SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

I went to a Bereavement session today......

Jasdip
5 years ago

I was hoping I didn't have to take part in one, but I'm having a tough time without my sweetie. I thought it was hard when Mom passed, losing a spouse is much, much worse.

I was really balking at going to a session because I didn't want to be in a room with a bunch of blubbering strangers. Everyone told their story.......I was the newbie with the most recent passing. Everyone had a parent or a spouse pass at least a year ago. One gentleman's wife died a number of months ago and he's now having a tough time, even harbouring suicidal thoughts.

My sweetie has been gone just 4 weeks, and yes I blubbered telling my story. I told of the obit I wrote for him, which mentioned how excited and privileged he felt to be part of the Ride for Dad,and that he was the spokes-person for our local hospital's virtual network which does follow ups with the oncologist and nursing team via computer.

I got a call from the marketing dept of the hospital earlier this week expressing their sorrow, and they still have his poster up in the hospital because of the virtual sessions that he was part of. Their last meeting was all about Tom and how they remembered him, and how thankful they were.

I was looking thru his Facebook a week or so ago, seeing all of his photos and postings and came across this. It just tore me apart. I should print it out on nice paper and frame it, then I'll be crying as long as I live :-(

He posted this back in the spring, he was "healthy", but we were in the midst of some treatments.

What does one do or say about a life partner that has the same concerns, worries, fears and yet, does the heavy lifting, keeps things on a positive note, loves, laughs, cooks, is there for every appointment, has sensible, positive input, sees and expresses a positive outcome no matter what? I have no idea what one does and I do not have nearly the ability to put into words how amazed, appreciative, thankful and deeply in love with her that I am.

I still have battery candles lit, I want him to see me. They're burning thru the batteries quick, I only get 3-4 days out of them. I turn them off on bright sunny days, I figure he wouldn't see a candle, but hey, what do I know. What I think, and what he does, is just guesswork.

A couple of the women piped up today and told me to keep coming back. They said that they don't know how they would have survived without the support group. It's held a couple of times/month, so I'll go to more and see how it goes and how I feel. This time of year is tough on everyone at the meeting, it doesn't bother me so much. Hubby and I celebrated just with the two of us, since Mom passed. She had everyone over (step-kids) for Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. Since she's gone, funny, I never get invited to any of their gatherings, just my step-father and his kids get together. But we were happy to just be together, just the two of us.

I'll decorate Rudy, the little Norfolk pine this weekend. Even the music doesn't bother me, except that I remember us going for a drive up north last year at this time to see his brother and sister-in-law and we loved listening to the Christmas music. I'd laugh at that Hawaiian song (teekeeleekie or some such thing). He lived in Hawaii for a year or so and he knew how it was pronounced. I heard that song on the radio today and I remembered him saying it. We bought each other just a few small gifts last year, 2 Christmas Lottery packs each, being part of them. So I bought 4 Christmas packs for "us" this year too.

I've been keeping in touch with some long-distance and closer friends by emailing. Sharing their experiences has helped me. Knowing that I'll never 'get over it' is helpful, something, somewhere will set something off. I can't even speak his name without crying yet. So I was hoping the one-on-one sharing would be enough without having to go to a group session. Time will tell, I guess.

Comments (47)