SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maavernon

Should I use a wardrobe for my mudroom

Melissa Vernon
5 years ago

I'm hoping to redo our mudroom (entrances from garage and outside, also access to small laundry room and kitchen) which currently consists of a 60" closet with sliding doors. We also have a bench ottoman for shoes and 3 hooks on the wall above in a corner just behind the mudroom door (there really isn't the right space for the bench there, but I can slide it over when we need to open the door). I like the idea of the closet because I can shut the door to not see the clutter of lots of coats, but there is a lot of wasted space at the top of the closet. I have 2 sets of plastic drawers (6 total) under the hanging coats for winter gear, rain/snow boots and a dog drawer. I found some ideas here on Houzz as inspiration but am not looking to custom build the cabinets so I'm wondering what advice you have. I searched kitchen tall cabinets and find most of them have 4 doors. I think a wardrobe like the Ikea PAX might work for what I'm envisioning. I have 9' ceilings.

-Possibly a 30-39" wardrobe with 2 hanging rods and short cabinet above for storage.

-24-35" bench with either drawers or cubbies/baskets below for shoes.

-2 to 3 hooks above the bench and cabinets above for storage.

-Possibly build shelves into the wall studs behind the exterior door for small baskets for storage of gloves and hats.

We have 3 kids.

I'm not currently looking for advice on floor will have to see if there's $ in the budget to change it. Also not looking for comments about decluttering the doors of the photos and kid artwork, that will come down soon enough. I welcome your design suggestions and what type of wardrobe or cabinetry that can accomplish it.

The space we have now:

View from the kitchen

Panoramic view from the door/bench corner

Dimensions

Inspiration photos:

Overall inspiration photo but on a smaller scale for me (hoping we can also move our electric as they have done)

Inspiration for tall cabinet with double hanging rods

Comments (17)