SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enid_nieuwoudt

Advice on re-decorating living room

enidnouveau
4 years ago

Hi everyone! I've been a lurker here on Houzz for a while, and this is my first post. I would like to give our living room a makeover. I'm from Cape Town, so I can't buy from all of the normal shopping sites that is listed on here. I will post photos of the room as it is now, and also concept photos of what I would like to do.

What should stay:

Paint, existing furniture, tiles and general layout. I like the neutral colours and furniture, walls and floor that I have currently, and would like to work with that. I am going to re-cover the bucket chairs in a brownish-charcoal, but would be open to other fabric suggestions. I like the current furniture layout; it might seem a bit crowded to other people but I am able to live with it. Seating is of high priority, since we have family gatherings often.

What can change:

Rug, scatter cushions, curtains and curtain railing. I would like to get a natural fibre rug (e.g. jute or sisal). If need be, the curtains and railing can also be changed.

What to add:

Artwork, side tables, task lighting, plants. I would like to frame some of our vacation photos in a black frame with white matting. I would like to create some art pieces similar to what is shown in the concept pictures, also black frame and white matting. I would like to pull the bright green and dark turquoise colours from the ethnic bowl on the coffee table and from the art and get scatter cushions in those colours.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Am I on the right track? What would you change from the concept? My style is difficult to describe, I like a bit of everything. I don't want anything too on-the-nose ("theme-y") in styles of MCM, scandi, or modern boho, but mainly contemporary with some hints of one or more of the other styles.

Comments (2)