SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annenap

SOS: Family room unexpectedly gutted and I don't know where to start

Anne Nap
5 years ago

We had a plumbing issue above my family room. As a result, my ceiling and floors were removed and my sofa tossed. I am now faced with rebuilding the room. Yes, insurance reimbursed us, but I still need to be frugal.

So where do I start? I am overwhelmed at the blank slate. I see lots of pretty pictures of rooms I love, but:

1) The architecture is often amazing

2) The decor can be expensive ($6,000 sofa is not going to work)

3) Sometimes they aren't practical (I love a light sofa, but have four dogs who get muddy)

I thought it would be fun to get a check and scroll endlessly through Pinterest, but instead I'm just getting depressed. Normally, my decor evolves: I paint the room, or buy a print, or find some great items at Home Goods. The pressure of having to do it all at once and get it right is giving me a bit of anxiety. I feel like I need to hire a designer (which I don't think is in the budget).

I also worry about the design getting dated quickly. Like (too) many other people, I love the current farmhouse trend. But in 5 years will it look like "Oh yeah, that's when everyone loved Fixer Upper?"

I would welcome any advice. Thanks so much!

Comments (3)