Got the week off. Whatever shall I do?
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (11)
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
When shall i pinch off tomato flowers to stop growing
Comments (3)According to a "tomato timeline" posted here before and linked many times, It take about 52 days from the bud to the ripe fruit. This is for large fruits in the middle of growing season. But it can take shorter/less time for cherry types/sizes and smaller tomatoes. But I think later in the season and in cooler climates it can even take longer. So then you have to factor in the effect of late season cool weather that will slow down the growth and ripening of fruits significantly. For example my FFD is around mid November but our October weather will be too cold (and rainy/cloudy). So I would count backward 50 days from my average frost date ( say Nov. 10 -20th ) and start my pinch off schedule ( Sep 20 to 30th). And that is an optimistic outlook here. Even then probably I will end up with plenty of green tomatoes to pickle. So you have to decide what is best for you....See MoreSo, I got canned this week
Comments (46)A few years ago, there were some reporters in this county that would come into my office and I'd give them a press release or make a statement. A couple of them I could even give pieces of information and ask that they not be released for a period of time. I trusted them and they did not betray that trust. They are all gone, either fired or retired or moved. Now I have to watch the news to find out what I said, we've stopped talking to television stations and reporters entirely, we'll prepare a press release on paper and fax it, but make no other statements. Too many times I've seen myself "quoted" as making a statement that I never made, and even with the press release in writing the Grand Rapids television station will broadcast things that aren't true and aren't included in the release. I guess they just make things up because it makes a better story but they are not accurate, they are not reliable and they are not truthful. I'd as soon read the National Enquirer as watch the news on WZZM in Grand Rapids, and other surrounding media outlets are not much better. Part of my job here is to deal with the media on high profile cases and I've taken to saying that this office has no comment. Ever. They can check the court records if they want the facts but they seldom do, they just want to print a good story. I don't trust them, and for very good reason. And don't get me started on the weather reports that categorize 3 inches of snow in Michigan as an "emergency" and worthy of "weather advisories". And so, as evidenced by this entire thread, I think good, honest and reliable reporters are leaving the business for whatever reason and the news is being replaced by drama and conjecture in many cases. I've formed this opinion by 30+ years of personal contact with local news media, and not just the print types. The news is not what it was even 10 years ago. I am truly sorry the OP lost her job because it appears to me that the news industry in general needs more of her type of reporting and far less of the type of reporting we are currently getting. Annie...See MoreI got to test drive a BlueStar 48" Platinum range this week
Comments (30)I am so glad that you piped up about your Frigidaire issue, Practigal. Thank you. I don't think it was a coincidence that you were participating in this thread. So..is it crumbs of rust dropping down from the burner...or, is it rust coming up through the paint...or is it oxidation of the gas itself, that maybe it is burning "dirty"? Good ideas, Mrsnyefnyef. I have an update, but I'll share it at the end of my post. ; ) I agree, Eurekachef. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the BS rangetop after test driving it (unless you don't like standing over a high heat cooker.) "my regrets comments was that I just didn't want you to finish your project and then turn back and say, well I should have..." Ah, I understood what you were getting at much better that time, Gooster. That makes a lot of sense. Here is the update: I found 2 incredibly good deals at Goedekers website this weekend for scratch and dent Miele's. The cooktop (yes, a cooktop, not a rangetop) is 42" wide and has 6 burners. They looked like they are configured *perfectly* for the way we cook. Originally I was looking for all the same BtU's on the burners, but these should work fine because of the configuration. Originally I was looking for sealed burners, which this has. The knobs are off to the side rather than on the front. I find this to be a nice feature since I tend to lean into whatever I'm cooking. This way I won't be lighting the stove with my belly! Also, little ones will have a harder time reaching the knobs. Finally, at about $1200 less than full price, it was too good a deal to pass up. They also had a set of 30" Miele Master Chef double ovens for almost half price (open box). I hemmed and hawed for a while on this one. It's definitely more high-tech than what I was originally looking for. In order to do the cooktop, we'd have to head into wall oven land. Wall oven land was full of techy gizmos. Given that, I might as well try one that is highly regarded by bakers and has the lowest repair rate in the industry (according to Yale Appliance's website, anyway.) Thank you all for helping me process this big decision! I really appreciate the input each of you gave me....See MoreFinally got 1 seed to germinate. 2 weeks old. Now what to do?
Comments (9)Hi Maria! I am not sure which seedling it is. It was from ebay as mixed seeds so I'm not sure what they are. I got it after I killed all the one a member on here gave me. It was my first time germinating anything and I killed it by either over watering or under watering them. Even the ones I got from ebay they all died except for 1 so hopefully I don't kill it too. Adenium seeds - I got from the same person on ebay as mixed seeds too. I figure why not experiment and try to grow them. So far the adenium loves me they are growing except for a few that will eventually die. Thank you so much for offering me some seeds. I will PM you. Thank you, Ann...See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDES12 Design Tips From This Week That You’ve Got to Try
We look back at our latest stories to help you look ahead to your next design project
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGENew This Week: 3 Kitchens That Pull Off Neat Storage Tricks
These spaces feature components that conceal, hide and tuck away to save space and reduce visual clutter
Full Story
BEDROOMSNew This Week: 3 Bed, Nightstand and Wall Combos You’ve Got to Try
Whether you prefer moody, minimalist or sunny, these 3 bedrooms uploaded to Houzz recently are exercises in stylish harmony
Full Story
FUN HOUZZEverything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES21 Top Design Ideas From This Week’s Stories
We scoured through our articles from the past week to bring you some of the best tips and tricks for your next project
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN10 Terrific Kitchen Design Tips From This Week’s Stories
Find out how to hide a drying rack, choose tile finishes and more
Full Story
EVENTS5 Big Trends From This Week’s High Point Market
Learn the colors, textures and shapes that are creating a buzz in interior design at the market right now
Full Story
DREAM SPACES20 Dream Home Ideas From This Week’s Stories
Let’s play a little make-believe and imagine a home in which the sky’s the limit
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGN5 Bathroom Design Tips From This Week’s Stories
These ideas can make a difference in how your bathroom looks and feels
Full Story
EXTERIOR COLORExterior Color of the Week: Bewitching Black
Think you’ve got what it takes to pull off this bold, trendy color choice for exteriors?
Full StorySponsored
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH
bpath