SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19039753

Town Grocery Store Closes

User
5 years ago

Three years ago our biggest stand alone grocery store closed. Two years later after a huge remodel, a "big city" grocery store opened in that space! I was ecstatic.

A year later -- 13 months after it opened, it, too, is closing.

Reason: Not enough sales

Why not enough sales -- not Amazon as much as people shop out of town -- they drive an hour north or south to go to "big city" stores and Sam's and Costco or they go 30 miles south for another big city store or Aldi's.

Now we're back to having Wal Mart or our little "dirty" grocery store to shop in.

They are having their liquidation sale with 33% off EVERYTHING and there are lines everywhere! I was there at about 1 this afternoon and the meat left was ham, turkey, goose, pig feet and turkey necks. The shelves of pop are almost bare.

But in looking at the refrigerated case, etc., it would appear that they probably haven't had a delivery for at least a week (very little milk, cottage cheese, etc.)

I am sad and hope our city fathers find some store to go into that space.

So some of you who NEVER shop at Wal Mart remember that some of us don't have choices. Sure, I COULD spend half a day and drive 200 miles to shop somewhere else but my time is valuable and I could spend that gas money on groceries. So shop Wal Mart it is!

Comments (117)