SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
will_black92

Design too grand?

Will Black
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hey guys. im asking you what do you think about the main living room which is 16.5 feet by 65.5 feet.

the whole house in only 1 level and its a total of 3067 sq feet of usable space. the brown part at the top is a patio. Im not sure what height the wall of the main room should be, without the cathedral ceiling, just the wall. and if its too narrow, maybe bump it up to 20 feet.

the middle part where its empty now it would be a open library type with a piano and chairs and tables for study and books on the left side walls.

Comments (54)

• Will Black
    Original Author
    5 years ago

little seating? i explained in my comment, its not furnished, just little stuff for reference. you can clearly see the windows going on the right side for 20 feet long and you have windows up and down as well, as you can see in the image, the black lines in the walls. as for the section with the couch you dont need much light, you want it more dark for the projector or tv to work better. but even so, you have plenty of light, more than normal houses thats for sure.

yes you can entertain.

• Will Black
    Original Author
    5 years ago

what? cant you guys see the image? the room would be sectioned in 3 parts, the couch and tv part, the library and study part and the fireplace and dining table part, each 20 feet long on avg. the space is not even that big lol if you think about it. no1 is shouting over anything. you have a section for everything, but its just not divided by a hard wall, just an imaginary wall.

• Related Discussions

My Grande Dame is not so grand

Q

Comments (9)
    Jannike, I planted it in a very large and deep hole but couldn't amend the entire bed since other roses and plants were already in situ. I wish I'd known this before I put the first rose in the ground about 8 years ago, but it's too late now. Yes, my other roses are almost all putting out new growth, even Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux, which is in even more shade but already has several buds on it. Kingcobb, I bought this rose on January 12, but six roses that were own-root in 2-gallon pots that were purchased on January 29 are actively growing and had buds, most of which I've pinched off. However, it may just be that this rose is slower to develop or that it needs more sun than it has at present. Two of the roses that I bought on 1/29, Gruss an Aachen and Pink Gruss an Aachen are in an area of low light and both have already bloomed. I think I'll just adopt a wait-and-see attitude until we're closer to summer and this rose has a longer exposure to the sun. I might try a fish fertilizer solution and see if that helps it along.
    ...See More

Grand Design TV show

Q

Comments (26)
    That is probably my favorite home design show. Being married to a Brit and having spent considerable ampunt of time there, I can appreciate many of the details. Housing values in much of the country are quite high so ordinary people can build a fabulous house and not end up spending way more than the finished market value. I also recommend the Grand Designs Australia version.
    ...See More

Jasmines: 'Grand Duke of Tuscany' vs. 'Grand Duke Supreme'?

Q

Comments (13)
    I know Carol.. and I can understand the curiosity. I started the research for these names 5-6 yrs ago and have now ended up with a huge collection of jasmines and then some :) I am a jasmine junkie too..lol! I have french perfume jasmines called as jasminum grandiflorum french perfume(flora plena) which is a double and jasminum grandiflorum a single from logees. Both of them are vigorous bloomers in summer and do not require chilling period for blooms. The nurseries sell them with different names but essentially they all are cultivars of jasmineum officianale. I love the single variety a little better. The blooms are bigger for this cultivar. Accents sells a single variety called as jasminum officianale or poet's jasmine which has smaller bloom. They also have double variety and call it as jasmine officianale grandiflora-french perfume. Hope this helps.
    ...See More

Design dilemma: need furniture ideas for baby grand piano room

Q

Comments (2)
    If this space does not need to be a tv room, I would take the opportunity to create a music/library space. Do a wall of built in bookshelves where the accent wall is and get four super comfy club chairs in either leather or velvet, a couple of ottomans, and a couple of end tables. You could group all four together in the middle of the space, or do two groupings, one closer to the piano.
    ...See More
  • einportlandor
    5 years ago

Karen Paul -- I suggest you delete your comment.

Will Black -- Although some people are just rude, most truly want to help. What I think people are trying to tell you is that they don't believe the design will be comfortable or practical. Can you describe the atmosphere you are trying to create? Do you have pictures of similar layouts that might help Houzz readers understand what you're trying to accomplish? Do you have any alternative layouts?

Oh, and, the diagram you posted is very difficult to read, at least on my computer screen. It might help to post one that better shows walls, windows and doors. A black and white diagram might work better.

• Will Black
    Original Author
    5 years ago

oh finally someone without a majestic attitude, very nice. its not designed to be comfortable, cozy little house, but to entertain. you dont need to read the small stuff, thats not important.

here is a picture that will represent the size and windows, for the most part, but will have a slightly different design.

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    Will, that picture looks to be a room about 30-40 feet in length, not 65. You will run into problems with a room of this length and width because furniture placement still needs to factor for traffic patterns through the space. My parents have one large room like this (though it is deeper, probably about 45’x20’) and they have a very difficult time furnishing it. It is also very loud for entertaining.
  • otterplay
    5 years ago
    Not a pro. The questions about who/how many will live in this space are important because of the noise potential. If there will be sporting events on tv, conversation, studying, and a baby trying to sleep all going on at the same time, that could be very hard on everyone. Maybe that doesn't happen in your home. Still, noise potential is a valid point to consider. The 20 foot vaulted ceiling would tend to amplify that. The ceiling height is greater than the width of the room. That could feel odd in such a long space. Since you live in Europe, you could take a look at height/width/length proportions of a nearby cathedral, one you can visit. How do your proposed dimensions compare proportionally? Maybe one of the cathedral's side aisles has dimensions similar to yours. For you, is that a comfortable space for social interaction? Are people speaking in hushed tones to because of echoes? Some of that could be due to hard building surfaces that a home could soften a bit with planning. Your space could be spectacular and appropriate for your needs. Just be sure to think through how it will be used. Good luck with your project.
  • Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    For perspective, here is another posters dilemma with a narrow, long living room. See how 15’ of depth isn’t enough for passing comfortably behind furniture? https://www.houzz.com/discussions/help-layout-dilemma-long-narrow-living-family-room-for-family-of-8-dsvw-vd~3779241
  • dan1888
    5 years ago

You can do a test run of your space size. Cardboard boxes for the kitchen and island and folding chairs and more cardboard for dining and living areas. Then have friends show up to get the feel for how you'd use it. My space is 28x40 and 10' high except for the kitchen end.. The width works for us and can handle a pretty large group of friends.

• Will Black
    Original Author
    5 years ago

bri bosh the furniture problem is not really a problem, the way i would lay what is needed would allow for a 5-7 feet corridor at any point of the room. being this big, you will not have clutter and stuff like that as its presented in the photos you shown.

returning to your previous post, i dont think the room from the image is 40 feet long.

if you count each window frame, there are about 10-12 with the section wall. and from the looks each window is 5-7 feet long by 9-10 feet high, and if you have 10-12, you would reach 60 feet.

• Will Black
    Original Author
    5 years ago

otterplay i will check what you say out but as for the sound problem, im not sure it would be such a problem, for one of the walls would be made out of shelves of books, suppressing the sound, and i could install some special material on the ceiling to suppress additional sound. idk.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

Oh no, it’s going to cost more than two grand.

• Will Black
    Original Author
    5 years ago

mark what you mean? what two grand?

• J B
    5 years ago

The room in the picture you shared works because it has large windows running the full length of the room. Your plan doesn't have that. The doors/windows to the patio may make it appear more like a tunnel.

• hummingalong2
    5 years ago
    I see two bathrooms, one obviously the master, and the other with access from one bedroom. Since you will be entertaining, is there a powder/guest bathroom? Sorry it's not what you asked....it's hard to read the room descriptions/names in order to get an overall vision. Your flooring will be very important if you want to dampen echos.
  • Will Black
    Original Author
    5 years ago

j b but i do have 20 feet window wall close to the middle, cant you see it in the image? its the black line. and i have 10 feet of window wall at the bottom of the room as well.

• worthy
    5 years ago

One of my previous builds featured a main living area approx. 16'x 55' with a ten-foot ceiling broken into separate kitchen, breakfast and family room areas; total house size was 4,250 sf.

Here's an inspiration shot of a soft Brutalist of similar size.

Ghost Wash House, Paradise Valley, Az.8,500 sf. Architecture-Infrastructure-Research

Our upcoming build features a main living area of 15'6" x 60' with a 12' ceiling; total size 5,800 sf.

It's not your dimensions that are of as much concern as their placement--in the middle of the home. As well, the immense difference of scale between the public and private areas will be jarring. Your design would benefit from a design professional.

• Will Black
    Original Author
    5 years ago

humming only little part of the house is furnished, i just put some stuff there for size fit, its not finished at all.

• Will Black
    Original Author
    5 years ago

worthy, the interior design is not finished, i just put some stuff there for reference, not finished at all.

'' It's not your dimensions that are of as much concern as their placement--in the middle of the home. '' what are you even trying to say?

i commented 3 times now, the middle of the room would be a open library with a lot of stuff.

• waverly6
    5 years ago

I'm sorry that you have been getting unhelpful abrupt comments. I take it that it's not possible to increase the width. I think you are on a great start in setting your space up as distinct zones which are separated by function but not by physical divisions. I have had large open living areas in various houses over the last 30 years and I love open areas. never had a noise issue. People have been in different parts of the space, doing different things and it functions very well. I think my current great room kitchen is about 1.5 by 50 with a bump out semi hexagon for the dining area and it doesn't feel too long. Of course you can also handle acoustic issues, with rugs, soft furnishings and window treatments. I had one great room which was 30 by 50 and it had the kitchen, dining area, living room/sitting conversational area by the fireplace and facing the view, a TV watching area with a sofa and big armchairs, a pool table with a bench nearby for onlookers to perch and a sort of entry area with a large stone fountain where the stairs came into. The ceiling height at the center of the pitch was about 22 feet. it was wonderful, homey, comfortable and never loud even with large groups.

I would consider a few things. I would try to place the dining area close to the kitchen area and then I would place the sitting area where there is a pleasant view. If you want to have a projector in that area too, perhaps black out window shades? I'm not sure if you have already done this but then think about how you want the rest of the space to function. If you want entertaining space then how about a bar area/ pool table? game table? I would consult with someone who has a good knowledge of acoustics as to where is the best placement for the grand piano. I'm also not sure I would want my study area to be in the middle part. Personally I would prefer it more tucked away. Study areas tend to have paperwork and utilitarian aspects, like file cabinets, printers and so on. I wouldn't want that in the middle of my entertaining space. You might also prefer a quieter area for this and for reading.

• J Williams
    5 years ago

60’ is very long, if everything is on one floor, perhaps an atrium or skylight would help break up the space a little and add light, unless that grey area is an outdoor space with windows? 16’ is not bad, I think our entire property is maybe 15’, but at that length is might be kind of tunnel like. Your living area would be our entire first floor plus a few feet. I wonder if a level change somewhere would help define a different space without walls? Where is the kitchen? The kitchen is often the heart of the home.

• Will Black
    Original Author
    5 years ago

j wiliams yes the gray and blue is the pool, and the kitchen is right above, are not the design icons not understandable?.

• worthy
    5 years ago

'' It's not your dimensions that are of as much concern as their
    placement--in the middle of the home. '' what are you even trying to
    say?

Sorry. I struggle with English.

The space you're asking about is in the middle of the drawing. Windows top and bottom and one facing an indoor court/swimming pool/whatever. Not much light, certainly compared to the one inspiration photo you provide.

• Will Black
    Original Author
    5 years ago

waverly yes the library so to say its not really for what you said, if you look in the middle, to the left there is a square room, that would be the actual office. and as for sound problems and such, there will no studying and such as well as any kind of party at the same time. there are 4 bedrooms plus the master bedroom, you will be able to have privacy if actual study is needed.

the piano thing, i will consider.

• J Williams
    5 years ago

Ahhh. It looked like a pool, but I wasn’t sure. I thought that might have been the kitchen, I cannot read anything on your pic and the kitchen looks a little underdevolped as compared to the other parts of the house. One thing that might be nice is to have a washroom near the pool, as you will be coming into the house wet I’d presume. Not sure if this is meant to be a family home.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

It looks very much like many barn conversations which are quite common in the UK. A large loft here in the US would be comparable.

They are very difficult to do well. Noise is a factor, heating/cooling even more so. Some I've seen featured on Escape to the Country have been stunning, but I'm not sure I would choose to live that way.

I think you need the help of a very talented architect/designer to pull this off. Do some online research for "barn conversations UK" and see what you find.

It will either be great or awful!

• Will Black
    Original Author
    5 years ago

worthly the pool is not indoor? its outside, maybe its hard to understand from the image. 20 feet of straight window wall plus light from the top of the room another 16 feet of window wall. idk how much light do you need. i see so many people making houses with 2 small windows per room and no1 complains. i make it with full glass walls and everyone complains.

• Will Black
    Original Author
    5 years ago

j will the kitchen is 170 sq feet, idk how big would you want it, it will not be a congregation space at all, and as for the wash room, i will consider it.

its not a family home, at least not yet, its more from the bros to hang out and do stuff, i guess.

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

Will - you are getting these comments because we can NOT read your print. Please as someone else suggested repost the floor plan in black and white or enlarge it so that it can be read if you care for our input

• Will Black
    Original Author
    5 years ago

cheryl there is nothing to read, the only ''problem'' is with the main centre living area, the other stuff is not even in the discussion. and i dont have the plan in white and black atm, so i cant.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

Architects design buildings to meet the needs of their clients and fit the environment in which it will be in. As you should not take a sandwich to a banquet, you should not take a floor plan to an architect.

Buildings should last a long time and are designed to meet needs over a long period of time as much as they can be. Designing a home solely for "the bros to hang out and do stuff, i guess" is short sighted and potentially foolish; and if you are just guessing, that amplifies the risk.

Spaces are designed to accommodate the functions that will take place in them. Make them too small and they will not be able to function. Make them too big and they may not function well. Most architects have the ability to size and arrange spaces to meet their intended needs.

When you get ready to build, or maybe before, talk to a few architects to get a better feel of what architects do and how they can help you. Good luck with your project.

• Will Black
    Original Author
    5 years ago

mark, thx but i dont think any1 starts building without going to 1-2 architects first and structural engineers. atleast not in europe. buildings are just their value in $, nothing more nothing less, as for the intent of this house, its well established in my mind, maybe i didnt communicate it well, the ''i guess' is meant to say, it can be for congregation of high testosterone males, in some days at some hours. It could fit as well any other group of persons, women or children.

since when houses are so constrained on their possible value in activities.

most architects dont have much ability at all, for ive looked at 100-200 floor plans and 95% of them waste so much space on huge and useless hallways and other such stuff, its insane.

you can take whatever you want to the architect, its his job to figure it out, or should i already plan everything for him?

• hummingalong2
    5 years ago
    If all we can focus on is the 16X65' room and no changes are to be made? then I guess the biggest question is how you will furnish/decorate it all to make it user/guest friendly.
  • Will Black
    Original Author
    5 years ago

humming did you read the full thread? or even the main comment? i clearly state: what high would be better for its size and if the 16.5 feet be extented to 20feet? those are changes, are they not? as for furnish, i explained it 5 times.

• Ayten Sen
    5 years ago

If you like sports do it otherwise you will get tired to get yourself a drink from the kitchen. All the way you have to walk... you did not explain where your windows are. The black lines we understand now are your windows. you should have explained this better in the beginning.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

How many people will live in this house? How many people do you expect in the living room at one time?

I'm unclear what the flow is into and out of the living room and how much natural light is in the room. Is that a wall of windows at the top? Glass doors?

What country are you in and what's the natural light situation there, especially in the winter?

Are you working with an architect, a draftsperson, or a program on your computer?

• just_janni
    5 years ago

I disagree with Steve. For a grand hall of this dimension, the appropriate ceiling height is 23 feet. It will balance the light and the sound perfectly. Well done and good luck with the project.

• J Williams
    5 years ago

I still maintain your kitchen might need fleshing out, what with windows, entrys and appliances taking up space. You will be bring9ng things in from the front (porch I’m guessing). Each appliance/work area by my est. is about 3’ roughly, so with fridge, sink, dishwasher, fridge and stove you are now easily at 15’. When doors are opened they will intrude into space a further 2-3’ roughly, often with a person having to stand behind them, and possibly/probably having other persons around as well. Your sink needs an area for drying things/dishwasher needs a dishloading area, your stove needs a place to put pots or dishes while cooking, your fridge needs a place for loading groceries. You will need to store food. You will need areas for countertop appliances in all likelihood, esp if this is a casual, fend for yourself type situation. For me, I need uninterrupted clear counter space as I bake, for others who like to entertain, a place to serve from. I realize you didn’t ask about that space, but in my personal experience kitchens need to work (and work with the rest of the home) to make homes liveable, people often congregate there despite all the better areas they could probably hang out in.

• partim
    5 years ago

What an unusual space! Can you tell us a little more about the project? Are you fitting this into an existing space or building it from scratch? Who will be living there?

• runnem
    5 years ago
    “its more from the bros to hang out and do stuff, i guess.”

Well, that right there explains everything.
  • biki99
    5 years ago

Will, I love the drama of than central room. It has a lot of potential to be a great space to spend time in and move through. The windows look good and will enhance the spaciousness. I do think it is too narrow though and would definitely go to 20'. Not sure about the ceiling heights as I would need to see elevations.

The reason to widen the space is so you can easily circulate through it, past the objects placed in the zones you described, to have flow. It would be strange (and ironic) to have all that luxury of space in one direction - the y axis, but then be crimped in the x axis. Is 22' possible?

As far as the diagram, is it possible to alter your choice of floor or at least give it a lighter color., or just white? That would make "seeing" the proportions of the layout much easier, as well as the window placement, circulation, etc., both for you and anyone consulting.

These design programs have such silly icons for furniture and objects. They are useful for scale only as you know, and are distracting in their cartoonishness. It's a good idea to ascribe the color white to them if you can so they don't distract from seeing the spacial relationships in the house.

The room jutting into the pool should to be reconsidered. That corner by the pool is very tight and awkward for people to pass each other. Can you remove that room fully and allow that zone to be pool paving? It would be a nice place for a group to congregate, or for a table, buffet ... and you would have an open square in plan the dimensions of which you can relate proportionally to other aspects of the design.

There are a few other things I see but I understand you are not finished with the layout.

Best.

• dan1888
    5 years ago

Going from 16.5 to 20 gets you more of a feeling of resting spaces instead of a transit area used to get somewhere else. Furniture type and placement then comes into play as to how well the 20 works.

• cpaul1
    5 years ago

I wouldn't consider that anything could be "grand" in a 3,000 sq ft house. So if that's your only concern, then I wouldn't worry about it.

• biki99
    5 years ago

dan1888, cpaul1, and boundsgreener, so good to hear your input. I live in a loft, and am building a house which is a more developed version of the space I'm in now. Big central open room, with "support" rooms around.

Dan, exactly ... resting spaces. Very important in an open plan. I think that's what Will's query was actually about.

Will Black thanked biki99
  • rockybird
    5 years ago

Defintely expand it to 20 feet. I have an L shaped house. The long arm of the L has at least 60 linear feet of open living space bordered mostly by floor to ceiling glass. The width is around 20 feet at the narrowest point. The short arm of the L is another 30 linear feet of space by less than 20 Feet in width (not sure of exact measuremen). It is very hard to furnish the narrower space because of walkways. In fact, it’s a challenge. I’d pick the 20 feet width without question.

Will Black thanked rockybird
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I would be more concerned with the height of the ceilings even though this is a large space which I love I also like ahome to not feel like airplane hangar. I would keep ceilings lower with no vaulted part and at most 10’ ceiling. Your space would be like my house doubled ours is 25 x 72’ on the main floor and we entertain a lot and enjoy a space where furniture can be moved to accomadate different groups and if I could afford it that main floor would be all open with the bedrooms in the walkout basement. I do think 20” width would be a better choice for that LR.BTW soft materials absorb sound better than hard so the lower ceiling would also help with that.

Will Black thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Will Black
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for the the last 4 comments, people that actually get it, but even so i actually decided to change the plan a little, giving the long room even more glass wall space, so to comfort the haters.

• User
    5 years ago

Some of the rooms you have on your new plan are called "wells" or "pencil cases" in my country . They are usually at least 2 or even 3 times longer than a window wall, and you have to keep lights on all day long in winter. Another issue on your plan is a swimming pool which is located too close to the building. Expect elderly people or kids falling into it and getting concussions at best. You need to hire someone who knows what they are doing. You are just cutting your space into random rectangles without thinking what these rooms will look like from inside and how the house will look like from outside. Honestly, i can't even imagine where the entrance door is. Do you have one?

• biki99
    5 years ago

Since we're only discussing the big room and the pool, and their relationship, I have just a couple of things to say. The first plan was better as far as massing, the second plan is better as far as the shape of the pool relative to the large room, the windows also - and as far as the safety of a slippery place with the terrible corner in the first plan.

The pool is a useful form as far as deliniating the three zones you want to define in the main room.

Whichever option you decide on, it's time to think about and incorporate the rest of the program, which a planner can not comment on until you reveal more specific information. What you have is a diagram now, clear as far as your vision, and which needs to work with the reality of a structure that functions well. So, what is the orientation of this building, what is the context? How much space surrounds the structure, views? Where is the street entrance? What is the climate? One story structure?

• biki99
    5 years ago

I would suggest you move the pool back up to where it was, and straighten it. Work from there. Also, you need more than a meter around the pool. Try two if not more. Have a place to rest.