save    
dedtired

I caught Dolly giving Miley the side eye. Miley makes too much of being Dolly’s goddaughter. However, Miley is more talented than I like to admit. I adore Dolly. No one can sing her songs like she does, except maybe Whitney Houston.

The show made me feel very old since I barely recognized any of the artists or songs. I only caught bits of the show. I was watching the PBS snow about Princess Margaret.

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

I keep wondering if maybe she has plastic surgery eye, instead of stink eye? It is hard to tell.

1 Like Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

No I didn't watch. I love the song Havana though so I probably would have enjoyed that.

Save    
amylou321

Nope. Boooooring. Same as all awards shows.

Save    
Alisande

I've enjoyed the Grammys for years. I never cared who won, especially now when most of the nominees were unfamiliar to me. But I love music, and the show has always produced performances that I found worth experiencing, including some collaborations one is unlikely to see anywhere else.

Speaking of memorable performances, I was revisiting this one the other day. It isn't from the Grammys, but it always makes me happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAhHGYrzj2M

2 Likes Save    
breenthumb

Now, that was a treat, Alisande. PBS aired a Paul Simon in Central Park concert not too long ago and I enjoyed every minute of it.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

alisande, if you like Simon's African inspired Graceland album, you may like Johnny Clegg. He's a white South African who challenged apartheid by performing (illegally) with black musicians and immersing himself in black culture. His songs are flavored with Zulu inspired language, rhythms, and the music scale, as with many Graceland songs. In looking for an appropriate clip for you, I learned he's sadly been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He's come though my area every few years and we've seen him at every opportunity. You may like his music. He is/was a wonderful performer.

Johnny Clegg - I Call Your Name

Edit - Another old link from late 80s, from Johnny Carson show. This one with dancing

Clegg on Tonight Show

2 Likes Save    
catticusmockingbird

I love Lady Gaga au naturel. Don't care for her stage persona as much. That said, she is incredibly talented!

Didn't catch the Grammy's this year. Have seen Miley covering Jolene in The Backyard Sessions.

1 Like Save    
Lily613

I have my Google "lady" play me S&G every afternoon.

Save    
artemis_ma

No interest in awards shows.

I did run into a video of Lady Gaga's performance, she does have a great voice. And at least she wasn't dressed up in various cuts of steak.

Save    
Alisande

Thanks, Elmer. I liked it a lot. Sorry to hear about his diagnosis. For someone whose DNA was labeled "100% European," I'm awfully fond of African rhythms.

Save    
Jasdip

I've always loved Miley's rendition of Jolene as in the Backyard Sessions clip. That's when I realized she could actually sing.

Award shows.....never. And if they're at all political, it's even worse.

Save    
diane_nj 6b/7a

Except for Katy Perry’s off-key wailing, the Dolly tribute was the best of the night. “After the Gold Rush” was stunningly haunting.

Save    
Alisande

Diane, you might like this too, from 20 years ago:

Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, and Linda Ronstadt "After the Gold Rush"

It's sad that Linda Ronstadt is no longer able to sing.

1 Like Save    
catticusmockingbird

Alisande, thanks for sharing. I remember that night.

1 Like Save    
diane_nj 6b/7a

I also remember that evening, thank you!

1 Like Save    
Amazing Aunt Audrey

Best part of the night, Diana Ross 75 yrs old looking and singing like a 30 yr old.

https://youtu.be/Fg9XXPUDs_o

1 Like Save    
Alisande

She looks like a Valentine! Yes, 75 is the new 30. However, in two months I turn 76, and I don't know what that is. LOL

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Tennis Anyone? Inspiration from Wimbledon
Add a Little Tennis-Ball Green and Racquets to Your Look
Full Story
Bedrooms The Cure for Houzz Envy: Master Bedroom Touches Anyone Can Do
Make your bedroom a serene dream with easy moves that won’t give your bank account nightmares
Full Story
Bedrooms The Cure for Houzz Envy: Guest Room Touches Anyone Can Do
Make overnight guests feel comfy and cozy with small, inexpensive niceties
Full Story