SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dslieberman

Please help: do I need an interior or an exterior French drain???

Daina L
5 years ago

I live in a townhouse, so my two side walls are shared with another unit. The units are offset. In the basement, along the front of the house and the offset corner with one neighbor, we have some foundation cracks. One crack runs horizontally along the shared wall and then in the area where that wall is not shared (because of the offset nature of the units), the crack turns and becomes vertical. The vertical crack weeps when it rains, and there are several other vertical weeping cracks along the foundation on the wall across the front of the house.

I have gotten a number of estimates and everyone wants to do something different, at different price points. One company wants to install an interior French drain and sump pump. The drain would run 3 walls, corner to corner--the front, the shared weeping wall, and the back. They want $12K for 68 ft. I also have a company that would do a French drain along the front wall and then 5 or 6 feet along the adjoining walls. They want $3500. Both of these companies have lifetime warranties--no water on those walls--that transfer with ownership of the house. Obviously if we used either company, we would have to spend more money to fix the basement (drywall, flooring).

I have another estimate from a company who wants to excavate the front yard, reparge the foundation on the outside, set up a drain system, and regrade the yard, to the tune of $20K. This company has a 20 year warranty on the wall that gets reparged, which would be the front wall and the offset bit.

Suggestions? Advice? I'm getting one more estimate this weekend, but I believe this company will be even more expensive than the others. I should add that we do not plan to retire in this townhouse. We are hoping to have kids and eventually move into a larger home.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can provide! :)

Comments (3)