SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_hogan285

Colors Colors and more colors

Jennifer Hogan
5 years ago

hole home reno and all new colors to be selected.

I have been working on plumbing, electrical and other not so fun stuff, but am now starting the real transformation of my home.

I'm not attaching photos of the house because none of the colors, wallpaper, flooring are staying.

The only things that are staying are my brick fireplace and my red/geen/purple slate entry floor and an upholstered chaise lounge and red recliner (The green recliner is gone).

colors · More Info

The flooring picture isn't great - the dark tiles are a deep purple gray, not black.

Here is my floorplan:

Floor Plan · More Info

and here is my color pallet:

The paint colors are mostly Benjamin Moore except for my neutral.

Neutral is Devine Cappuccino - similar to BM Hazelwood,

Blue Greens are Quiet Moments and Beach Glass. Already painted the master bath in Quiet Moments.

Red is Calente and the purple is Hazy Lilac. I have not tested these two colors in the home yet.

I love the flooring I selected, but am not completely tied to which rooms should have which color floor.

The only room that has been painted is the master bath. Had to get it done before the new vanity was put in.

The vanity in both bathrooms is solid serface Ice Queen. The vanity in the master bath is white. The other vanity will be painted - not sure what color yet.

Need color suggestions, ideas for:

Kitchen cabinets, kitchen counter, kitchen backsplash, sofa, chairs for Living room, bathroom cabinets, area carpets for living room, office, sitting room - maybe the master bedroom.

Thinking of doing an accent wall in the office with a color.

I like color, have a ton of artwork with reds, greens and purples. Love big bold patterns and solids.

Like clean looks and brushed nickle finishes.

I have all white appliances except for a stainless steel refrigerator. I hate the stainless, so will not be getting more of it. Cannot keep it free from puppy nose prints.

Suggestions please!

Comments (20)

• Jennifer Hogan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Looks like the color pallet didn't attach - trying again!

colors · More Info

• Related Discussions

Kimi's Plumeria Sale PIX !!!

Q

Comments (7)
    Rodney, I was actually able to attend Kimi's sale. I took a leisurely drive out there on Sunday. When I walked into the back, I was like a kid in a candy store. So many plumies, and the quality of the plants, need I say more! Juan and Rick were such a great help. They both helped me find two plants that I've wanted, a "JL pink pansy" (4 tips) and a "Paul Weissich" (2 tips). The price was also quite reasonable. I know I've paid as much on E-bay for unrooted cuttings. This was my first time there and hopefully not my last. Two new additions to my plumie family: JL Pink Pansy Paul Weissich Happy growing everyone, Rick
    ...See More

Glider is HOME !! what color to paint her ??

Q

Comments (35)
    Thank you Nicloe. I am so happy I got it before he trashed it !! I will post...gotta finish the porches 1st LOL> OK I Jgtbm : I had to read it 2x and then I GOT it. WOW you are a whiz. So where do I get clear contact paper...you can see I never get out ?? !! I have the perfect xacto ( I will borrow from DH haha ) and it will be so much better. Nope can't pay out anymore for this project so will be on my own. I have done it so much though that I think it will be OK> I will get started by the weekend.. this is exciting .>>THANK YOU !! c
    ...See More

Paint color dilemma, more $ for a darker color?

Q

Comments (14)
    Also, at least with Sherwin Williams paints, some darker colors require a different (darker) shade of primer. We used mostly lighter colors throughout the house but painted one room and a couple of accent walls in two other rooms with SW Spicy Hue (a deep cinnamony red brown hue). Those walls had to be primed with a dark grey primer AND it still took something like 4 or 5 coats of paint for the Spicy Hue to look exactly right. Final result is gorgeous but it took some work to get there. (p.s. I KNOW for a fact that the paint used was Sherwin Williams and not some cheaper knock-off tinted to match the SW color because I went to SW myself and bought both the paint and the primer myself and delivered it to the painters.) My painters did not charge extra but I chose to pay them a small bonus because I knew they wound up doing quite a bit more work than anticipated on those walls.
    ...See More

Custom range knob colors (for KitchenAid but really more general)

Q

Comments (11)
    I am 100% with bagofchips. I'm getting a 48" KitchenAid range. It is the highest rated on Consumer Reports and I love it! I still want some color knobs - not red. Why in the world is no one making after-market knobs for these ranges? Let us choose our colors. Kitchenaid! Are you listening? If anyone knows where I can get these knobs in color, please let me know. Thanks!
    ...See More
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

WAY too much going on. ONE flooring in the house, as much as possible. Too many paint colors "chop" a house. Color is fine, that's why there is art and upholstery fabric and rugs,

Jennifer Hogan thanked JAN MOYER
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    5 years ago
    I love the colors late floor and the fabric choices! I agree that the floor should be uniform and neutral, and the same with the walls. Your window treatments, furniture, art and accessories will help bring the colors through the house. I find that sometimes I live with a paint color for a bit then change my mind about it, which is fine. It’s an inexpensive thing to swap out. Would love to see more pics as the project progresses!
    Jennifer Hogan thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I agree the same floor everywhere the neutral you have chosen has a pinkish undertone i would use a pale gray/ green as a neutral instead one of the colors from the entry tile but lighter. IMO too many colors take away from art work and accent walls are tricky at best and better decided after all other materials are in place. I dislike white appliances in many kitchens and the nose prints are there regardless of whether you see them or not. IMo with loving color stainless is much nicer choice.I would do a nice 12 x24 porcelain tilefor floors if you want tile, in a color that works with the entry tile with no pattern at all. I like the colors for the furniture I actually had that pattern in 2 two chairs once

Jennifer Hogan thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • hamamelis
    5 years ago

I love that you're going warm and jewel-tone with your colors and have lots of colorful art . It's going to be very inviting once put together well.

For just one suggestion: If it were my project, with lots of artwork and bold patterns and colors, I would probably go harmonious and pretty monochrome on the backgrounds to set off what was placed against them. That would go for most of the floor area also, except for your entry tile and special rugs, of course, and I notice your flooring choice is in harmony with the living area's wall color.

With that, I'd be extremely selective and compositional with contrasting white, placing it only where I wanted the eye to be drawn, which in most cases would probably not be to a window frame adjacent to a favorite painting. :) So many trimmed elements in almost every home, such as doorways and most windows (and also kitchen cabinets!), are in odd sizes, shapes, numbers, scales and positions that highlighting very undesirably shows off.

So I might do most of my trim in the active living area in a slightly lighter Devine Cappucino, or something similar, so it didn't pop, compete and clutter up the composition. No reason I couldn't paint a special window to grab attention, and paint the others to recede as desired. The fireplace looks as if it will be a strong, lighter architectural element that will draw the attention it deserves, and I'd be careful not to use a white that caused it's own to look dingy. If I wanted white in the room, and I always do, it could be placed exactly where I needed it to be through art or some other accessory.

It's actually hard to find pictures without contrasting trim, but I also noticed this room because, like some of the colors in your patterned fabric, the blue, green, and coral colors contrast in hue but harmonize by their values being generally mid-range. Your patterned fabric, of course, has some of your planned background color in it, of course. But in this room dark and light contrasts are added after the overall harmony is established. And, of course, the white is used to create a focal point in a plain room, with little spots added elsewhere where needed.

Living Room Envy · More Info

Jennifer Hogan thanked hamamelis
  • Jennifer Hogan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Why are you using more that one flooring color? Good question. I love the gray with a purple undertone, It is almost a perfect match to the purple gray in the slate. but it is dark and I worried that doing that flooring throughout would be too dark. The lighter tone has the purple gray with the light taupe and blends well with the darker flooring. Same manufacturer and style.

I had originally thought I would do carpet in the bedrooms and LVT in the rest of the house, but rethought things and decided to use the dark LVT in the bedrooms and the first bathroom and the lighter in the contiguous areas of the house. I really can't say why I didn't also choose the dark for the master bath, but it seemed to flow better with the light color in the hall and bath.

My concern with the light is that it will be too much of the same neutral, as it is very close in color to the neutral that I picked.

I have toyed with buying a box of each to lay out and get a feel for what a large expanse would feel like in the home.

My last home had all off white ceramic tile except the livingroom and 3 bedrooms. I loved the look, but my joints didn't like the hardness. I am older and LVT is a better choice, but there isn't much out there without a lot of pattern. This LVT is as monochromatic as I could find without going almost white and the manufacturers will not warrantee against whites going yellow from the oils that stick to your shoes from the asphalt driveway. I will do what I can to protect my flooring, but I can't afford to replace white in a year when it gets a yellow traffic stain.

• Jennifer Hogan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Your palette look like the Caliente is for the dining room and neutral in the living room, but the floorplan doesn't show any separation between the rooms. Can you clarify what colors go where?

The dining room only has two walls. One is shared with the kitchen and one is shared with the livingroom. I marked it on the pallet as Caliente, but my plan was that the back wall that is shared with the kitchen would be Callente and the other wall that is shared with the livingroom would be cappuccino. It feels wrong to me when someone breaks a color midway through a wall without an architectural break.

I continued the red into the Laundry/Pantry. That could be a different color, but no one but me will go into that room and if the door is open it will have the same color as the kitchen and not be noticed as much as if it were a different color.

• J C
    5 years ago
    I agree with others about flirting throughout house should be one color and style. Flows much better. I bought a house we are slowing redoing and I call it the house of floors. Different colors and different styles. Carpet, stone tile, laminate and some porcelain.
    Jennifer Hogan thanked J C
  • Jennifer Hogan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You talk about colors but don't say anything about your style. What does your brick fireplace look like? Does the room get lots of light, or not much? Do you want to have a TV in the living room, and is TV viewing a priority for you? You should have and idea of layout to guide what furniture you need and how big it can/should be.

My style is MCM. All teak MCM furniture. Clean lines. My sofa is a 7' teak gondala style sofa, but needs re-upholstered. Would like to add 2 chairs so that more than 2 people can sit comfortably in the living room. Figured I would find something at some point.

The house was built in 1970 in a neighborhood of all MCM Rambling ranches. It is a rambling ranch, 2000 SF, 2 bedroom house, but it does not have the single pitch or flat roof that most of the other homes had, did not feature a sunken livingroom, clerestory windows or built ins that are prevelent in the other homes. It does feature the integration of indoor outdoor space. The fireplace is the same brick as the outside of the home. The foyer has a 6' wide and 6' tall window that spans from the front door to the garage wall on the outside, looking over the front garden.

The back of the livingroom is a 12' double sliding glass door leading to the patio. The sitting room has a 6' sliding glass door that leads to the same patio. The dining area also has 2 large windows and the master bedroom has one large window. Lots of good light everywhere except the office, guest bedroom and guest bath. The office does not have a window, which works for me because my job requires that my workspace not be visible from a window. The guest bath also does not have a window and the guest bedroom has only 1 small window.

The fireplace spans 10' and divides the living room and foyer. There are two 5' walkways on either side of the fireplace. Currently I have the TV on the wall that is shared by the entry closet and the sofa facing the TV. I do not like a TV over the fireplace. For the most part I will need to make the furniture I own work in the space available with the exception of adding a chair or two, so I figured the placement can wait to be tackled after I get flooring and paint colors nailed down. The livingroom is 20x20, large, but challenging with the 5' walkways and the 10' fireplace and the 12' window and the open dining room.

• Jennifer Hogan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

the neutral you have chosen has a pinkish undertone. This was a deliberate choice.

I discovered that I had a propensity to pick pink/purple undertones during the builders beige and white trend. I tried about 50 shades of beige and found nothing worked with my belongings. I discovered that I didn't own a single item of yellow beige anything. Not a shirt or pair of pants or a vase or lightshade. Everything was white or taupe with a pink/purple undertone. The only yellow I have are very clear yellows - butterfly and flower yellows.

That is when I learned about undertones and figured out that I am one of those rare people where taupe works well. I also have only 5000 k lighting in my home. Yellow lighting makes my purples look dingy.

This may be in part due to the fact that I have a lot of pink undertones in my skin and beige,olive greens, muddy colors look terrible on me, so I avoid those colors.

• Jennifer Hogan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I dislike white appliances in many kitchens and the nose prints are there regardless of whether you see them or not. IMo with loving color stainless is much nicer choice.

I respect that everyone loves the look of stainless and you are right that the nose prints are there whether you see them or not, but I need something that doens't streak and is easier to wipe down. I could do a gray or black or white or anything other than stainless. I am rather anal retentive and spend too much time wiping and cleaning and re-wiping and re-cleaning to get to a streak free state with stainless. I probably spend 2 hours a week wiping my refrigerator down. I don't want to triple the time investment by getting more stainless.

• Jennifer Hogan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I would do a nice 12 x24 porcelain tilefor floors if you want tile, in a color that works with the entry tile with no pattern at all.

I had monochromatic tile in my last home and loved the look. But my joints will not tolerate the hardness of a porcelain tile. I spent months looking for an LVT that is fairly monochromatic with little patterning with a 20 mil wearlayer and good reviews . . . The few that I found that were truly monochromatic had a linen type texture and I was worried about dirt getting stuck in all the little cracks and crevices. I envisioned myself on the floor with a toothbrush and throught it might not be a good choice for me.

• Jennifer Hogan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

hamamelis

I love your thoughts on trim not being all white! I honestly hadn't really given it much thought - had white trim in my last house and most painted trim is white, but my last home also was a california bungalow without window trim, so they weren't called out. This house has trim around every window and the white may be too bright.

My livingroom has no trim other than baseboards. The sliding glass door has a very dark taupe finish. I could lessen the impact of the windows in the dining room and kitchen with a lighter shade of cappuccino rather than white.

• Jennifer Hogan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So the overall concensus is that the flooring should be either the light or the dark, but the same even in the bedrooms and bathrooms.

Is there a concensus on which would be better - the light or the dark? Pros, Cons Oppinions?

• Jennifer Hogan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Am I right that the majority feel that bedrooms and bathrooms should be the same neutral wall color as the rest of the house? (Remove all the blue greens and purple).

• apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

You love the light colored flooring and it goes with your slate and your teak. When you are ready, have all the walls primed with white primer. it's best to postpone wall color decisions until after the flooring and lighting have been installed.

Jennifer Hogan thanked apple_pie_order
  • hollybar
    5 years ago

I think I can visualize what you are doing and it sounds lovely.....I'd suggest sticking with one floor throughout,allowing the foyer to 'announce' the colour palette. I definitely agree about painting the trim in a not white,the neutral Devine in a gloss should work in the public parts of the home and would avoid having the caliente trimmed out in white. (Which for me is something I would want to avoid) Personally,I would not paint all the walls throughout the home the same, I like variations in mood and energy.

Jennifer Hogan thanked hollybar
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    5 years ago
    I think you can do another fun slate or tile in the bathrooms that coordinate with the rest of the house. Those doors are usually closed.
    Jennifer Hogan thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • cawaps
    5 years ago

Thanks for answering all my questions. I understand your plan and tastes much better, and I love that you are very clear on your likes and dislikes.

I don't have a strong opinion either way on the light vs. the dark flooring, just that you should stick with one or the other. Given that you liked the off-white tile in your previous place, the my guess is you would prefer the lighter color.

I don't think you need to have to choose the same neutral throughout the house. That's a very conservative "safe" choice that seems to fly in the face of your stated preferences. My feeling is that the private spaces of the house can be whatever the occupant wants them to be. It's the connected public rooms where you really need to think about how it all works together, whether that is choosing just one paint color or choosing colors that coordinate where there is line-of-sight.

I love Benjamin Moore's Caliente but I am not fond of accent walls, which if I understand your plan correctly is what the one red dining room wall would be. When it comes to dark/bold paint colors, my philosophy is "do or do not"--"do" meaning do the whole room in the bold color, don't just dip your toe in the shallow end. But if you really think you just want an accent wall, I'd probably start with the whole open floor plan area in the same neutral, get the room furnished, take some photos and then come back here to try to get one of our very talented photoshoppers to do some imaging for you to see how the Caliente or other potential colors might look before settling on the accent wall color.

Jennifer Hogan thanked cawaps