SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danni_in_pdx

If You're Tacky and you know it.... Garden Rooms/gazebos

danni_in_pdx
15 years ago

First off, we have one. The standard 12' x 12' taupe and black metal variety from Target or somesuch. It shades our dark wood deck that forms an "L" with our house and literally bakes all summer (well, the little summer we get in Portland). My kids are lily-white skinned and we all get heat sick pretty fast, so one day I bought one, put it up and thought I'd died and gone to heaven. It even keeps the downstairs cooler, by not having the heat reflect off our deck and straight into the biggest open space on our main floor. BUT, I noticed recently a similar one, in a lawn, by the side of a house next to a busy road and it looked so tacky and it occurred to me that, yes Virginia, I might have made a big design faux pas.

My husband won't give me a straight answer, for fear I will find another, more expensive fix to the roasting problem. We live on 1/4 acre, backing to greenspace with almost no neighbors. Our house is Colonial, huge and pretty nice. Our yard is pretty nice too. (This isn't a tract house with postage stamp lawn and 6' good-neighbor fence where everyone sees everything that everyone is doing.) Are you getting the idea? I don't know who to ask. I normally think I have reasonably good taste. Mostly, it just works so incredibly well and was less than $200. Feedback?

Comments (7)