SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arkansas_girl

I used the trick about putting a sock over the shoe for icy sidewalks!

arkansas girl
5 years ago

In the thread where I asked about ice cleats to put over the shoe, someone mentioned that you can put an old large sock over your shoe and it will keep you from slipping. Sorry, I cannot remember who told me this, maybe Raven? We had very icy conditions and my back porch was all iced up and my cleats were already on my boots so I didn't feel like getting them off and then having to put them back on. So I went and got an old pair of my husband's socks that we keep around for dusting cloths after they get holes in them. put them over an old pair of mules that I keep by my back door and proceeded to walk on the ice with ZERO slippage! This trick is awesome! It's not pretty and I don't think I'd head out to the grocery store in this attire but for around the house or to take the dog on a short walk, it's a great idea! Thanks for the tip and I'm sharing this because we are going to be hit with some nasty conditions in the next few days and others may find this useful! Trying to walk on ice is one of the most dangerous situations there is when living in winter conditions!!!!! I almost broke my foot just before Christmas when we had a really icy morning and I slipped on the step!

And now that I think about it, maybe some baby socks on the dog would be useful as well because her feet were slipping!

Comments (13)