SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolet_gw

Nikko won't stay up!

carolet
17 years ago

Hello friends:

About six years ago we had our home builder plant a Nikko Blue in our East north east facing front yard. The blooms have turned a whitish pink since the first blue year. There are no shade anythings around it so it gets full sun till about one in the afternoon. I water it everyday at about 6:30 am. Two hours later it is wilted. I water it again. A short time later it stands up. At noon, however it is wilted; but I just wait till the sun is out of sight then I water it again. It stands up for the rest of the day. It is planted in clay (slightly amended - not well).

I purchased an ES to replace Nikko because I've just had it trying to make this baby survive. There is no other 'shady' spot around our house. Every side (because of it's angle and lack of substantial tree shade) is sunny for a big part of the day.

I put the ES next to my nikko and they look identical (No flowers on either right now). Leaf shape, color, everything. they look like the same plant. OH BOY. I was going to put peat in the ground and nice topsoil and Aluminum sulfate and make a really beautiful home for it.

Now I'm thinking I should just take the ES back and do the ammending for my Nikko since I believe one of these plants must have been mislabed or something.

My question is will it make a difference in the Nikko's performance if I fix the soil? I moved him last year and he didn't bloom (probably because I disturbed him). I'm willing to take another year of no mopheads if it will eventually give me a show stopper blue entrance plant. Am I wasting my time with macrophyllas in this particular spot? I'm looking for a summer show about 5 feet high. I want him, but does he want me? Carolet

Comments (6)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES