SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Learned a new trick today!

Anglophilia
5 years ago

I have a lovely antique brass wine cooler that I adore. It sits on top of an antique maple corner cabinet in my library. I've had it for probably 3-4 years. For the past several months, I have noticed that it has gotten very tarnished and dull looking - not pretty at all up there. So, today was the day my yard man comes (no yard work - snow on ground and extreme cold). I decided I would have him tackle this - he polishes all my silver.

I've used Brasso before and it stinks to high heavens and is hard to get out of engraving etc. I've used Twinkle Copper and Brass polish and it makes it too bright and new - I like my copper that way, but not my antique brass.

So, I went on YouTube to see if there were other ways to polish antique brass. Oh my - there certainly were - LOTS of other ways! I decided to start with the simplest and cheapest - vinegar. Yes, plain old white vinegar. We put some in a bowl, took an old thin washcloth and dipped it in the vinegar, and he rubbed...and rubbed...and rubbed some more. Yes! Black tarnish was on the white washcloth and the brass began to shine. He did the entire thing and it looks fantastic - bright but not highly, highly polished. I was thrilled!

Then I thought about the polished brass pulls I put on my new kitchen cabinets. I was concerned that they were unlacquered - told it was a "living" finish. That's a polite way of saying that it WILL tarnish and perhaps rather quickly. My first instinct had been to just take the new pulls straight to the brass polishing shop and have them lacquered but I was afraid I wouldn't like them so I didn't. Well, it didn't take long for them to tarnish. I think it's the fumes from my ancient gas range with the 5 pilot lights. It's the pulls on the uppers that have discolored the worst.

I sent my yardman upstairs to unscrew just two pulls. We tried the vinegar and the dirty look disappeared but I like these a bit shinier. So after using the vinegar, he then took a wad of Never Dull cotton wadding, and polished a bit more. They look fantastic! We'll do just two at a time until all 34 are finished. It probably took him 20 minutes to do two of them.

I continue to be amazed at what many simple household products can do (and did do before there was such a thing as a cleaning product). Cheap, easy, quick. Works for me!

Comments (14)