SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_109265008

Need help identifying sweet smell from AC / HVAC fan

HU-109265008
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

There is a sweet smell coming from my HVAC vents. It randomly happens when I'm running the air conditioner, and it almost always happens when I run the air conditioner for ~10 minutes then switch to the HVAC fan with heat setting. I've had the air conditioner unit, the output vents on the roof, and the water heater inspected. There doesn't seem to be any leaks or mold in these areas. There doesn't seem to be any pipes with open P-traps nearby either. I had the filter replaced last week.

A few days ago I had the AC on for ~30 minutes. During this time the AC ran twice. I started to get a scratchy throat so I decided to circulate the air by turning on the HVAC fan (I also set the thermostat to heat although I don't know if this impacts the fan operation). About ten minutes later I noticed a strong sweet smell in my bedroom and living room. I turned the fan off, waited 30 minutes, then turned on the heater. The sweet smell slowly went away as the heater ran. The next day I could still smell feint traces of the sweet smell. It seems like the smell rests on the walls and floor once it leaves the vents.

I've never experienced anything like this so I am not sure if this smell is like formaldehyde, freon, or sewer gas. Since moving into this apartment I've had irritated eyes and allergic reaction symptoms. I think these are related to this smell.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Comments (7)