SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anla26

Why are most American roses grafted on Dr. Huey instead of Fortuniana?

I'm just curious. I never knew the difference until I joined this forum. I am now realizing that in my PNW garden Fortuniana performs much better than Dr Huey. The roses seem to grow larger and have more flowers. They are more robust in general.

What are the differences between the two rootstocks? Why do growers prefer Dr. Huey? Who is grafting onto Fortuniana besides Palantine? I know gardeners in Florida purchase roses on Fortuniana...are they buying them only locally or through mail order as well?

Ironically, the first rose I planted in my rose garden was a "White Lady Banks" I purchased from Home Depot ten years ago (before I joined these forums). I planted it in a terrible spot in my garden with no irrigation or fertilizer at all. It survived and grew slowly, partially blocked by a large ceanothus next to it. I finally removed the ceanothus and gave the "lady Banks" some water and it bloomed for the first time last spring. That's when I realized it was Fortuniana and not White Lady Banks.

Do you have a preference? Does anyone else notice a difference in their garden?

Comments (18)