SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalbestyears

Devastating News about My Theo

Bestyears
5 years ago

Some of you may remember that we rescued Theo in early September, about five months after losing my nearly eighteen-year-old kitty, Kenzie. He brought such life to our home, and truly helped me begin to get over my grief.

Unbelievable, we've now just lost Theo. I can truly only barely type those words. I had taken him for his usual walk in the park near our house, a loop of about 3 miles, which we did pretty much every morning. We were about twenty minutes into our walk, having a wonderful time. It was a clear, sunny day, about 45 degrees -just beautiful. He noticed a group of three ducks about fifteen feet off the trail and I let him lead me off the trail 3 or 4 feet to get a better look. He glimpsed back at me with such a happy smile. And then I turned him slights, said, "Okay, let's go," and he turned to step back onto the trail. Before he could get his foot on the trail, he collapsed, screaming in pain. The loudest screaming I've ever heard from a dog. It went on for a minute, and people came running to find out what was wrong. I was frantically searching him all over, trying to find out what was hurting him, but couldn't find anything. Finally, he stopped, and seemed ok. He was laying on the ground at the point with his front half kind of erect. After a few minutes, he tried to get up, and it was then that I realized his hind legs seemed completely paralyzed, just dangling uselessly under him. I immediately thought he must have injured his back (we knew he had an old injury on his lower back, which we'd treated with steroid when we first got him). I settled him, petting him and calming him, and called my husband to bring our wheelbarrow in the car so that we could rush him to the vet. About 5-7 minutes later, he attempted to rise again (because a man had stopped to offer help, and Theo is a little afraid of men), and this time he stood on his hind legs, quite normally. I was shocked, and the women helping me and I decided to try to lead him to where my husband was bringing the car. He walked, slowly, but not alarming slowly, quite normally really. Still thinking it was a back issue, this seemed in keeping, because I suffer back pain myself, and unpinching something can suddenly make you mobile. He walked roughly 500 feet, when I decided to call our oldest daughter who is a veterinarian out of state to find out if I should encourage him to walk to the car, or would it be better to lift him into the wheelbarrow. Almost immediately after I got her on the phone, he suddenly sat down and began frantically digging with his teeth and nose all over his hind end, and then within a few seconds, kind of threw his body down so he was laying prone on his left side. His two front legs suddenly shot out straight and rigid in the air. Of course, I was completely frantic at this point. I instinctively put my palm on his chest and felt his heart beat 4 or 5 times. And then it just stopped. His heart just stopped. My beloved boy, not quite two years old, died in my arms....

The vet says her best guess is that he threw a blood clot. It was probably in the groin area when he first started screaming, and then traveled, which gave him relief, until it hit his heart. If it was a blood clot, there would had to have been an underlying cause, such as an undiagnosed heart condition. I'd always been concerned about his low energy for such a young dog, and we had pursued a certain amount of testing, but nothing had ever shown up except the back issue, which we felt might explain his quiet nature.

Our boy had come so far, from a shy, fearful guy to a fun loving devoted companion. He was my shadow, never more than two feet away, and delirious to see us every morning. I don't understand why this had to happen.

Comments (83)