SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irissto

Any presents you are excited to give?

I have often complained about all the gift giving in this family. I have opted out of some occasions and have refused some from the beginning. For example I never had a name’s day as a kid and am pretty sure my daughters names are not even in whatever calendar my mother in law uses to find them. She just found something kind of close. Christmas is really over the top. Lots of presents to buy and wrap. Most have lists on Amazon or somewhere else. Nephew wrote his letter to Santa. I am Usually trying to include other things. How boring would it be otherwise? Some I am excited to give, Actually I like the giving better than the receiving in the first place. They might not be the most expensive gifts. This year I found the perfect purse for my younger daughter on Etsy (plus a matching wristlet) Her minor is in Entomology and she really loves all kinds of bugs. It’s looking really cool in person.

For my mother in law, I got 8 rolls of gift wrap with different designs my younger daughter drew. Penguins for winter, flowers, birds. They are already wrapped (yep, I wrapped wrapping paper), so I don’t have pictures. I took a picture of my leftover wrapping paper with her design. The ones for my mother in law are more mainstream and tamer, but you get the idea. She absolutely loves all of her kids /grandkids artwork, so I think she will really like it.

Any gifts you found you are really happy to give?

Comments (40)

• glenda_al
    5 years ago

Will be gifting son and his wife a gift card for attending a cooking school class with the chef of a well know restaurant here. He has numerous weekend classes they can choose from, for their choice of class to sign up for and date to attend.

I've attended several before and lots of fun and great experience.

Think they both will really enjoy.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked glenda_al
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That sounds like something fun for them to do together!

• Related Discussions

For any of you desert folks, I must say, sugar babes give me hope

Q

Comments (1)
    I missed the boat this spring for watermelon, but I'm planning on planting a crop next. My kids liked the thought of the yellow/orange ones, but hubby wasn't too fond of it. LOL Thanks for the advice, I'll have to try that one!
    ...See More

I present to you...

Q

Comments (26)
    Hi Daisydal, That's a lot of great stuff. Is that cabinet going to be out in the weather? What works for me is to spray anything iffy with that car undercoating you get at the auto parts store. You can use it on any surface and paint right over it. It's completely waterproof and really protects from water. Use painter's caulking to seal up anywhere that might let water seep in. You could also make a cute roof for it, so it's always shady as well as being more protected from the rain. Putting legs under it will keep it from rotting from moisture underneath. Even the larger pvc pipes cut to the same length and placed under it will work. Can't wait to see the 'after' pics. There I went, remodeling your potting shed for you, lol. Have fun!! Linda
    ...See More

Excited about Vintage order! Any advice?

Q

Comments (6)
    redbird, I have Arcadia LA Tea accidently in total shade - small but healthy. I may have to trim some trees. I don't know if that means she prefers a cooler place or what. Just letting you know. She has lovely flesh-colored flowers. My Bubble Bath is in the ground 8 months and getting to be pretty big in an arching way - about 3.5' tall, easily 6' across one way, not as wide the other way because he doesn't have many canes yet. Mainly air! The canes arch almost down to the ground. He gets maybe 3 hours of southern sun. Until about a month ago he was a complete "faith walk", because he had only a few wiry canes with precious few leaves. We have similar climates so even if it's just my yard, I wanted to warn you - don't give up on him. I tied string around bamboo stakes to hold up the thin canes that would have been all over the ground. Now he's starting to throw stronger side shoots off these canes giving a fountain effect and more bigger, greener leaves. I've had 3 or 4 small clusters of flowers so far. Sherry
    ...See More

Any good presents?

Q

Comments (6)
    Nice haul ravendonkey, although I have to admit I'll have to look up a few of those! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and is continuing to enjoy the holiday season. Mine was a perfect, coniferous Christmas! As my husband and I sat at the kitchen table Christmas morning (which we celebrated on Sunday because our daughters & their families were home) and dawn began to break, I started to see trees scattered all over the hillside where there were none the day before. They included a 15' Picea abies 'Pendula Major', a beautiful Tsuga diversifolia, a 6' Pinus leucodermis, a 6' Abies balsamea var. phanerolepsis, a 6' Pseudotsuga menziesii, and 2 6' Picea abies. My husband hauled 3 of these trees from a nursery about 100 miles away, and had them heeled in and hidden in a tree line behind our house and had been carrying buckets of water to some of them for a month! (He gets major brownie points this year!!) It was a balmy 45 degrees here yesterday, and we got 4 of them planted. What a perfect way to spend Christmas Day! Best wishes to you all for a happy, healthy, and conifer-filled 2008! Kim
    ...See More
  • Michael
    5 years ago

My daughter and son bought new vehicles this fall. Both are getting WeatherTech floor liners.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Michael
  • socks
    5 years ago

I like those liners, but they are not inexpensive. Nice gift. I wish I had one for my driver's side which gets filthy.

My friend is taking an Alaskan cruise. I found some nice Alaska books in a used book shop. Also found cute Fitz & Floyd salt and pepper shakers for her in a thrift shop (like new). We don't mind giving each other recycled or re-gifted gifts.

We barely exchange in the family as we are generous with each other throughout the year.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked socks
  • Elizabeth
    5 years ago

I have those liners and they certainly make the floor easy to clean and hold water, snow and road salt well. They are not comfortable on the feet. Very hard and deeply ridged.

I am excited to give DH some woodworking tools he has wanted for a long time but has hesitated to spend the money on. He will be very happy with them!

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Elizabeth
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

My youngest is a wrestling fan and when he watchers it he sets up his chess board and uses football figurines from McDonald's as wrestlers. .LOL....I got him a WWE wrestling ring and two wrestling figures....he's gonna LOVE it.

I can't wait to see his face when he opens it.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked mamapinky0
  • lisa_fla
    5 years ago

A silly item- but I bought (at Cracker Barrel) a cereal size box of a Lucky Charms type cereal with only the marshmallows for my 26 year old. She got in trouble a couple of times as a kid when she ate all of the marshmallows. LOL. It didn't have a price and rang up as $10-oh well, its Christmas and her bday. I'm putting it in her stocking. I told her I bet something in your stocking is in your top three favorite gifts this year-a dream come true for you.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked lisa_fla
  • amylou321
    5 years ago

Kinda, I guess. I usually only buy for SO, and he is a fuddy duddy about things like that. He will almost NEVER give me any gift ideas. Whenever I ask him what he wants for Christmas, his birthday, Valentines day, anything, he always says "I have you, i don't want anything else." When i get him gifts I will ask him which one he likes best, he will say, "you." It sounds romantic but he does it to try to DISTRACT me from the subject at hand!

This year I got him the standard heaps of Carhartt clothes and accessories, socks, undies, and t shirts,cologne, belts, stuff like that. I am kinda excited about a pocket knife which I had engraved with his name and a Love, from me on it. I also got him an engraved, refillable lighter which i think he will love as well.

I bought 2 of the new Roku Ultra boxes for BOTH of us and after i get them set up we will be cutting the cable cord.

At work,in my department, their are 5 of us, 4 minions and our boss. I really didn't want to buy individual gifts for everyone. 2 of the minions are newer, younger girls just starting their families. I feel like we should set the example now to not exchange gifts with each other. I think they will silently thank me when they have multiple children to buy for, as they both plan to have larger families. Anyway, the other night shift person informed me that he bought me and only me a gift, because he doesn't really get along with anyone else, so i had to buy him something. I gave it to him today, mainly to get it out of the way. I decided to buy US, as a department a new set of cookware, cooking utensils and a knife set as we have a full kitchen type setup here, and the stuff we have is ancient and badly needs to be upgraded. I was excited about the idea, but only 3 out of the 5 of us will use it, the other two barely know how to use the microwave, so that took the air out of my sails regarding that.

I think I am most excited about the 50 bucks each one of my nephew/Godsons will get from me. That was always MY favorite gift at 9 years old......

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked amylou321
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mama pinky, this sounds great! It’s so much fun watching someone open a gift they love.

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Amylou, I am having trouble with my husband’s gifts, too. So nothing very exciting for him. It’s just things I have been listening to this year. Like when he struggled to cut a pretty thick wire. He has a garage full of tools but struggled. Ok, a bolt cutter thing in his stocking. Just stuff like that.

• amylou321
    5 years ago

Iris,that's what I have to do! Listen and take notes all year. For example, back in the summer,he discovered that our local sheriffs deputy had a side mobile oil changing business. He called him up to change the oil in his diesel pickup truck. He told me about the neat little mat the guy had,like a creeper with no wheels. So i found one and put it in my amazon wish list. He has been losing weight and has had to punch holes in all his belts,so i added smaller,high quality belts and suspenders (carhartt,his favorite brand) to the list. I do that all year,then when It's time for gifts,I just go down the list adding them to my cart. I got him the mat and he always tells me you can never have too many tools,so I will probably go to Lowe's and get him another set of mechanics tools. That reminds me he can NOT keep track of a hammer. We must have 6 that have disappeared and are laying around our property,lost forever.So I'll get him a couple more of those too.

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love the cereal idea. That’s something my older daughter would get a kick out of. Mats for the car were my husband’s favorite a few years ago. I love the books, too. Books are actually my favorite presents. The men in this family love tools. Elizabeth, hope your husband will be happy with his.

• Dolly
    5 years ago

Iris, that is a neat purse. Your daughter will be delighted.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Dolly
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Amylou, you are incredible! I should really do it your way. I am sure I am forgetting 3 out of 4 things I hear with him and other family members.

• colleenoz
    5 years ago

Amylou, perhaps you should install a tracker in the hammer before you give it to your DH.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked colleenoz
  • natesg
    5 years ago

I looking forward to giving my mom a memory book. She’s 89 and has dementia, and lives in a memory care facility. She recognizes most of us but often forgets names. I used Shutterfly and printed 30 pages of her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren with their names beside the pictures. Also in larger print. I am excited to give it to her but I also feel bad because I know she will cry.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked natesg
  • amylou321
    5 years ago

Collenoz, I am surprised at his inability to keep up with hammers and only hammers. He is the type who remembers exactly where he put something,especially tools, when he put it there, how he left it,which way it was facing, and how many fingerprints were on it. But hammers are beyond that ability for him I guess.

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Natesg, this will be a good cry.

• DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Iris, you came up with some great gifts. The purse is so unique and sounds perfect for your daughter. Love the wrapping paper; your youngest is a very talented artist. I think you will make your MIL very happy with that gift.

Glenda, cooking school is a great couple's activity. Hubby and I took a one day class and we had a lot of fun. They will really enjoy it.

All of you have come up with really creative and thoughtful gifts for the people in your lives. That's what gift giving is all about!

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked DawnInCal
  • bpath
    5 years ago

Those are all such great ideas. I am a terrible gift-giver. It is rare that I give a really good gift. Last year I gave my sons and brothers "Man Crates", and my 18 yr old said it was the best-wrapped gift he ever got: I gave him the Puzzle Crate where you have to solve a series of puzzles to get to the gift. The gift was a gift card which really meant nothing to him, but he loved the puzzles. Took him an hour to do it! So this year I'm giving him the next puzzle-type crate. Those crates are pretty fun for guys.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked bpath
  • greenshoekitty
    5 years ago

I am excited to give the grandsons lots of things to learn to cook with. When I cook with them I have to take a lot of my things over,as their dads stuff is just to big for them to use, and takes some of the fun away. The most excited thing tho is to see the 8 year old open ( to him) the waffle iron . He wants one very much. When mom says they need to go to the dr. In Seattle, he will ask if shots may be given and then say it’s ok if they get to go to the Waffle House after for lunch. He was in awe when mom said she could make them if they could find a waffle iron.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked greenshoekitty
  • roxanna7
    5 years ago

Giving horse-related things to 9 year old granddaughter, along with riding lessons. She will be thrilled. We are trying to give "experiences" for our grands instead of more toys, etc. Not always easy to figure out, tho.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked roxanna7
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow, the origami looks great!

• sprtphntc7a
    5 years ago

bought both my DD's Tiffany's necklaces, double heart and had them engraved... so excited.

one DD just bought a car in the summer and giving her Weather Tech mats.

other DD apple pen for her iPad.

DS needed a new suit, so that's his gift, not exciting for us but it is for him.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked sprtphntc7a
  • nicole___
    5 years ago

I have Weather Tech mats.....love them! Lucky charms marshmellows, riding lessons, insect paper(so pretty!), wrestling ring/toys, riding lesssons,Tiffany, a memory book....

YOU ALL ARE SO THOUGHTFUL and really used your imaginations to please the people in your life you love. Thanks for all the stories.

My husband has been working really hard getting this house fixed up so we can live in it comfortably. I found a BIG red glitter sign that says, "I'm grateful".

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked nicole___
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Nicole, that’s so sweet.

• pegasus101
    5 years ago

I gave my sister, who lives in another country, a gift certificate for her favourite restaurant, my brother-in-law received a gift certificate for Starbucks. My Dh will receive binoculars, a phone cleaner and a few other things.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked pegasus101
  • Alisande
    5 years ago

You guys have lots of great ideas! I don't know if it's really more blessed to give than receive, but it sure is more fun. This year I'm particularly excited about a couple of things. I commissioned a close friend, a professional cartoonist, to create caricatures to give as gifts: my daughter and her husband on their mountain bikes (with their two cats trailing behind), and my two grandsons (4 and 7) as superheros scaling tall buildings. The artwork is 9x12, in color. I matted and framed them, and they look so cool!

I'm also excited about two little gifts I'm helping my grandsons make to give to their parents: Time Capsule ornaments. I interviewed each of them about their year--favorite places they visited, best friends, top book, food, etc.--and printed the results on red card stock that we then cut into strips. The boys put the strips into clear plastic ball ornaments, and I will add a little photo to each. I printed them last night with 2018 in big letters on them. I think the boys and their parents will be equally excited to give and receive them.

PS: If anyone is interested in the caricature idea for birthdays or whatever, send me a message. My friend accepts orders, and it's a bargain!

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Alisande
  • Fun2BHere
    5 years ago

You all have come up with some great ideas. I’m usually a good and creative gift-giver, but I’ve lost my mojo this year. I’m not excited about any of the gifts I’ve purchased...hope to do better next year.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Fun2BHere
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Love the time capsule ornament idea. I should help my nephew do something like this next year.

• Kathsgrdn
    5 years ago

I keep wanting to make a book for each child (grown) with pictures from their life. I always forget about it until just before Christmas. Maybe I'll do it for their birthdays. I also keep meaning to get my wedding set made into some type of necklace or ring for my daughter...again, I keep forgetting. Nothing I'm really excited about. I just hope they like what I got them.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Kathsgrdn
  • gigirambles
    5 years ago

This year, when I asked my friend what her children wanted she gave me ideas. But the one child - who is a sports nut - requested a specific electric pencil sharpener. I grilled her on it. Because, seriously? Who wants to be that person that buys a pencil sharpener for a third grader?! She assured me he would be "over the moon" if I got him that exact gift. So, crossing my fingers, I bought it...we'll see how this goes.

There is usually one gift that I am really excited about giving - but so far this year, nothing stands out.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked gigirambles
  • PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    5 years ago

I bought my brother a coffee bean roaster plus a supply of green coffee beans, and I think he will enjoy this, as he likes his beans roasted a certain way (light or blond) and they are more difficult to find than dark roasted beans. We do not normally exchange gifts, but this year he was diagnosed with colon cancer (at age 53) and after his surgery, he now has to live with a colostomy bag. While he was in the hospital, a couple of his co-workers (friends) visited him, and one of them did grocery shopping for us, as I was recuperating from surgery at the same time. So I made some pillows for them with fabric that I got at work. I made one for my sister as well. The fabric is from 24" x 24" samples of fabric that is now discontinued, and so I got the samples for free, but if I had had to buy the fabric it would have been $144 to $175 a yard wholesale. I also made some chocolate Habanero hot sauce that one of his employees loves, and so she will be getting some of that in addition to the pillow. The chocolate Habanero chilies are very difficult to grow and they are impossible to find in stores (very occasionally at a farmers' market here), but they have a very distinctive smoky/earthy flavor that a lot of people (including me) love. I grill the chilies over wood/charcoal to intensify the smoky flavor. Anyway, the sauce is rather labor-intensive to make, considering I have to grow the chilies, but I still feel like I'm being cheap when I give it as a gift since it costs me very little to make, other than my time.

I put zippers in the pillows I made, and that was the biggest pain in making those. I've given pillows to people before who did not appreciate them - one person wanted liquor instead.

One year that our family had Secret Santa, I got my BIL's name, and I made him a really nice heavy knit nightshirt, but my sister stole it from him.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Lars/J. Robert Scott
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lars, your kind of gifts are the ones I appreciate the most. Believe me, they will know the labor you put in there. This makes it extra special.

• susie53_gw
    5 years ago

I no longer do Christmas shopping. I give my daughter’s the money for their families and they do all of it. With the grandkids getting older and the kids having new homes they know what they want. However, I picked up a mug in a gift shop at a hospital that I love.. I have bought 25 of them to give as gifts. They are called a Swig. They keep liquids hot or cold for hours.. They come in so many colors. I know they will love them.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked susie53_gw
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Up until a few years ago when my husband became ill the kids and I spent at least one day a month at the local woman and kids shelter. It only houses 12 adults and their kids. I'd make a huge pot of soup or stew homemade rolls and off we would go to the shelter. They always ask us to stay and share the meal with them. The boys enjoyed playing with all the kids...it was always a few hours of enjoyment.

This Christmas were going back...around noon on Christmas Eve. I'm making the cheapest thing I can for a crowd. ..Stew...it won't have a great deal of meat in it but it will be full of veggies and tasty. I'm making homemade bread and a big texas sheet cake...

My boys went thru their toy boxes, closet and shelves...tons of toys gently used and clean along with board games and books which they will give to the kids.

I also packed up a bunch of laundry detergent to donate. LOL

We will have a late lunch early dinner with the women and kids and share coffee and cake afterwards. Than Tim my 11 yo will read Rudolph, we'll sing a few songs and head home.

This is the gift I'm most excited about giving. ..to the women and children and to my boys.

I used to share my visits to the shelter in the laundry room and came across an older post a few months ago which brought back happy memories...I knew than I wanted to do it again this year.

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mamapinky, this sounds wonderful. Thank you so much for doing this.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Iris, Thank You but no need for thanks...I have done this many times in the past and I truely enjoy it. Most of the time the women are all respectful and very likeable. Often they will share their stories why they ended up in a shelter... many of which was do to domestic violence. ...but I met a lovely woman with two young kids...she was quiet and reserved, well spoken and prefered sitting at the dining table with her children...quietly...ends up she was very well off..beautiful home, great schools, ect...but returning home after two weeks vacation she found her locks changed on the house..and a for sale sign out front...he took everything. .cancelled her CC's....she had no family and no where to go...she was scared and heartbroken.

I have a tiny gold heart locket that the shelters manager gave me from this woman with a verbal*** Thank You for giving my children peace and laughter during our most troubled days***

I was touched profoundly. ..she had nothing but her few luggages from vacation...yet gave me a locket.

So some people end up homeless for reasons other than the common.

I've been told this woman won the custody battle and was awarded her fair share of assets. ..good for her.

• donna_loomis
    5 years ago

My son's Christmas list included shopping bags that are non-girly. Back story: he does a podcast in which he and a friend review cigars. He doesn't buy them. Companies send them to him gratis for their honest review and sometimes they pair them with different beers. Not my thing, but to each their own. I was delighted to find fabric that I am sure will meet with his approval. I made him six new shopping bags.