SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tdy25

Living Room Decorating Advice (seating and rug help).

Todd
5 years ago

We just moved to a new house and are looking to add some new pieces to our now larger living room.

We have custom sectional and leather club chair we'd like to work around but not sure what can go with them.

We are considering moving the chair next to the couch (left of TV and facing back toward where it currently sits) and want to place either a couch or two fabric chairs on the wall where the chair currently sits (15 ft so plenty of room) .

What's constraints should we think about? Do we just get a matching sofa (assuming material is still available) or get same sofa with different color...or do we do something completely different? If different what style and color of chairs and sofa should we consider/rule out (has to be rolled arm/can't be rolled arm ect)?

Lastly, we aren't digging the rug. Any suggestions there is helpful.

Walls are agreeable gray and floor is Jacobean.

Comments (40)

• jck910
    5 years ago

Do you feel comfortable watching the TV, it looks high? What size is that rug? I would try the sectional with the longer side facing the FP and a chair on each side of the FP

Todd thanked jck910
  • Todd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The TV height it just fine. I was concerned at first but its no issue at all.

Rug is 9x12 but clearly could go up a size.

Ideally I would agree with you, that having the longer side face the TV would be best. But we tried that when we moved in and it closed off the room really bad. The entrance from the foyer is the opening behind the right of the chair (facing the chairs) in the bottom pick. It wouldn't be as bad if it was a chaise instead of a full-backed/armed sectional.

In an ideal world we'd have the short side of the L on the left not the right of the sectional, but unless we were to get a new one, we are stuck.

Thanks for the advice though. A designer at one of the stores suggested that as well, which is why we tried it earlier, but it just didn't feel right in the space.

• Related Discussions

Living Room Decorating Help, Sofa / Sectional advice needed! Pic

Q

Comments (22)
    I am more than happy to share where this stuff came from and am extremely flattered. The rug is the "Brice" rug from Pottery Barn, 9 X 12. The sectional is made by Jonathan Louis. It is called "Knobhill" and the fabric is called Basil Flannel. I got it at a local furniture store but I saw somewhere that Jonathan Louis furniture might be available at Macy's. The website has a dealer locator: http://jonathanlouis.net/. One armchair is coming this evening. I am going to arrange it all again and post another photo. This is immensely helpful and I am just sorry that I can't try every suggestion! Have a spare small desk in the garage, and will try whatever else I can get my patient DH to do. To make things more complicated, I found out that I can order another piece for the sectional. Since I bought the floor model I didn't think of it before. It will seamlessly extend the longer side another 28". That side will def. have to go against the wall (as in the first photos), but the room will be filled out a little more. Yet another option! I think I have decided against exchanging for a sofa/loveseat. One more question: when moving the sofa away from the wall, how far should it be? Just enough to balance things, or enough for an acutal person to pass through?
    ...See More

Rug and Decorator help for Industrial/farmhouse living room

Q

Comments (13)
    I have a pretty good imagination but industrial/farmhouse I cannot conceive of. Which of the two does "Pharmacie" represent or the giant D teetering on the edge of the mantel? I don't mean to be offensive, but the letter and word trend is one I never understood. A beautiful painting in one of many styles (and hung lower) would satisfy the eye more, methinks. I gather we're not allowed to suggest colors for pillows or rugs, or curtain panels, so I'm pretty much out of my element. I can envision the first and third rug there to help with all the dark colors, though. I'm curious how one cleans the one with the leather strips. I can imagine many cats being in seventh heaven with that one, though, or teething puppies.
    ...See More

Need help with living room rug and decor!

Q

Comments (19)
    Your fireplace is lovely. I am not sure how painting it gray will make anything " pop". To my eye it looks like a mistake. Add " pops" in other ways but do not mess with a beautiful permanent feature.
    ...See More

Advice on re-decorating living room

Q

Comments (2)
    Here is the room as it is now:
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Todd, you just need a few tweaks. Do you have any large artwork to go on that large wall? it's so bare.

what does it look like if you flip the sofa and put it up against that wall?

Like this layout?

I like the blues. you could do your cabinets like this to give some color

I'd also paint the inside of your coffered ceilings. doing them all white like you have it is a waste of opportunity!

another layout

I like the sofa and two chairs like this

some simple window treatments would also be a nice addition. you could do inset woven woods, or a Silhouette type of shade, or

Todd thanked Beth H. :
  • Todd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Beth. We definitely need some art but were waiting on the furniture layout as chairs vs. couch could change what fits there.

We do plan to add some drapes on the windows as well. Finding something 215 inches long was tough but we founds something. I hope it works.

I love the idea of painting the ceiling inserts. And I bet my wife would love the painted blue cabinets.

If we were starting from scratch we'd just do something like this. It's a similar room layout to ours with the windows and fireplace. It even has the big back entryway in from the kitchen.

But we wanted to try and keep the sectional as opposed to doing two new couches like they have in the pic.

Would a couch like one of these up against the wall on the right go with our sectional where it is? Or are the styles too different?

What did you mean by: " what does it look like if you flip the sofa and put it up against that wall?"

Do you mean so that the right side of the L comes out in front of the right cabinets?

Thanks again.

2017 ARDA - Custom Homes - Royal Oaks Design · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

I love that pic you posted. I think mixing a sofa w/your sectional would be tough. All you have to do is look at all the pictures you like and do what they've done.

look at this coffered ceiling again. beautiful w/the darker color.

Notice the art on the wall w/the two arm chairs. notice all the great lighting.

Would this seating arrangement be enough for you?

When I said flip it, basically do a backwards L w/your sectional against the right wall. then do two chairs against your windows. how would that look?

kind of like this layout

if you like the blue, then get a couple of chairs in this color.

This is a great layout for your room. want recliners? look at ZGallerie. I just got this velvet recliner in Charcoal for my room, but this navy is gorge

Todd thanked Beth H. :
  • b651
    5 years ago

I agree with Beth, adding another armchair would be a good idea. Can you pull the sectional away from the windows some? I feel like the 9x12 rug size would work with everything more centered.

Todd thanked b651
  • Todd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The sectional is pulled out some. 2-3 feet or so. We can definitely walk behind it.

Our initial thought was 2 fabric chairs like the first pic in Beth's second post with a table in the middle. We even have room to move the club chair to the corner by the window to the left. My only hope with the sofa was to have a second place to lay down. The way the sectional is, we kind of gave up 2 good laying down spaces (head in the corner now means someone's feet are in your face if they lay the other way). Maybe we just bite bullet and start from sctach, but its a nice sectional and cost a good penny...so maybe 2 chairs is they way to go.

Any thoughts on a rug color? Not sure the current one is working out with the sectional color.

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

I agree with Beth to put the sectional against the wall with art above. one side of the "L" against the wall facing the windows, the other facing the fireplace/tv. Better to have a view outside than your back to it facing a blank wall. Then put 2 chairs in front of the windows. it will feel more open than a full length of sectional.

Transitional Living Room · More Info

Todd thanked Cheryl Smith
  • Todd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

the only issue with Cherly's placement idea is that you lose 25%of the room. or about a window and a half.

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

I see what you mean but if you add a sofa table behind that leg of the sectional you take up some of that space with a usable surface for lamps etc. it may be too much open area between the different areas of the room. Sectionals do limit placement options. The way it is placed now you "lose" the 3' walkway behind the sectional at the window that is also wasted space. So what is worse losing length or width? whatever works for you.... works.

• Todd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Its worth a try Cheryl.

With the long side facing TV and short side facing windows, I think it will close it all off. We tried that but with the sofa centered and it just closed off the entry. I can try flush against the walland closer to the fireplace so its not blocking the entry. We will still need to only enter from the window side of the room though which is what I think made it feel closed. Worth a try. All ideas welcome.

Here is an aerial pic.

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

Beautiful house

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I would get another chair exactly like your current one (if you can) and put both chairs facing the windows. I think trying to put that chair to the left of the fireplace will look cramped and a second sofa will make the room seem too full of furniture.

This is a totally awesome room and if you don't need curtains for privacy, I'd leave those beautiful windows naked.

Todd thanked groveraxle
  • Todd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We can definitely get the same chair (they still make it), but not the leather as it is probably 10 years old at this point.

Does that rule out that option or can we get something close or try something complimentary (lighter/darker?)

https://www.clubfurniture.com/products/sebastian-traditional-leather-reclining-club-chair

• b651
    5 years ago

Personally, I like mixing chairs to add variance in the room. As long as they compliment each other it can look really nice.

Yaupon Valley Remodel · More Info

Georgian Stone Estate · More Info

Todd thanked b651
  • my_four_sons
    5 years ago

I wouldn’t try and match the chair. You have an opportunity to add some different color/texture. Something like this would be nice:Article blue club chair

Todd thanked my_four_sons
  • Ellen Tracy
    5 years ago
    Like you I’m not digging the rug either. Try removing it and everything will look better and you can clear the slate so to speak. Remove the excess sofa pillows also.
    Todd thanked Ellen Tracy
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

A 3-seat sofa and two chairs are always a good bet and are very flexible for arranging. Can you get a chair to match the one you already have?

Todd thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Brooke Strong
    5 years ago
    IMHO you need to first decide on style and color scheme that you love. Then I think you need:
    A sofa table behind the short side of the sofa or maybe a bookshelf style behind them so you aren’t just staring at the back of a sofa. Then you need two chairs instead of one for the right side of the room and a buffet or some sort of cupboard piece with a lamp on each end and a piece of art in the middle.
    That will give it all more balance and a more finished look plus another source of light away from the windows. Then you could paint the ceiling squares as suggested (would be pretty cool) and either choose a color from the art you love to pull into the rug or vice versa.
    Does that make sense?
    Todd thanked Brooke Strong
  • Ellen Tracy
    5 years ago

Would love to see that sofa flipped around like suggested. . .don’t leave us hanging!

• Todd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So here it is moved. Please forgive the mess of kids toys and the lighting. This was done hastily and we did not move the rug as we'd need a few more hands plus it may not stay this way.

We will sit on it a few days and see how it feels. thanks Beth and Cheryl for the suggestion.

it may have moved the couch too close to the elevated TV. But again well give it a day or so.

It is nice to have the long end of the couch facing the center though.

• Todd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

3 more angles.

if I have time I'll try to grab some daylight shots later this week.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I don't like the couch against the wall. I would center it in the room.

Todd thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

If you want to stick w/blue green accents, I'd paint the inside of your coffered ceilings in these shades

rug selections that work w/sofa, ceiling accent, and flooring

look at how they did the art and the rug

two of these recliners would lend some color. or do them in the charcoal color

Todd thanked Beth H. :
  • Todd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

More centered.

Wife does not like how it blocks the entry way.

Sitting in it is more ideal than the other two options. Good distance from TV and centered.

Maybe we just need two brand new sofas or an sectional with the short side on opposite end. :(

• b651
    5 years ago

I really like the way it looks now compared to the others. When you say "block the entryway" do you mean the foyer or how you actually get to the seating? If you mean the foyer, do you have enough space to slide the sectional up just a few feet so it isn't in the doorway? With the addition of a sofa table behind I think it will look nice

Todd thanked b651
  • Todd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes blocking the foyer (first pick in the above post). There is room to move it up. we will try that next, though this distance is great for space and distance to T.V. (don't have to look up).

But a 12-18 inches may not be bad either.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

If you find the sectional doesn't work for you, can you try the two halves as one-armed sofas to figure out alternatives layouts? (Apologies if this is beyond obvious. Never had a sectional.)

Todd thanked tartanmeup
  • Todd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Agree tartanmeup. That's what had me rethinking everything. When they were seperated the distance was what I liked and the entry way wasn't block. Moving the sofa up 12 inches seems to be a decent compromise for now, b651. We'll sit on it and look at it in the light and see how we feel.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Your sectional and rug are fine but then the effect is ruined by the two dark pieces that don't "belong". Could you possibly change the coffee table for one that is glass and metal? It would really open up your room and give a lighter, friendlier ambiance. Try and get one with two levels so the bottom can be used for storing books, which always give more personality to a room. I would put a light blue and beige pillow on your dark chair to give it some relation to the rug and sofa. The wall behind the chair could be used as a gallery wall or try several fairly large and colorful paintings there. Try a large plant or two against that wall also in some beautiful and interesting pots. Instead of the harsh ceiling light have a table lamp and a table with a lamp on it, one by the chair and one by the sectional. Your room will look so much warmer and user friendly.

Todd thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Todd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Decided we are going to get new sofas. Feel free to vote on the colors.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/sofa-color-help-pebble-or-ash-dsvw-vd~5632189?n=5

• Todd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Figured out the color just trying to finalize the sofa/chaise selection.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/poll-living-room-layout-help-dsvw-vd~5635939?n=5

• Todd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We still need to finish off with pillows, end tables, maybe different rug, wall art ect. but thought I'd share how it looks with the Pottery Barn Townsend sofas in Sunbrella Slub Tweed Ash. Very comfortable and deep sofas. Glad we went with the reversable chaise option fits well and super fuctional for us. Fabric is not as soft as the non-sunbellas in the store, but knew that and its still nice and should be more durable with kids (it's washable).

• salonva
    5 years ago

Nice update. Very inviting. And for what it's worth, I think the rug works nicely.

Todd thanked salonva
  • Todd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks salonva. Appreciate the rug thoughts as well.

I think once we balance the room out with some warmer tones on the wall, side table ect., we will probably be fine with it. It just feels a touch too cool right now.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I think you need a bigger rug and taller lamps and to simplify the decor on the built ins.

• Todd
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    what app are you using to add/subtract those items?
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

@Todd, Photoshop.

Todd thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Maybe you'd like to spice it up with a bit of color? All of these mud cloth pillows are from StitchedbyGraceNY.

Inspired decor. Sourced and Stitched with you by StitchedByGraceNY · More Info