SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tara_reimer24

New lemon tree cold shipping damage help!

Tara Reimer
5 years ago

I recently received a Genoa lemon tree as a Christmas gift from a family member. The plant was purchased through Williams Sonoma, and the tree shipped from Four Winds Gardens. I was worried about the cold (I live in the midwest) and thus kept on top of tracking. I grabbed the package as soon as it arrived, but upon opening it, all of the leaves were wilted and some dried/curled. The leaves at the top of the tree are completely limp and translucent (they look like cooked spinach). I know this is the effect of shipping in the cold, but at this point I just dont know how to tell how severe the damage is. It’s been three days, and each day more leaves become curled and dried. I have yet to water it, as the soil it came in is already extremely moist.

From what Ive seen online, most forums talk about outdoor planted trees dealing with frost. They recommend waiting until spring to assess anything. Since my plant is potted indoors (will be potted outdoors in summer) I am unsure what to expect or how long to wait to assess the damage.

I have an email out, as of today to Williams Sinoma, but have yet to get a response from them. Im not really sure what to expect from them. If my tree really is severely frost damaged from the shipping, it will be extremely disappointing. But it’s not like they can send a different one either. It would just bring the same results, most likely. Ideally, had I known my Aunt planned on purchasing the lemon tree, I would have asked her to wait until spring. But at this point, it seems my options are limited. Id really appreciate any advice from people with more experience dealing with citrus.

Should I expect to see improvement now that it's inside? How long should I wait? Will the dried leaves die? Are there more steps I should be taking right now? etc.

Thanks so much to anyone who responds.

Comments (4)