Hubby came home and thought he hit it big - for Christmas that is.

two25acres

We've always had cats and because of that I hesitated to put a tree skirt under the tree. Whenever I did the cats would gravitate to it, lounge and then proceed to attack some of the ornaments. Well we have only 1 cat now, she's not very playful so I thought I would try the tree skirt. Couldn't find one I liked and didn't have time to make one so I wrapped a bunch of empty boxes, placed them all around the tree and it looks much better. It's just hubby and I and we have never really purchased gifts for each other so the tree was always a bit bare underneath. Well he let out a big yahoo when he came home from a road trip, he was a bit disappointed though after lifting each box and shaking them. He couldn't understand why they were so light. I had to let him down gently. Please imagine santa shaking a bunch of empty boxes. My guy looks like santa year round. Gotta love him though.

SaveComment30Like14
Comments (30)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rob333 (zone 6b/7a)

Well now you gotta fill them! He was too excited not to.

15 Likes Save     Thanked by two25acres
marylmi

Awe. I agree with Rob, they need to be filled! :)

4 Likes Save     Thanked by two25acres
susanwv

Get the poor guy something!

2 Likes Save     Thanked by two25acres
two25acres

I'll be getting him something but we are frugal and we will wait for sales after Christmas. Before Christmas he is getting a car. We need to replace our truck after 14 years. I've asked him for a couple of things but he will not commit to a list for me.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

Cheat. Buy him stuff that he probably needs like underwear and socks. Perhaps several of his favorite candies or small packages of cookies. Wrap each item in a separate box. If you roll the underwear it will make an interesting sound when hitting the side of the box.

It may only be in this area and I have to admit I have not shopped the two days before Christmas for a long time but those two days had better bargains than the days following Christmas.

1 Like Save     Thanked by two25acres
Lucille

You went through a lot of trouble for appearances. Christmas is much deeper than appearances and dressed up boxes, a Kardashian dresses up boxes for appearances. You've got to figure a way to fill them on Christmas Eve.

Being frugal is fine, many frugal people put stuff in boxes for Christmas without breaking the bank. Hand made, home made, find a few bargains.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by two25acres
joyfulguy

Maybe he could learn to become enthused about a pencil ... and some paper?

Perhaps wrapped as a (e.g. birthday) present and placed next to his plate at dinner/supper?

With a suggestion that he spend some time with pencil in hand, next to paper, in contemplation of building a short list ... well, as short as seems appropriate, of items (beyond a heart-felt kiss) that might be fitting to offer a spouse, prior to Christmas?

Good wishes for success in your quest - and for a merry and meaningful Christmas ... enjoying your new truck.

ole joyful ... still enjoying his "new" (2007 vintage) Grand Priz

two25acres

A Kardashian I am not. I wanted to the house and tree to look nice for both of us. He will get things for Christmas, he more than likely wont be home for the actual holiday. He is a motorcoach bus driver and does week long charters. We're thinking he will be at Disney for the week. I'll be home by myself which is ok. That's just another reason we will celebrate after. When he is home we treat ourselves to a fancy dinner out at a restaurant we would not normally visit.

Our current truck is 17 years old, we've had it for 14 years, pushing 400,000 miles. We don't want to give it up but for his safety and reliability we feel the need to replace it. We buy used and are looking at the Buick Enclave.

6 Likes Save    
joyfulguy

My mistake: I thought you'd said that he had a new (to you) truck.

Congrats on having kept your current old truck reasonably reliably operational for these many years.

And hopes offered for success as you choose a car ... and for many years of reliable service from whatever you choose.

ole joyful

Save     Thanked by two25acres
nickel_kg

He drives week long charter trips? I bet he's seen some mighty interesting things ... !

A favorite memory of mine is my daughter's 2nd (or was it 3rd?) birthday. My sister gift-wrapped some kraft mac & cheese for her. She LOVED it -- the box made fun sounds when she shook the gift, and it was (still is) one of her favorite meals.

That could be a fun Christmas game -- everybody bring a wrapped "shakable" gift. Who can guess the most items?

CindyMac

two25acres, familiar scenario here. I'm guessing at least half of our 40 years together dh has had to work Christmas week. We celebrate when it's convenient for us. As for gifts, we stopped exchanges years ago. One year I put wrapped empty boxes under the tree, but they didn't stay there for long. I'm happy with just the tree skirt and occasionally a kitty (under my watchful eye).

8 Likes Save     Thanked by two25acres
arkansas girl

This made me laugh out loud! I had to read it to my husband because we are very much the same and I could see myself wrapping up empty boxes so it would look better. I feel bad for your husband! HAHA! At least you didn't put lumps of coal in them! :P

Lucille

I think the skirt and kitty are beautiful! That particular kitty looks VERY comfortable.

chaser15

The above discussion is why I make "perpetual gifts", lighted glass blocks with bows and ribbons, and a poem to look like a gift.

Save    
Amazing Aunt Audrey

Now u know how excited he really is about Christmas. He still believes in Santa

My tree should be like this lol

5 Likes Save    
Rose Pekelnicky

I saw something new for the bottom of your tree. It is called a tree collar, comes in 2 sections. I saw a wicker one at Sams club.

CindyMac

Chaser, where do you buy the glass blocks? I checked online and Lowe's wants $10 each. That seems high.

Save    
joyfulguy

Hi Rose p,

That trèe with accompanying equipment looks something like a cone-ifer, that's been somewhat trunk-ated, it looks like, to me, since only about half of the (upside-down) cone seems on hand.

A cat might agree, ya figger?

Jes' sayin'.

o j

Save    
colleenoz

Our cats would think that wicker skirt was their personal scratching post :-)

I saw a funny “tip” for parents the other day: put wrapped, empty boxes under the tree. Every time a child is naughty, toss one into the fire.

3 Likes Save    
OutsidePlaying

I laughed too about the empty boxes, for a minute, and then I felt kinda sad for your DH, poor guy. Mine never will tell me much what he wants for Christmas. Having just had hip replacement, he hasn’t been in the mood for much of anything lately but has turned the corner so maybe I’ll get something out of him. Why don’t you wrap up some of his favorite snacks and a few gadgets like a small flashlight or phone charger for him to take on his bus trips?

I found a book by one of DH’s favorite authors yesterday, and I usually find a couple of gadgets for his stocking.

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 6b/7a)

My sister by marriage posted the empty box on the fire joke; love it! The other joke I saw was, wanna get rid of some junk? Put it in Amazon boxes, and leave them on your porch

3 Likes Save    
maifleur01

I too feel sorry for the husband which is why I made my suggestion to wrap what he needs. I understand being money poor especially when facing all the costs of buying a new truck but although he may not of said anything inside he was probably crying thinking he was seeing a rare treat then discovering it was not to be. Seeing all of those packages then realizing that they were empty must have hurt.

1 Like Save    
georgysmom2

My husband would be thrilled with the empty boxes! I use to buy him lots of gifts for Christmas and he would tell everyone that my gift to him was lots of presents and his gift to him was to take them all back. :-)))) He's the martyr in the family. Denies himself everything. I say every family needs a martyr and I'm glad it's not me.

2 Likes Save    
cooper8828

We don't go crazy at Christmas either, and socks are a popular gift. DH does wrap everything in a bunch of boxes to make it look spectacular. The first time I asked him why he did that, he replied "It's all about deception." :)

Save    
Yayagal

Very funny.

Save    
adellabedella_usa

I like the idea of adding more gifts for your husband under the tree. I know you want to keep the costs down. Maybe it could be something you would already do, but package it as a series of date nights or adventures. Print out a pass to rent a movie or go see one together. Another a pass to see the sun rise or sunset. Could be a picnic to see some place local or even coffee on the patio. Can you go on one of the booked trips with him where he drives? Presumably, he already has a hotel room and the ride is paid for. Just go and hang out with him. I think you could put together something enjoyable without a lot of extra cost if you think about it.

Save    
chaser15

CindyMac, I get the glass blocks at A.C. Moore, $5 ea.

Save    
nicole___

two25....my husband would have reacted the same way. He loves to be the center of "fun" and surprises for him would fit that bill. I saw him get excited over a box of carpenters pencils once.......so it's the little things he enjoys.

CindyMac

Chaser, thanks. No AC Moore here. I'll check Michael's.

Save    
Naomi Hertz

I would fill those boxes. I love to give (probably too much) at Christmastime. We save heavily for the Christmas Holidays during the year with a saving account at our bank. We also give money along with gifts to spend on the after Christmas sales. Hubby and I give each other gifts. We give children and spouses and grands and great grands each a gift. That is why we save heavily during the year, and we LOVE doing so. Oh, forgot! The dogs and grand dogs, grand cats get presents too! There are only two great grand cats that are in the family and we get them some kind of interactive toy the great grands can play along with their kitties. We always find out from the mother or father what is something they would like. Can you tell I love Christmas time!!??

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Features The Winchester Mystery House Hits the Big Screen
Helen Mirren’s new movie delves into the mind behind the bizarre California mansion. We go behind the scenes
Full Story
Before and Afters When Retirement Came Early, a Couple Headed for the Hills
A Seattle pair turn their part-time home into a full-time one, remodeling it to gain views and help it stand up to snow, sun and wind
Full Story
Vintage Style 5 Reasons to Hit That Secondhand Store
New things have their place, but old things have a history and beauty all their own
Full Story