Garden kneelers project

Lucille

When I was young I could get up off the floor without using my hands at all.

I have reached a point where it is difficult to get back to a standing position from sitting on the floor. I have to push up on a support. And between cleaning and various projects there is no way to avoid being on the floor sometimes.

So I bought two cheap green metal garden kneelers available everywhere on Ebay. (Some even come with a bonus fitted plastic storage pouch that hangs on the side). I also ordered one piece of foam pipe wrap (the kind that is in a 6 foot piece and slit on one side to place around the pipe) and cut it into pieces, wrapped the metal part of the kneeler that goes on the floor to protect from scratches, and wrapped the hand area for comfort. (one piece of foam wrap is enough for two kneelers). I also (since the foam kneeling piece is cheap and thin) used ratchet straps to put a pillow on top of the kneeling area.

I bought two, one for the kitchen and the other for everywhere else, it defeats the purpose if it is up on a closet shelf and not handy where I would actually use it. Now when I start a floor cleaning project or something similar I have a cushy kneeler for when I'm on the floor and a comfortable way to push myself back up into a standing position.

SaveComment18Like10
Comments (18)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colleenoz

What a good idea!

Save     Thanked by Lucille
schoolhouse_gw

My friend and I were just talking about this at lunch Wednesday - we both are in the same boat as you, I suggested we get those garden kneelers! Great minds think alike. :)

ladypat1

I work a lot outside and use one. I like the extras you made for yours. I always joke that without my kneeler the neighbors would call 911 if they saw me trying to get up off the ground without it.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Lucille
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Pictures of your project! Show us your work! Great idea. If I am on the floor I have to make my way to a sturdy piece of furniture to pull myself up on. I try to never get down there. I sure miss my beautiful new kitchen at the old house with the big drawers instead of cabinets!

murraysmom Zone 6a OH

That is a great idea! I have one for outside and did use it once in the bathroom to get down to scrub the tub. I love your idea of putting the foam wrap on it. And making the kneeler a bit more comfortable too. Love it!

OutsidePlaying

Sounds like a great idea. I don’t need one as elaborate yet but I do use a foam kneeling pad on occasion. Plus I bought some cheap knee pads at Harbor Freight when I had ACL surgery a few years back. They go on easily and add some cushion to my creaky knees when I’m going to be kneeling for a while doing weeding or planting chores.

skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

Genius! Let's see it!

Toomuchglass

I love my garden kneeler ! Mine flips upside down ,so it becomes a seat . I bought it from some mail order catalog and it's lasted for years.

bpath Oh Sophie

That is the most stellar idea! Do please share a picture. I'm definitely at the stage of "how badly do I need that big pot at the back of the bottom cabinet, can I use two saucepans instead?"

1 Like Save     Thanked by Lucille
Lucille

I removed the ratchet ties because the waterproof pillow covers are being delivered today. But you can see the foam wrap on the upper right handle, and there are identical wraps under neath to protect my flooring and one under the plastic holder on the upper left. It is very simple but when I tried it this morning it worked well and the pillow is very cushy for my knees.

Total price for 2 with the kneelers, pillows, pillow covers, wrap and ratchet ties about $70. There are a lot of vendors for the kneelers on Ebay and they are currently having a price war so you can get them quite cheap.

6 Likes Save    
DawnInCal

That's a great solution for anyone who has trouble getting up from a kneeling position.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Thumbs up!

kathyg_in_mi

I have one of those kneeler. Love the idea with the pool noodles! Will have to remember this one.

matthias_lang

Hey thrift store shoppers, this is one of those items that turns up once in a while!

Having carefully shopped for one and bought one retail about two years ago, I can tell you that the older ones I'm seeing in thrift stores are a lot better made than the newer ones. If you are heavy or really have to brace yourself a lot on the frames, an old one might work better for you, as it does for me. Even the foam padding is better on the older ones I come across.

arcy_gw

Step two has one all plastic works great. Google it, hit images. Inside and out works great and no metal. We gave it to my FIL years ago then inherited it. The kick boards at the dollar store work great for kneelers. I always have two or three as I work my way down a row needing weeding.

maifleur01

Be very careful how you get up. My husband gave me one of these and the first time I used it I put my hands too far forward of the center and I ended up on the ground with the fool thing digging into my body.

OklaMoni

Mine is now almost 15 years old. Got it for my 50th. Use it in the yard all the time. Thanks for the idea of using the foam pipe insulation. From time to time I have used mine as an emergency chair, when I had more people than chairs.

I have also replaced the board, and re-clued the green foam pad... after the original screws rusted to the extend that they would no longer keep the seat/kneeling part ion place. I love mine for yardwork.

Moni

Raye Smith

Great idea, here's another use for that pipe foam, I put it around the handles of my laundry baskets. Makes it so much easier to hold a backet with a heavy load of laundry.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Lucille
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides 10 Home and Garden Projects to Start in Late Winter
Ease out of hibernation and get a jump on spring projects large and small
Full Story
Earth Day Great Home Project: Install a Rain Garden
These beautiful and environmentally friendly landscape additions have a place in wet and dry climates
Full Story