SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yogmaya

Need help: Layout for the family room

Yogmaya S
5 years ago

I need your help with these two layouts. Option #1 has the TV above the fireplace and in option#2 the TV goes on the other wall. I would appreciate your help in selecting the best option for our family room. Family room is around 13'.6' X 20'. Thanks in advance!!

PS: the two small projection you see (option#2 behind the couch) are two columns and cannot be removed. These are painted white and the room is grey.

Comments (217)

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes. Swivel. One is stationary but can be swivel. So both are swivel.

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I will ask the detail about what he mean replace.

• Related Discussions

Den/Family Room Remodel - need help with flooring, layout, and decor

Q

Comments (7)
    Family Room remodel in progress... Space with no door leads to kitchen. French door leads to sun room.
    ...See More

Need layout help with narrow living room & family room !!

Q

Comments (2)
    Try a chaise sofa and one chair in the TV room so you have room for kids play area. In the living room use a 3-seat sofa and two chairs grouped around a coffee table and use floor lamp flanking the sofa.
    ...See More

Need help: Family room seating layout…

Q

Comments (6)
    If this is a true family room, try to have a couch facing the TV if you can. Sofas perpendicular to the TV will be uncomfortable seats for watching TV. How about a small scale (i.e. 74”) couch facing the TV, flanked by comfy swivel chairs and a cocktail ottoman in the middle? That’s a setup that would provide enough decent viewing seats to accommodate having a few friends over to watch a game etc., especially when you factor in the 2-3 bar seats.
    ...See More

Layout of family room needs help

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Beverly - thanks for your comment and COMPLETELY agree the paint color from the previous owner is awful! We'll be painting and re-carpeting once the built-in work is done. I was thinking if we altered the new built in to have no shelves, I could put a TV to the left of the fireplace in the built in. I could move the couch over to wall where the TV is, then maybe angle the love seat + another chair in front of the window (i have an oversized leather chair i love reading in but have no space for right now!). I'm worried this might space things out too much since the room is wider than it is long. Even though I'm not a big fan, I've also wondered if a sectional would suit us better in the space? Or once the built in is finished, it will free up a bit of space for a guest chair to the left of the fireplace per your suggestion.
    ...See More
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

Put both of them with the sofa and other chair. Does one sit more comfortable for you?

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Fabric. Yes the first one with bobble pictures if comfortable.

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

Think what colors you want in this room. Wall color probably cream or a gold would work best with this one.

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Between these two? The first and last one are same design but different color.

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

Not 1st one, 2 has possibility. Are you thinking your colors are gong to be gray & beige with a bit of gold thrown in? Do they have a solid gray in something that looks like a velvet?

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Grey and beige

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Based on your suggestions I am looking for solid color as well

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Swivel chair near the window is next to sofa

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

Can you post a photo of the swivel, sofa and fireplace chair all together? Hubby still ok or is he napping on his future sofa?

Yogmaya S thanked tedbixby
  • Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

How many samples will they let you take home?

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Or pattern

• tedbixby
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

No on that one.

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

6 samples we can take home

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

So I think you have enough selected to give you a good start. How many grey solid ones do you have?

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What’s your opinion of the swivel chair next to sofa?

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Grey brownish and bluish 5

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

Can you post a photo of the window swivel chair, the fireplace chair and the sofa that all 3 are in the same photo.

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

These five

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

I'd start with those 5 and the sofa fabric. Those 5 will give you a better idea of the color direction you should go compared to what a pattern would at this point.

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes. I added two more FW rice and as per your suggestions n we will go with solid color

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Again can’t thank you enough for all your help. Sorry I asked too many questions.

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is how the chair will next to sofa. He couldn’t move the love seat but we are going with the three seater.

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

FW rice? Yep, start with the solid and can figure out pattern later.

No, you didn't ask too many questions. I was working on my Alpine Christmas Market trip photos at the same time so it was a productive time for me, too.

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

wait a minute. I thought this swivel is for the window and the earlier chair was for the fireplace?? This chair looks like it could be too large for that space? Make sure you have all measurements.

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

This swivel looks much taller than the other earlier chair and I don't know if it is the photo angle but the chair looks like it is making the sofa look much smaller ( I know it is the love seat) due to the difference in the height of the back cushions. Because of that and since they will be so close to each other I don't know if it is better choice. It's not something you have to decide on tonight. Get the fabric home, look at all the photos you took, have the measurements and you can work on it tomorrow.

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry didn’t see your message. Asked him to move all three together and here are the pics

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The height of chair is 39.5 and sofa is 38

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Around 2” to 2.5” difference

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I don’t think my husband can come again so trying to make the decision today

• Hansen
    5 years ago
    One suggestion, take a picture of the mural above the fireplace and have it made into a print for your daughter. Walmart can make it poster size.
    Yogmaya S thanked Hansen
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

Are you fine coming back on your own? I think it would be a big mistake to make a decision tonight. You are making a decision in a store that has fluorescent bulbs compared to the natural lighting of your home and your soft light bulbs. Plus, you have no idea how these fabrics look with your wood flooring. This is an investment and to make a decision right now that you will have to live with if it ends up not right, or you ok with that? Of course he is tired. Is he going to be happy every time you look at something that you aren't happy with and complain? Myself, I'm tired and have other things to do now. I'm happy to help you tomorrow if you decide to take the fabrics home.

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Agree. We took the quote and will go home and make a decision.

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

and my apologies to keep you waiting.

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

No apologies needed as I know what it takes to figure it all out. Just happy that you aren't rushing into a decision. Taking an extra day could mean the difference between purchasing something that you smile every time you look at it vs something that you frown at. Have a good night.

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Have a wonderful night. Thanks

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Hansen— I might go with your suggestion.

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Good morning, oh my god, I read all of our conversation once again and it seems like I asked way to many questions. I appreciate your patience. Yesterday was really crazy. also my apologies for not responding to your questions. Regarding how we were selecting the sofa was based on the comfort and we also wanted to stick to our $1500 budget. FW rice = fabric —instead of my old eyes, I blame this one on autocorrect :).

Hubby was interested in the beginning but then gave up and read news. When I asked what are doing: he was like trying to sit on this cushion for longer time to see how it feels :). He was tired and very hungry by the time we left the store.

For replace they mentioned it would depend wheather they need to replace the entire unit or just the cushion. As my husband wants to go with the protection plan— in this, they would replace the whole unit.

We got total 7 swatches and will put them in the day light to see how they look. My husband is leaning toward a bluish one but I am not sure as we have a blue love seat in our den. This would make the entire theme blue— which I am not so sure about. I will put pictures of den in my idea book.

I would love to see your kitchen once done. I also renovated my kitchen recently. Still need to paint the kitchen but changed the island and painted the cabinets.

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

No worries about our conversation yesterday. You had to feel very torn apart dealing with me, the salesperson and your husband all at the same time-lol..

My hint on narrowing down swatches that I think helps is to take two of them. And between those 2, decide which one you like the best. Once you decide on that, discard the one you don't like. Put another swatch with the one you like and discard the one you like the least. Keep doing this until you get through the swatches. If possible, I hope you will have the opportunity to look at them also at night.

Other thing is what are these swatches for? Both window and fireplace chairs?

And if you like the blue, don't be concerned that you have it in another room. It's in another room and personally I like to take one color, if not more, and use it in each room to tie them together- even if it is a different shade of that color or even if it is in an accessory.

And even if you are anxious to get this done, don't settle if you aren't feeling any of the samples. If you love the sofa fabric, you can always get that ordered as the fabric is neutral enough and then you can look at more fabric samples or go shop other stores for the chairs. Shopping for the chairs you can always do on your own and when you have it narrowed down, then drag hubby to the store. In my livingroom, not one piece is the same brand.

The kitchen I was talking about is another Houzzer kitchen I'm helping with in a new house. Though I am putting the plans together for a huge remodel and additions to my house. Though at the snail pace I'm going it may be another yr before the work begins. I'm not very motivated as the job is going to take about 8-12 months and I will have to move out. The house is 19 yrs old and I knew when I bought it 3 yrs ago that it had very good bones but would need help to realize it's full potential and beauty. And that it needed more than lipstick..

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

Silly woman. Look at those photos you posted in the Ideabook of the swatches. Now do you really expect me to give you any advise on them? I can't see the majority of them as they are dark and lining them up is of no help. And how is a close up on a maroon sofa suppose to be of any help?

Unless you've narrowed it down?? :)

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was about to write about those swatches and no I wasn't going to ask you for advice as I am not sold on any of those swatches. I was going to say that all of them look really dark and I shortlisted two after looking them in different lights, which I put on the white chair but they still do not look good. I am back to square one.

Regarding your earlier comment, I am still not sure which chair would be beige same as sofa and which one would be other solid color.

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

Well, that was easy for me-lol.. Don't despair as this is part of the process. At least you know that you need now to look at lighter fabrics.

Why do you feel need to have the same fabric on a chair that will be on the sofa?

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

I came across this company today and wasn't going to tell you about it as from what little I looked at their sofa's, it appears that it would push your budget north. I do not know anything about them but what reviews I could find. that are not on their site, they are good ones. The problem is that they aren't sold in stores so you can't sit in them. I just spent a few minutes looking more at their site and thought this was a good article on cushions that they posted. https://furnitureblog.simplicitysofas.com/blog/what-everyone-needs-to-know-before-buying-their-next-couch/

• Yogmaya S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the article. I was traveling for work and just got the chance to read it. For the window chair, we both are going back and forth on the color. Based on all the fabric options we think beige will look better. Also, we are thinking stationary chair for window as we are not liking the shapes/look of swivel chairs. I placed two chair near window to see if we would use them to look outside but no one sat on them. I do have similar windows in my kitchen which we use a lot so going by this and the fact that we both despise the look of a swivel chair, we might go with stationary. I was planning on going back to the store this weekend but due to the upcoming snow storm, it will be pushed for one more week.

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

Thanks for the up-date. Sounds like your conversations are moving you forward. And I'm guessing that going beige for the chairs, you should be able to have a wide choice of beige on beige fabrics and texture fabrics. Stay safe and warm.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!