SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauremkh

SMALL bathroom paint color to go with tile.

Laure Fogelman
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

OK-- Here it goes . I have lived with this bathroom long enough! I took down the paper yesterday ..

THE ROOM IS 39" by 7 feet long ........... I am thinking of painting the room in BM Rain ,BEHR Holiday Ready ,or BM Polaris Blue Paint the vanity. New Mirror, get rid of sconces ( there is an overhead fan/light. THOUGHTS? With the tile, black toilet and black sink , will it look stupid ? Not as bad as this previous owners wallpaper --RIGHT ?! You guys have been amazing helping me so far !!! Thank You . MY hubby is wishing for summer to come early, so I get out of the house and stop decorating lol

Comments (52)

• Laure Fogelman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@ jan. Hall color is off white. I just thought that blue teals would be relaxing and go with the black and white. The hallway off of the bath is off white. the eating room off the is Burgundy and white ,. Any suggestions on paint color ?

• Laure Fogelman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Cyndy No,the toilet and sink stay

• Related Discussions

Advise for my small bathroom paint color

Q

Comments (21)
    Hi I am sharing this bedroom picture from Goodgle, not mine since it is very similar to my master bedroom. My Bedding is white and we have a beige colored king size bed similar to the picture. We also have white trims around the ceiling and floor. Medium dark colored wood floor is installed. Thank you. I don't want add too much color but I can't stand this beige color here in my bathroom. I love Accessible beige in my master bathroom though. I considered off white but my husband doesn't like white color. 😕 Can you advise? Thank you.
    ...See More

Paint colour to go with these bathroom tiles?

Q

Comments (1)
    Please post a picture of your whole bathroom
    ...See More

Trouble picking paint color and vanity for very small master bathroom

Q

Comments (26)
    @Jean thank you for the info, which I appreciate. I'm in Canada and only 1 of the stores that sell them is anywhere near me, I phoned them and they only sell to stores. plus, if @Diana Bier is correct about prices, I'm looking for something more affordable, but they are definitely gorgeous! Thank you all for your input, which I appreciate very much. I ended up going for a light aqua (sherwin williams Watery at 40%). I know in the pictures it looks more blueish but it has some green in it too. I'm very happy with it (very spa vibes!) but am wondering what do for my built in niche near the toilet : 1) do I keep the inside part wood (that I would stain) or paint it white and 2) what would you do as a background : wallpaper? See pictures below please Thanks in advance :)
    ...See More

Paint color to go with pink-beige bathroom tile

Q

Comments (12)
    Tan, flat white, satin white, avoid latex, and rust oleum, chips are good peels are bad, and you can gloss or seal it all with oil based polyurethane. Theoretically you can mix any color you want yourself. Add tiny little bits at a time in a small little dish and keep track of the weights and then scale it up.
    ...See More
  • threers
    5 years ago

Stay with the black and white ...add some great artwork to the walls for personality and color.

Laure Fogelman thanked threers
  • l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

You've got black, cream color (cabinet) and white. I wouldn't add another color with paint. I'd find something in the grey, cream or white range that matched one of those elements, and then add color with art, as threers mentioned. But if it were me, I might actually see if I could find a more soothing wallpaper pattern that included the cream and other colors in the room. Something soothing with a less "in your face" dizzying pattern. But if not, I'd find a soft creamy white paint and some art I would love to look at in there.

Laure Fogelman thanked l pinkmountain
  • Sylvia Gordon
    5 years ago

I really like pennydesigns's cabbage rose wallpaper!

It softens the black and adds a lot of curves to a very angular environment.

One funny thing about small rooms, bathrooms or powder rooms, is that although it's counterintuitive to use saturated color or design in a small space, it's really very effective.

It seems to me that the more we try to simplify the small space, the more drab or bland or stark it seems.

And of course roses on black wallpaper in a bedroom or living room would be overwhelming.

Black and white is actually really flexible.

My aunt in Fort Worth had a black and white bathroom in her beautiful old 1940's house.

Over the years, her color themes were yellow, red, mint, and maybe one or two others LOL.

All she had to do was replace window treatments, rugs, shower curtains, towels, Etc.

Laure Fogelman thanked Sylvia Gordon
  • Sylvia Gordon
    5 years ago

Edit to add, I forgot the question LOL. Black and white is a very high contrast combination, so you need colors and accessories that can hold their own without battling. I think blue is too polite. Teal, with maybe some bold print shower curtains

towels, etc, aanand some brown for weight & balance, sounds good!

Laure Fogelman thanked Sylvia Gordon
  • Laure Fogelman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE ADVICE . I had actually thought of Pennys black/white floral paper as an option- but my daughter didnt like it. Maybe I need to look at it again

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Playing with some ideas. A bold wallpaper on the wall you face upon entering, then paint walls a color associated with the wallpaper then repeat some black and white and other elements. Paint lower cabinets the darker wall color selected maybe even black depending on wallpaper.
    Laure Fogelman thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Items in mock up
  • Anastasia Kravets
    5 years ago

I believe going dark on the walls is necessary here. Light colors will make the toilet and sink look too stark and out of place. These are not something you could really soften up, so why not embrace them? You mentioned that you had a burgundy dining room - maybe you could consider playing off that? Also, the black/white peony wallpaper would be wonderful here, or any other wallpaper that is primarily dark with a large scale pattern. All the luck with your renovation!)

Laure Fogelman thanked Anastasia Kravets
  • User
    5 years ago

I hope you consider the wallpaper with the large flowers. I noticed that your floor is white and your sink a cream color, so I picked a paper that has some of that cream in it...I believe it will fool the eye enough so that it won't be so noticeable.

The only thing I think you would have to do, then, is paint your mirror frame. I would do gold, definitely.

• Laure Fogelman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

penny- I was going to paint the cabinet anyway.- Something to match the paper/ walls to get rid of one color at least . New knobs, new mirror . I am pricing things out to change out the vanity to match the sink at least , which would match the toilet. I don't think I could paint over the marble top. Do you have a suggestion for a paint color for the other walls ,if I do the one long wall in the paper. Or go half way up or down with paper and paint the rest black maybe ? Paint the vanity more to match the marble top? or black ? just throwing ideas out there . I think the fam would FREAK if I did the whole room in that paper, plus a bit more than I wanted to spend for the walls.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Pick paper first. Or take a look at the wall decals. Lots of options.
  • J J
    5 years ago
    following
  • Laure Fogelman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am someone who jumps into things, then I dont like the ideas.. I think more about it and start from scratch once again. That is a downfall for me .BUT it gets me going .. I guess you would call it -false starting hahahah... I am learning so much through this site ! To think outside my box - and I am thankful for everyones input! I would never think of black w/big print paper.. BUT I find myself looking at it more ! lol.

I really like the black and floral paper Penny had mentioned above.. but the flowers sort of freak me out being so realistic ...but .. still looking with open eyes .. :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I think one with bigger flowers would be even better. How do you feel about more tropical look if the flowers don’t quite work?
  • Laure Fogelman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is the scale of ones I was sketching up

WHY not try, different things ...lol

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

In a small bathroom, scale is very important. I think you need a bigger scale so it doesn't look to "bedroomy", if you know what I mean.

• Laure Fogelman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@ Flo. No jungle print . I have to draw the line there, Flo lol

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Botanical Fleur Wall Mural · More Info

• Laure Fogelman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@. Flo. I get ya . The search is on still :). Thanks again

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

I am searching for a paper a couple used on a aging bathroom their home with mint green toilet and sink. It turned out fantastic. I was sure I saved a photo of it, but might have to search a bit more. The used a large black background wallpaper with big tropical leafs and they had redid their floor in black hexagon tiles as I recall. So your floor would work great with this concept. I will try to find it for you. bbl

• Laure Fogelman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I thought my black toilet and sink was hard lol

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Maui Black Botanical Wallpaper Bolt · More Info

It was kind of like this one but the background was decidedly black.

• Laure Fogelman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I prefer thinking I was in a flower garden, rather than in the jingle :) At this point , black and white design like buffalo plaid is becoming a thought.

Still need bigger print than the black and white?

I think these flowers are maybe to big.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/boyfriend-wont-let-me-get-rid-of-green-sink-toilet-dsvw-vd~5487829?n=114 Found it. Check out this tread and how they kept the fixtures but with the bold tropical wallpaper. Very inspirational!

• Laure Fogelman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

WOW. very inspirational . I just can't go jungle

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

That's OK, but I thought this room could be inspirational that you don't have to replace all the fixtures and still get a great look. I like the large flower look but they have to be BIG! haha!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

I would love to go all black and white! Here is one to look at that is a small bath with big wallpaper look. There are some great black and white papers just scale is very, very important.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Deny Designs Caroline Okun Majestic Crane Wallpaper, Black, 2'x10' · More Info

• Laure Fogelman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for tour searching Flo . If it was MY bathroom and not the family/guest one , I would go BOLD and out there more. I have to consider the others and come to a happy medium . The face one is "VEry cool, for MY apartment " my 24 year old said . haha

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

The guest bathroom is THE ONE to step out of the box with. Creates great conversation and the ladies will love it! But you have to be happy. Sounds like your 24 year old has great taste! lol

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Superstar Wallpaper, Black and White · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Just in case you need a birthday or gift for the 24 year old! Pricey!

• Laure Fogelman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

She is my stylish girl lol .. expensive tastes also. I am glad she isn't hooked into this acct, or she would want that ! I told her she can redo her apt anyway she wants at her dime. lol .. She lives in Austin , while I am in central NY

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

You could do black walls and hang some striking pictures on the walls in black and white for a less expensive, project. Paint the vanity glossy black.

this is wallpaper, but easily could do just black paint. then bring in a bit of color with accents.

• houssaon
    5 years ago

Love those large scale papers. Hope you find one you like.

Laure Fogelman thanked houssaon
  • enduring
    5 years ago

I think black for the cabinet and keep all the black already in there. I'd even consider a black counter. Then the other areas either white or one of those cool wall papers posted above.

Laure Fogelman thanked enduring
  • Laure Fogelman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cabinet is definatly being painted BLACK ,since I cant get him to budge for a new toilet and sink and vanity. He will be in Vegas this week, so I was hoping to get bathroom done by the time he comes home lol. SURPRISEEEEEE. lmao lol

• enduring
    5 years ago

I'd come and help if I could, LOL! this sounds like a fun project.

• User
    5 years ago

I really feel like you can't do a feature wall or a mural in a powder room. They already are so chopped up in a tiny space that murals add to the choppiness. Just my opinion and preference but I hope I explained my thoughts on it well enough?

• User
    5 years ago

How do you feel about this?

• laura_crosby11
    5 years ago
    I have been looking at this one myself!
    Dots and spots....maybe pick one or two walls
    Laure Fogelman thanked laura_crosby11
  • Laure Fogelman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OK. I had it narrowed down to two ways. ONE mural wall facing the hallway . shown below and paint the rest of the walls and vanity a gray color, OR a color to match the mural .. maybe even deep a rose colored.vanity. 3 of four walls gray ?? .

TWO --------how do you all feel if I used an Ellie Cashman floral paper BUT only 3/4 way down the walls on THREE walls . instead of fully covering all four walls ? I would do the paper From the Ceiling TO the top of vanity splash guard . Paint the rest of the wall black from the vanity down except also paint the one wall with the toilet , all black. chair rail to separate the paper and paint (?) Frame a piece of the wallpaper for above the toilet in a nice frame with a thick Matt board to give the wall something . . Paint vanity black or cream/white (?)depending on the wallpaper choice light or dark ... ... . . I can manage for three walls ( 3/4 way down the ceiling from ceiling ) but 4 walls all the way from ceiling to floor is just something I cant do at this point in my decorating spree. below are my picks.

https://www.elliecashmandesign.com/us/floral-wallpaper/summer-squal-daylight-white-wallpaper

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkkBdAaghEl/?utm_source=ig_embed

https://www.elliecashmandesign.com/floral-wallpaper/dark-floral-ii-black-desaturated-vinyl-wallcovering

https://www.elliecashmandesign.com/floral-wallpaper/dark-floral-ii-light-vinyl-wallcoveringAGAIN,

Her largest flowers are around 16" . all suggestions are welcomed. I will make my decision tomorrow:) Then you all don't have to see my posts popping up all the time :). Thanks for all the input !!!!!!!!!! xoxox

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    One wall facing hallway. That long wall. I love that big flower! Match the gray background for rest of room. Consider the ceiling too. Paint vanity in the gray but do glossy finish. Add gold hardware to go with your sconces. Beautiful!
  • Laure Fogelman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@ Flo- I thought it would be nice seeing that when we walk down the stairs. I just wasn't sure on all the colors with the floor and black sink and toilet lol ..

• ilikefriday
    5 years ago

OMG I love those flowers and Im not even a flower person. I love them against the grey background. ITA with Flko Mangan. It would look spectacular with a grey ceiling and vanity.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Lauremkh. It will look spectacular! Do ceiling gray or darker gray for more drama.
  • l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

I was thinking a grey like the background of that floral paper in a velvet finish would look great in there. I don't know what other paint companies call the paint finish but I used it from Sherwin Williams in my bedroom and love it.