SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palmettosc

New house help: bad electrical install, too many things on one breaker

David Underwood
5 years ago
Hi-

I need some advice regarding what I feel is a bad electrical install.

In our new home I noticed my office was constantly tripping the breaker with just my Dell laptop and Brother laser printer on. After brining this up with the contractor along with the incorrectly labeled and unlabeled breakers and issues with outside outlets the electrician reviewed things. They found they’d connected the following two 1 20amp GFCI breaker:
- 6 outside outlets
- 4 office outlets
- 1 overhead office light
- 3 floodlights/security lights
- 2 rear porch ceiling fans and lights

To attempt to fix the issue they told me the changed the GFCI breaker out with a regular 20amp breaker and put a GFCI outlet on the outside to cover the 6 outlets on porches and sides of the house. That was about 3 weeks ago.
Today I had exterminators out and they sprayed the house and while I was working all the power went off in my office. I checked the breaker... no issues. So I walked outside and started looking at the 6 outlets. Only 1 of the 6 was a GFCI and it was tripped. Apparently power comes from the panel to that first outlet and then daisy chains to all the stuff mentioned above, including my office outlets and lights.

This seems like a horrible way to wire it not to mention is causing me issues and seems will be overloaded and tripping a lot.

Any advice on what I can request they do to fix the issue?
Would it be worth getting another electrician out to check things?

Thanks!

Comments (17)