SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_533385296

Builder won’t replace faulty and wrong color brick

Baha D
5 years ago

We have been building with a reputable custom home builder in the DFW area, and everything was going great until the past 5 months. First, the builder supposedly placed the order for the brick we chose in July it 2018. After many frustrating phone calls, emails and inquiries about where the brick is, and why it’s not here, it finally arrived on Dec 4th of 2018. We were finally excited that we have brick and couldn’t wait to have it installed. But to our displeasure we noticed once the brick was placed up to 4 feet on one of the walls, it wasn’t the brick we ordered. We had a discussion with the building supervisor and they agreed to give the upgrade fee for the brick back in closing money. We agreed to take it and settled on brick that’s not what we wanted. thats not the problem, the issue that 3 days ago we went to look at the house, and we noticed the color is getting more pink, instead of white (as we originally wanted). My wife and i noticed some cracks in the outside brick, so we touched it with our finger and the white part of the brick just started peeling and the pick/brown brick color was showing. Needless to say we were pissed. If by light finger touch the color is peeling, what would the house look like in one year of rain, wind, cold and heat?

So we took pictures and videos and sent them to the project manager, but no one replied back. So I attempted to call, and no answer. Surpise surprise. I texted a couple of more times, and eventually got a text back stating ”we’re aware of the situation, and the construction manager is calling ACME, and we will officially get back to you tomorrow” no more communication since then. Eventually they called me back 2 days later saying ACME came to the site and said ACME will “fire stain” or “permeat Stain“ the brick and that will have the same 100 year warranty ACME has on their brick. They didn’t give me much of a chance to express my concerns or agreement or disagreement. The other issue is there are many fractures in the bricks, and they seem concerning to me, and I’m no professional, but to us this looks concerning.

We sent them an email yesterday explaining our frustration and that we won’t accept the staining, and we would like them to replace this unwanted bad brick with the brick we chose from the beginning.

we don’t think this is unreasonable and we expect them to honor that, but we haven’t heard back from anyone as of yet. Does anyone here has any advice of what to do or expect? Our lawyer is ready to get involved, but we’re giving our builder time to make good on their end before we have to involve lawyers. Thank you all for reading thru this. I will attempt to load the video and pictures

Comments (21)