SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
engrgirl

Spider mites on new plants - should I toss them?

engrgirl
8 years ago

I'm nieve and new and silly and love a good deal, so when I saw three red achillea that were on my wish list at HD today for $1.48 each, of course I had to buy them, right? BUT - i knew they looked "off" and overly dense in the foliage with dieback underneath. I quickly bought them and brought them home, and sat down tonight thinking I'd selectivlely prune away half the foliage.... But then, the horror - I see webs wrapped around a lot of the plant parts as I dig inside the foliage clump. I'm new to this, and probably should have seen this at the store and known something was wrong, I came in to the computer and did the handy GW search and learned about spider mites and the "tap over paper" test. Did it, and I'd say I passed the test with straight A's: had some tiny black dots that crawled around, and two slightly larger translucent tan dots. Google images seems to say these are spider mites.

So now the questions is what to do? Reading about treating them, and how treatment doesn't always fully solve the problem, and the risk to my other plants makes me wonder if they should instantly be tossed before any more exposure to my yard and other plants. I don't know if I should admit publicly what I just did to them, so I'll just leave it as "if" they survive my "instant panic treatment", is there any period of time later where it would be safe to plant them? Or should I just toss them?

And really, I think I learned my lesson this time- no big box stores, no buying sad or infested or diseased looking plants, no matter the price....

Comments (15)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH