SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sturgeonguy

Winter devastation, or how I learned to love spider mites...

sturgeonguy
15 years ago

All the best laid plans and expert craftsmanship (by others) amounts to nothing when compared to experience...you may quote me...

So here is a tale of a single guy who fell in love with Dahlias so much that he built them a home that should've kept them alive all winter long. Even if it meant starting the tubers over, the idea was simple...start them when you pull them up, or keep them growing all winter long.

Well, I'm here to say that I personally suck at this task. I'm not saying its not possible, but my efforts so far were totally useless when confronted with that little spider mite. You know the one, it makes a very fine web over your entire plant and literally sucks it dry. The best advice I got last year about this evil devil was to cover the plant with a bag and yank it from the ground...and then throw it somewhere you didn't want plants to grow.

Well, I had my tubers going strong, as my pictures showed, until some time in December. I noticed that a single Sandia Joy, which I had brought in completely in bloom, had started to take on the pallor of a mite infested plant. Inspection proved me right. So I cut it down completely...but I didn't get rid of it, or the soil it was in.

Before I knew it all of my sprouting tubers had mite infestations.

Having tried all of the chemical suggestions at the beginning of the summer, and knowing they were futile...I got rid of every single last tuber, tray of soil, etc...

Can we have a collective huge sigh...

Funnily enough I have several Cannas which I started from fresh tubers at the same time. They are thriving, including one that was in bloom when I brought it in. So the mites didn't go to that soil or plant...there's clearly something about Dahlias they really like.

I have a pallet of bags of Miracle Grow Moisture Control soil on hand and cleaned growing trays. My order for 78 new tubers from that company that has only dahlias in their web site name is being shipped immediately. I am hoping that our other favorite, those Dahlia Wynne-ing people...haven't forgotten I wanted some of theirs too.

After the demise of my treasured winter project I decided I should find a tree and hibernate. While I didn't want to think about Dahlias at all, I was confronted daily by a 9' x 9'x wall of empty cabinets and unused lighting...so I will admit, I drank a bit more this winter than I thought I was going to.

I am, however, getting that renewed vigor with the hopes that my order for 2 tubers of each variety will yield me the 4-5 plants per variety I need in my garden plan...and, that my new lighting will actually get them to bloom in a reasonable amount of time (end of May, first week of June would be nice.)

Considering I didn't have the electricity expense all winter I was expecting, I may go to an 18 hour light bath regiment with the tubers when they arrive.

How's your wife Viking? Glad to hear you're already potted up!

Hope everyone else has had a great winter and not suffered as I have.

Cheers,

Russ

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals