SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirty_gardener

RANT: Plant thieves are so annoying

dirtygardener
5 years ago

Since I sell some (very few) of my plants (to support my habit), I keep an inventory of what I have. This morning, while moving plants back outside, I was short one of a certain type of brugmansia. It wouldn't be a big deal except that's the third one of just those that's gone missing. I tried to convince myself the last two must have died or I must have given them away, but I don't believe that now. I can't imagine why that's the only one that's being stolen, but it seemingly is, because nothing else is gone.

I give away more plants than I sell, and if someone asks me for something, I usually give it to them. if I have multiples, or at least give them a start from it. I lived in the ghetto for a year, and not one of my plants was stolen. People asked me for some, and I gladly gave them or traded them, but not one of them disappeared. That they are disappearing from my courtyard means someone is intentionally trespassing on my property to do this, and I feel violated. It's not the plants, it's that sense of insecurity it causes that bothers me.

I like leaving my courtyard gate open during the day so that the neighbor cat can get in, She likes to sit in the sun in my chair and chase lizards in my garden. Also, it increases airflow, which is very important since it's walled in on two sides and two sides are flanked by the building. I hate having to lock my gate, and only usually do so when I'm leaving for an extended period of time. I leave it unlocked but closed when I'm just walking down to the store or going to wash clothes at the laundry room. Now I feel unsafe in my own space, and will have to keep it locked at all times.

I don't even feel safe posting what I'm growing now on forums, because someone may figure out where I am, or someone who has already been here may come back and start stealing plants, or even worse, break into my apartment.

I've never felt unsafe inviting fellow gardeners into my courtyard to pick and choose what they want, after all, gardeners are the nicest people. Now I do, and that's just terribly sad to me, because it brings me such joy to share my small bounty with others. So from now on, I'll be less trusting and more cautious, which makes me very, very, VERY sad.

Comments (7)