SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmpsd

Need help identifying smell coming from bathroom

dmpsd
5 years ago

There is a foul odor emanating from my son's bathroom. I am desperate for help.

The smell comes and goes. I think it has existed for a while now, but either it has gotten worse or my family has gotten more sensitive because we can all smell it now. I think it may be worse after he showers, but I am not sure. I also believe it is coming from the shower. When I put my nose in the drain, it smells bad. Neither the sink nor the toilet seem to have any smell coming from them.

The bathroom was redone 4 years ago. We pulled permits, so it passed all city inspections. There is no sign of any water damage on the walls surrounding/behind the shower. We have a pocket door on the wall behind the shower valves, so with that door removed, you can see that everything behind the shower valves is dry. There is a bathroom immediately below this bathroom that was done this summer. The ceiling of that bathroom was open during the redo and you could see the plumbing from my son's bathroom and everything was dry. I believe the smell existed even before the downstairs bathroom was redone.

A plumber came out to look at it and he speculated that there was build up in the pipes (even though they drain fine). He treated the pipes with Sizzle and it smelled better for a day. The smell is back. I asked him if it could be something related to the plumbing venting system and he said no because if that was the case the smell would come from other parts of the bathroom and would be in other parts of the house. I am not sure this is correct, but he is the plumber and I am an internet sleuth.

Since he didn't seem to have any other ideas, I am going to call another plumber, but if you have any ideas, please let me know. I am desperate!! (Before the plumber came, I tried pouring baking soda and vinegar in the drain. That did not help.)

Comments (22)