SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelicatownshend

kitchen design help and island width question

angelicatownshend
2:17 PM
Alright, so taking advice into account, I have some updated drawings and a few questions. We are largely basing our design off of the rental house we are currently in while the work is being arranged and done. It works great for our cooking and living style with a few things we would change. In it there is an angled island that’s 13.5 feet x 44.5” in width (not including the angled bits, which are wider. The distance from the cooktop to the sink is just over 5 feet, with the narrowest points being 2 4 feet pinch points in the aisle where the angles jut in. It also has a beverage fridge. I’ll attach some photos, but point is, we were to some degree able to “try before we buy” on this size and arrangement of layout. One difference is ours will have a few more cabinets but will not have the walk-in pantry they have here. Also, we have a range with double oven instead of a wall oven, and we don’t have a counter depth double wide fridge/freezer combination. After taking measurements again and looking at the space, I do agree that 36” may be too narrow, making it so that the space behind the sink in the seating area would be tight. If I take 4” from each aisle, I can achieve the same width as here, but will end up with 56” aisles on the long ends. I’m hoping this will be enough for the wheelchair, but I do think the 5’ work width is great, as here it allows one person to work at both the stove and sink with enough room for someone to squeeze by in between. Plus, no more bruises on my ankles from the dishwasher door when it’s down. Our cabinet lady said any overhang greater than 12” may be an issue with lack of support for the weight, and if we do widen the island, there will be a 19” overhang on the seating area and a 7” overhang on the back storage area, assuming 1” overhang on the working side. I also took your advice and planned out where all our stuff would go. I ended up with a couple extra spots for growth or extra stuff I may not have thought of. I know some of the placements may seem odd, but I’m trying to really arrange it according to how we live. No cleaning supplies where I have to worry about kids getting them, a hamper for all the towels we use to clean up instead of having them on a pile on the floor until we can walk them to the hamper in our closet, a spot for cereal and pasta near where we use them and near where the milk will be stored in the beverage fridge, and spots for my daughters school and homework papers as well as crayons/ markers/ pencils and glue. I even have a cabinet to stash my mountains of medical bills and insurance papers I work on weekly. I’m always working at the kitchen counter and my fantasy that I’d do it all in my office never came to fruition. I might as well plan accordingly for the reality of how I function. I also have the baking and dough making supplies near the baking area, with a the kitchen aid lift across it on the island. We make pizza a lot and this will be great. Any advice is welcome. You’ve been such a help so far! I’ll probably repost this as a new post, too, for more advice.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert