Cheesy Chocolate Ravioli???

chloebud

Just saw Giada De Laurentiis make this. I realize there's a lot of chocolate chatter right now due to V-Day coming up, but this is a bit over the line for me. I noticed the recipe calls for canned cherry tomatoes that were mentioned here in another thread.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/cheesy-chocolate-ravioli-5580297

SaveComment34Like
Comments (34)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Martha Scott

I'm sure you can find the canned cherry tomatoes on Amazon!

Save     Thanked by chloebud
chloebud

Martha, yes, you can find them on Amazon. Cento was one brand I saw there after reading the "How does this recipe strike you?" thread here. I just don't recall seeing them canned in the markets I frequent. That being said, I won't be making tomato sauce to put over chocolate ravioli.

Save    
gyr_falcon

The thought of cheese with chocolate does not appeal to me. At all.

1 Like Save    
chloebud

Yes, the cheese, too. Just a really odd recipe...period. :-/

Save    
plllog

I think there isn't a call for canned cherry tomatoes here since we have fresh year round. It's hard to find tomato puree in the stores here too.

I agree that hard cheeses, especially salty ones, don't sound great with chocolate.

I agree about the tomato and chocolate. It could work, I suppose, if done just right, which maybe Giada does, but why would you want to? The ingredients list sounds repulsive, and the dish doesn't look enticing either. If one were going to make "chocolate ravioli" one could make a flaky butter and cocoa pastry wrapper with a chocolate ricotta filling (and cherries or whatever if you want), and a spicy chocolate ganache. Or cream sauce. Or one could use the various fruits you'd find in a good chocolate mole, mince them, add some nuts and cocoa nibs, and glue them together with a bit of mascarpone and egg, and stuff a slightly sweetened pasta dough, with or without chocolate in it, and serve with a raspberry coulis. I like a lot of weird combos, but tomato, chocolate, cheese and pasta is easy to imagine, but sounds a lot better with one less ingredient. :)

Save     Thanked by chloebud
chloebud

"... but why would you want to?"

lol, plllog, that was pretty much my reason for posting the recipe. Would it appeal to anyone?

1 Like Save    
amylou321

Sounds like a chopped basket concoction.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by chloebud
chloebud

amylou, it sure does!

Save    
gyr_falcon

Would it appeal to anyone?

Maybe someone really wants to break up on Valentine's Day, but does not have the courage to do so. "I made us Cheesy Chocolate Ravioli, and it can be our special dinner every February 14." ought to do it. ;)

4 Likes Save     Thanked by chloebud
fawnridge (Ricky)

This is just wrong. Make the ravioli and have the chocolate for dessert.

1 Like Save     Thanked by chloebud
nancyofnc

No - this combo sounds like crap - with tomatoes? even more yuck!

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Haha - did anyone see the first and only comment so far?

2 Likes Save     Thanked by chloebud
l pinkmountain

I make home made cherry tomato sauce with my food mill. It tastes great. The recipe overall sounds good so leave out the chocolate. The amount is small anyway.

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

now, if the chocolate was paired with chili peppers, it might be good. But, chocolate, cheese and tomatoes do not sound like a gastronomic delight ... to me ...

1 Like Save    
laceyvail

I have a very easy and delicious recipe with chocolate and ricotta. But chocolate in ravioli with tomatoes? Maybe not.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Someone bothered to make the recipe (from Carol's post)? Oh my goodness.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Hmmm, sounds interesting not terrible to me. And Giada is pretty reliable IME. Not the first time chocolate has been used in a savory dish, mole of course, as mentioned, comes to mind.

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

As a self-described chocoholic, of course I had to click on this post... and I agree, chocolate in/with mole, coffee, orange, ricotta, breads... but tomatoes, mozzarella? No thank you! That just reads and looks completely unappealing. And wanton wrappers? I agree with plllog, the recipe sounds revolting, and there are so many other ways a chocolate ravioli could be good. This seems more up my alley, if I were ever to make a chocolate ravioli - although it's a dessert, not a savory meal.

2 Likes Save    
party_music50

Not only does it sound like a horrible flavor combination, the dish looks very unappealing to me in the photo provided!

2 Likes Save    
chloebud

"And Giada is pretty reliable IME."

She definitely can be, but just not with this.

I've had mole maybe 3 times in my life. Never again. Something else I can't handle is cinnamon in anything savory.

Save    
plllog

Did anyone check? Was this posted on Feb. 14 or Apr. 1?

Anyone want to make it just to report back?

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

April 1st, lol.

I can't even think of a 5yr old experimenting to come close. PB&J w/ketchup and a craft single.? Reese cup dipped in ketchup.? I'm wide open but some things don't work.

I do have instant expresso powder and chocolate options and use them in many savory dishes but that would be a back note. Not to roll a log of chevre in.

I don't think we are missing anything.

FWIW, wonton wrappers are excellent for ravioli. Makes a much thinner delicate bite almost transparent. Unlike some of the thick doughy purchased ones full of fillers. Especially an expensive ingredient like lobster or wild mushrooms. Really easy to work with. I've served them as a first course, just one big square one, if the rest of the meal is heavy rich.

Save    
l pinkmountain

It's basically standard cheese ravioli with some grated dark chocolate in the filling. I would not bother. 1.5 cups cheese to .25 cup chocolate. I really wonder how much that would add? Maybe I'll grate some Hershey's kisses atop my lunch pizza and find out!

2 Likes Save    
plllog

Chocolate goes amazingly far, especially when carried by fat. I'd think a quarter cup is plenty to chocolatify the dish.

Actually...I can imagine a peanut butter cup with ketchup with a lot more equanimity. Ketchup is sugary, and not very acidic, so fits the candy profile much better than a proper tomato sauce. I don't know about the cans, but IRL cherry tomatoes are the most acidic, even if they're sweet.

Save    
foodonastump

3 Likes Save    
Solsthumper

I've made chocolate fettuccine with a vanilla sauce. And I always put chocolate in chili.

So, it's safe to say I love chocolate. But (with all due respect to Giada), this would taste like punishment.

Sol

6 Likes Save    

I did catch a repeat of that yesterday. It was for a kids party and they all seemed to like it. That's kids for ya.

She was on this morning. A new episode obviously since the on-line recipe has only one review comment just two hours ago...lemon mozzarella grilled cheese. (!?)...I also noticed she left the seeds in the lemon. I was only half paying attention but saw the seeds. I think she buttered just the inside of the bread. I like to put a weight on mine and give it a nice toasting pressed. Fresh lemon slices. With rind and pith. ?

I will remember maybe, when making a tomato, basil, mozzarella, grilled, and give a quarter squeeze of lemon if I have it for some zip, but whole lemon slices?

I usually change the channel but was multi-tasking in the kitchen....another strange one me thinks.

1 Like Save     Thanked by chloebud
chloebud

sleevendog, this sounds like something I'd be more willing to try than the cheese/chocolate ravioli with tomato sauce. I do love lemon. That being said, I'd be more inclined to...as you said...add just a squeeze of lemon vs the pieces.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/lemon-grilled-cheese-5592273 

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Hmmm, full disclosure, so Giada fans can hate me for this : ) I’ve never been a fan of Giada’s show or the recipes. Years ago I was channel flipping and saw a show on how her shows were put together. That pretty much nailed the head on the coffin for me and I never watched again. Can’t remember the details, but if I recall correctly – and my apologies if I’m wrong, someone else tested the recipes for her, and then walked her through the ingredients and recipe before filming, and as they filmed, they did so at her pace, taking breaks as she requested. That just struck me as wrong for some odd reason – I suppose I felt she should have found and cooked her own T&T recipes and that perhaps she was treated a bit like a prima donna. I also remember an episode on some other show in which she left the seeds (of something acidic also) on dough and thought no chef/cook would do that, even in a hurry. I think the host spit the dish out, too.

I think a couple things that also kinda got to me... her looong nails (more disclosure, my nails grow too fast and I have a hard time keeping up with them). I always use a nail brush when I wash my hands... I mean, the gunk that gets under them... ew! And those huge diamonds. I always take off my huge diamonds... I mean, my plain jane jewelry... prior to cooking : ) Maybe I'm too fussy about just being sanitary while cooking?

OTOH, I agree, a squeeze of lemon (not a lemon slice) on a grilled tomato/moz (with basil, yum!) sammy would give a nice zip.

Save    

Not a fan either. I had to look at the on-line recipe to see if I missed something about the lemon. Not really the same recipe. I don't think she put parm and butter 'outside' the bread...it was inside and no parm. I don't even see lemon in this badly styled photo and much of the cheese is not melted ...

recipe,
HERE

Save    
chloebud

There's A LOT on Food Network that drives me nuts.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Taste like punishment. Ha! Good one

Save    
plllog

But....why would anyone put whole lemon slices in a sandwich? Lemon juice with cheese is lovely. Lemon zest would be fine. I could make you a delicious fresh mozz and lemon grilled cheese. But there would be no pith nor seeds. :)

Save    
Islay Corbel

I think I'm almost more appalled by reading that it was meant for children. The last thing they need is being fed ghastly food.......healthy is what they need....

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular The Real Importance of Valentine’s Day
Even small traditions celebrating love can carry through an entire life
Full Story
Kitchen Design Considering a New Kitchen Gadget? Read This First
Save money, time and space by learning to separate the helpers from the hassles
Full Story
Holidays Spend Less Without Being a Grinch: 8 Holiday Ideas
Give meaningful gifts and use nature's decor to work holiday magic without blowing your budget
Full Story
SmartRoof is dedicated to the relentless pursuit of the perfect customer experience. We help you make educated... Read More