SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eleeny_gw

Limited electrical wiring in new house... Please help!

eleeny
16 years ago

Not knowing much about electrical wiring, I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure things out. Thank God for this forum!

We're buying a new construction house - dry walls are up and kitchen cabinets have been installed. The builder has planned $10K USD for GE Monogram built-in appliances, to include a 42" fridge, 36" electric cooktop, 30" double wall ovens, and 24" dishwasher. There's a microwave shelf, but he won't provide the unit.

One of his selling points was that I could customize the appliances and just pay for any price difference. However, with the electrical wiring he has there, it appears that the answer is "NO!" for everything that I've asked for!

I would like to have a garbage disposal under the sink (and maybe a hot-water dispenser as well, but that's less important), but there are no electrical connections under the sink.

Instead of the double wall ovens (I don't bake), I'd like to have just one single oven, and another appliance (such as a combi steam oven) in place of the 2nd oven. However, he only has ONE big electrical wire (240V) there. There is a microwave shelf with 120V wiring in the island.

When I asked about additional electrical wiring, the builder said it would cost me thousands to get another 240V into the oven cabinet area... Do you think that's reasonable, or grossly marked up? Is it's worth the money to "do it right" now, since we'll be stuck with it for years to come? What about getting a recessed outlet under the sink for the disposal and hot water dispenser - how hard and how expensive is that to do?

I know virtually nothing about electrical wiring, so please tell me if this will work - Get a combination unit with one microwave and one 30" convection oven for the space where the double ovens would have one. Do they make those with just 1 electrical connection for both appliances? Then, can I put the Gaggenau combi steam oven on the "microwave shelf" where there's only 120V wiring? If so, I'd give up the warming drawer. (I've tried to ask the builder about these issues, but he acts like I should just be happy with his original plans!)

If I will pay for the additional wiring, what is the cheapest/easiest configuration so that I can still get all the appliance I need in there? Ideally, the appliances I'd LOVE to have in the kitchen include 1 conventional oven, 1 microwave, 1 steam oven, 1 warming drawer, 1 garbage disposal, and 1 hot drinking water dispenser. (And of course a refrigerator, cooktop, and dishwasher, but those have been wired properly without any issues to discuss here.)

Well, thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (22)