SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

Questions re. putting up a base for pergola/gazebo

homey_bird
5 years ago

Hi all. It's been a while since I've posted on this forum, however, I am getting back into gardening and design after a long hiatus.

I live in Sunset Zone 15/16 (San Francisco Bay Area Peninsula) -- and am trying to install a garden pergola/gazebo to be used for lounging. Currently, my desired pergola size is 10'x12', and I'll be using a powdered aluminum kit for a gazebo.

The spot where the gazebo will be installed is currently a dirt patch, therefore we will need to install a patio on which this structure will rest. Current plan is to use pavers or concrete slabs to create this patio base.

I've received the following description for this work from the contractor. I am trying to find out what this means from the perspective of strength, stability, permeability & durability etc. so that I can tweak it while there's a chance.

I am also trying to set up another hardscape area around a fountain, and currently my choice of covering is rectangular Bluestone slabs, with ~1.5" spacing filled with pebbles. Will the same specs as below work for that surface as well (of course the first line will be changed to Bluestone)? Bluestone area will have a fountain over it, but will not be used for any purpose other than walking/running on it by humans and pets. (This will be surrounded by planting beds, therefore not the entire section of yard is being paved. However, I am wondering about whether this will cause flooding).

- Approximately 120 sq. ft. of new Belgard pavers ( Laffit Grana or Catalina ) will be used

- Sub grade will be compacted to 95% relative density and 4" of base rock will be compacted prior to paver installation.

- Geotextile fabric plastic will be installed under base rock.

- 1" layer of top sand will be used to created final bed for pavers.

- Polymeric sand will be added to pavers and vibrated into joints for extra strength.

- Joint stabilizer sealant will be applied to new pavers.

- Excess soil will be removed and hauled away.

Any thoughts/comments?

Comments (4)