SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riverrat1

Only one guest room and 3 Grandchildren

riverrat1
5 years ago

My husband and I will start our new retirement home build in about 4 months. We have been in the planning stage, with our Architect, for over a year. We have gone through many schematic drawings of different homes to build and we've finally decided on one that fits our present needs. This home will be 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms on one level. One bedroom will be used as an office/study until my husband retires. We do not want a Murphy bed in the office/study. He needs a space of his own to do work from home. One guest room (queen bed) with attached bath and the master bedroom/bathroom. The ceilings are 11'.

We have 3 Grandchildren, ages 12 (girl), 8 (boy) and an almost 8 year old girl. The 12 year old and 8 year old boy live in the same city as we do and we regularly have them for sleep overs. The almost 8 year old girl comes in from out of town about 4-5 times a year. They are all here together much of the time the out of towner granddaughter is here.

My dilemma is this:

I need the guest bedroom to function as an adult guest suite but also work double duty for when the Grands are here. The Grands would not be here if I have out of town guest. I've thought about getting a couple of those ottomans that can turn into a twin bed. The ottomans are on rollers and it seems easy enough to roll them into other areas of the house for two of the Grands while one Grand has the guest bed. They won't be slept on every night but maybe one ottoman would have a sleeper on it 3-4 times a month. I would keep the ottomans in the Guest room closet (big enough) when not in use. Has anyone ever had these type ottomans and if so did they work for you as intended?

I'm posting this because I keep thinking I'm not thinking outside the box. It seems there is a better solution.

So, I thought I'd post here and see what you talented Houzzers think. Not much room to do a queen bed over queen bed bunks. Besides, I can't make up the top bed. I'm trying to make my life easier! ;-)

The Guest Room will be 13'2" x 13'. It has 2 windows on the left of the room and two windows on either side of the bed. I'll attach some plans so you can see the layout. This is our final layout as we are going into construction drawings this week. We have altered and done as much changing as we are going to do. We love the plan as is.

Comments (18)