SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_hogan285

Help with mirror placement and size for master bath

Jennifer Hogan
5 years ago

Level setting first. I have a whole house to renovate, but while in Escrow I had a major health incident that has severely impacted my reno budget, so I am having to get creative with some of my design choices.

Currently I am doing the reno on my master bath. The house is an MCM Ranch and my furniture is all clean MCM teak.

The master bath had been redone about 15 years ago and the vanity the old owners put in was a well made, dark, heavy, ornate 48" vanity. They also left a 7" gap between the wall and the vanity that my dog thought was great! She would drop her ball back there and bark at it since she couldn't get to it. Great game to play while mom takes a bath, shower or sits on the toilet.

I wanted to avoid the cost of moving the plumbing and electrical, but also wanted to fix the 7" gap and replace the vanity with something more fitting to my style. (white with slab doors and drawer fronts)

Without budget limitations I would have moved the sink and lighting fixture and gotten a symetrical 55" cabinet with two banks of 15" drawers.

Instead I have solved the gap by purchasing a vanity with 18" drawers on the left and 12" drawers on the right, allowing the sink and lighting to remain in the original location. I did get a 1" spacer so that the drawers will clear the door jam.

The vanity has been delivered and I am installing it this weekend. I have hired someone to install the counter with an integrated sink.

I had to remover the old mirror to get the old vanity out, which involved cutting out the drywall and patching the drywall as the mirror was glued to the wall.

I think I want to go ahead and replace the mirror, but not sure what size to get, not sure if I should run it the whole length of the vanity or center it above the sink. Also not sure what to do with the outlet.

I have never tried moving an outlet myself before, but I have replaced outlets, so I think I could move it or hire someone to move it without a big hit to the budget.

Would love some opinions.

Sorry I don't have real pictures, but the bathroom currently has no vanity or mirror, so decided a drawing would be more informative.

Comments (8)