SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mona2_gw

Rose overtaken by Dr. Huey?

14 years ago

I'm new to Roses, 3rd year owning one. I believe my rose is taken over by Dr. Huey (sp?). I read about this in another forum but I'm not 100% sure if and what to do. I tried searching for this in this forum but the search tool doesn't seem to be working.

The rose I bought was a bright red rose, large blooms with lots of petals, Veterans' Honor Hybrid Tea rose. Last year it got some kind of fungus and didn't do much in way of flowers. I ended up having to trim it back quite a bit. I wintered it over and pruned it properly and dusted with fungal powder. The bush started out the season healthy with lots of buds so I was happy that it made it through. Now I'm getting lots of smaller blooms a deeper maroon color which are sparce in the center. NOT what I had in mind. I looked and sure enough at the bottom there are shoots coming out of the ground, the problem is the blooms that are darker color on on stems are coming from the side of the bud union. Is this normal? Does that part need to come off too? If I take everything off I'm afraid there will be nothing left...so do I need to just dig it up and start over with a new bush? Also how do I know next time I'm not getting a plant that has Dr. Huey underneath? My terminology is probably really bad, so hope I'm making sense.

Comments (14)