SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robinlmorris

Edible privacy needed ASAP! Bananas?!?

Robin Morris
5 years ago

Hello,

I very much need some privacy between me and my unpleasant neighbor. After an extensive remodel, our new deck looks right into her backyard.

I am really into edible landscaping. I have a very small lot and more fruit trees and vegetables on my wish list than I can possibly fit, so I don’t want to waste any space planting ornamental hedges.

The main area where we need privacy asap is right next to the house by our glass back door. We also have had issues with roof/citrus rats in the past, so I am also worried about attracting rats so close to our house/door.

The good news is that we live in a great micro climate in the Bay Area where you can grow cherries next to avocados and get fruit on both… Our lowest low is around 30 but it never really gets hot either.

We are building a 2’ high 22’x 5’ wide raised bed near the fence to give the trees/plants a head start (our deck is about 2’ up as well). The area will have full southern exposure.

Here is what I am considering:

• Bananas - I know some varieties will grow here and they grow fast…. Are they good for year round privacy? Will they attract rats? Will they be to big for the 5’ wide bed? How closely can I plant them? What varieties should I plant?
  • Lime or Lemon Trees - Will the rats eat sour citrus? How long will it take to get these at 6’ or more?
  • Figs - Is the branching thick enough to give some privacy in the winter? I know they will grow fast… how close together can I plant them?
  • Bay Laurel - I know this tree is a slow grower… does anyone know where I can get a 5’ tree or larger in the Bay Area?
  • Avocados - Are the trees too large for the 5’ area? We have a Lamb Hass in our front yard that has 2 fruit even though I don’t have a pollinator (the zutano I planted next to it died) .

Any other possibilities?

Thanks!

Comments (30)